Sign in to follow this  

husqvarna 610 failing to start.

Hello out there.

Not been on here for a while as I have been busy with surgery on my hand.

Been running my husqvarna 610 for a year and it's brillant until the other day I was out and the bike died with no electrical power.

Got the bike back to my workshop and stripped it down and found the ground lead from the battery had backed off.  Crimped on new lugs onto the cables as they didn't look brillant.  Battery back on and power back on.

Went to start the bike and it just spun over with no coughs.  checked for spark and got the faintest spark, so checked the system and everything is supposedly in spec.  Only thing I can't check is the cdi.

Well I made up a test CDI for my old 610 using a lifan 250 digital cdi and wiring harness that i kept when  sold the other bike.  Dug it out my toolbox, plugged it in and the bike fired straight up.  Tuned the bike and the bike runs but it's not the BANG the bike had which i assume is due to the ignition curve on the CDI

This seemed to look as the old CDI got spiked.  I have since purchased a "new " cdi that has 3 ignition curves on it (switchable).  I plugged it in and got nothing again.  Plugged in the lifan and bang, bike fired straight up.

So this means I have 2 duff CDI's OR the lifan CDI can produce a bigger spark from less juice from the ignition.

Just wondering if anyone who has a running bike can chuck a multimeter at the bike and give me the relevent specs for resistance, voltage output and anything else they can think off.

Hello out there.

Not been on here for a while as I have been busy with surgery on my hand.

Been running my husqvarna 610 for a year and it's brillant until the other day I was out and the bike died with no electrical power.

Got the bike back to my workshop and stripped it down and found the ground lead from the battery had backed off.  Crimped on new lugs onto the cables as they didn't look brillant.  Battery back on and power back on.

Went to start the bike and it just spun over with no coughs.  checked for spark and got the faintest spark, so checked the system and everything is supposedly in spec.  Only thing I can't check is the cdi.

Well I made up a test CDI for my old 610 using a lifan 250 digital cdi and wiring harness that i kept when  sold the other bike.  Dug it out my toolbox, plugged it in and the bike fired straight up.  Tuned the bike and the bike runs but it's not the BANG the bike had which i assume is due to the ignition curve on the CDI

This seemed to look as the old CDI got spiked.  I have since purchased a "new " cdi that has 3 ignition curves on it (switchable).  I plugged it in and got nothing again.  Plugged in the lifan and bang, bike fired straight up.

So this means I have 2 duff CDI's OR the lifan CDI can produce a bigger spark from less juice from the ignition.

Just wondering if anyone who has a running bike can chuck a multimeter at the bike and give me the relevent specs for resistance, voltage output and anything else they can think off.

where did you get the new ign from,

can they not tell you the correct figures..??

I would try ,

1, Taliesin  - wales 610 specilist

2,Motorcycle HQ, West london - ran 610 race teams

3 huskysport - or one of the ignition rebuild companies,

there's one 10 miles from me = Henley on Thames - Oxfordshire area - advertise on Ebay.

good luck,

charlie

hello charlie,

I had a similar issue with my previous 610 with an iffy ignition.

sent the stator off to west country rewinds who repaired it and all was good. I wrote the specs down on some paper and put it safe.  I got rid of the bike and picked up another which I have been riding for a year. 

I remember the pick up coil has a resistance of 100-130 and the exciter is supposed to be 260 ohms.  Just can't remember what the vac should be from the coils as I have scope.

The cdi came from a guy who brought it for his 610 that found out is was something else causing his problem (wire broke in case)  He said he got it from moto supplies.