Ender_

clogged pilot jet on a CRF50 - Success!

Seems to be the strongest wire to use in this case. Just don't give up and keep spinning it as your pushing it. Mine was aweful!when you do get the wire through all holes I'd soak it again and clean on it a few more times. Reason being mine clogged back up in no time because I didn't get it good even though the wire went through.

Wanted to say thanks too. Following the instructions here and my the idling and stalling problem is gone.

Same problem for me, wont idle at all unless the choke is on but runs fine above idle. I took out the pilot jet and I can get a single strand of wire from a twisted conductor through but it still will not idle correctly. As a reference the smallest metal guitar string is not able to go through the pilot jet and I am not sure if that is normal or not. It seems like the pilot jet might be tapered as it will start but then stops very quickly.

I was looking on ebay for a carb rebuild kit with a new pilot jet and I see some like this one as an example. It seems to have a pilot jet in the kit but it looks different than mine and not sure if it would work or not. Any one tried any of these rebuild kits and if so did it work and did your oem pilot jet look different than the one in the pic?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322411373711?item=322411373711&frommaketrack=true&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Here are the steps I took. Hopefully they will help.

I soaked my disassembled carb in carb cleaner for a few hour and then used a lighter to heat and cool off the pilot jet a few times. Be care as carb cleaner is probably very flammable. You may want to hold the jet with pliers while doing this as it does get hot. I took mine outdoor for this step just to be safe.

I then used a single strand of a bicycle brake cable with an "L" bend on the end. The bend was so that I could spin the brake cable like a drill while pushing it thru the jet. Once I got it thru the blockage I ran the cable it through it several more times.

The next step is something I thought of as I wanted to clean as much residue from inside of the jet as possible. I inserted the narrow end of the jet into a small syringe and used it to forcefully suck in and expel carb cleaner into the gallon bucket of cleaner. I could see the debris being blown out into the cleaning solution. Once I was sure the jet was clear, I soaked overnight.

The next day I put it all back together and the problem was gone.

I did order an extra clone carb from Amazon just in case. According to reviews it works very well and the parts are interchangeable. Some have even used the parts to rebuild their carbs as the cost is less then a rebuild kit. Currently $11. I paid $14 when I ordered mine.

Here is the link: Stock Size Carburetor For Honda Crf50 Xr50 Z50 Crf Xr 50 Z50RStock Size Carburetor Fo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHW1CDS/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_oXnNgTN6dzhQa

I have not used it, but am keeping it in case I need a carb or to rebuild one for one of my other 50's.

Hi CRF James, thanks for the information on the generic carb from Amazon. I had just looked at that one earlier in the day before posting to TT. I will probably order one for spare parts as you recommend.

I ran into a friend that has the same bike and he said that I should be able to get the smallest guitar string through the jet which I could not do. I finally realized that there is a shoulder inside the jet that is not visible from the outside so you have to get the string just right to go through the hole. I ended up putting the guitar string in the vise so that I could put more pressure on the jet as holding by hand the string was slipping through my hands. So after putting the string in the vise I was able to get the guitar string through and the bike will now idle like it should. SO my message to you is keep trying.

Great news! Glad to hear you got it running good again. This forum is a true resource.

I'm glad to see this post is still of some use.   CRFJames has good advice....you have to keep working that wire, pushing and spinning, then rinse with carb cleaner, again and again.   It hasn't failed me yet.  

My two older kids have outgrown their 50's, but I just had to do this again this past weekend on my youngest daughter's 50.   Although she did try out her brother's KLX110, and she can ride it now....it's getting close to upgrade time.    

Oh, how I'll miss these tiny pilot jets....;) 

Very old thread but.....
Well my pilot jet is clogged, so it looks like ill have to pull it out and try running wire through it.
Bad thing is that hole has to be very very small.
I already soaked it in carb cleaner for about an hour.
I also boiled it, but not as long as i should, as this usually cleans anything out.
So bicycle brake line is good to use?

They make jet cleaning tools with various size wires, I use mine regular and cheap, google

Man, I just tried this on my  new to me 2003 xr50 and ended up breaking the pilot jet off!  Looks like I'm buying an new carb!

Where did it break off? Flush with the body of the carb or can you get the pressed piece out?

Where did it break off? Flush with the body of the carb or can you get the pressed piece out?
Yeah, it broke off flush, I tried and easy-out but it just tapped into the intake cylinder breaking off a small part of the carb body. I think my situation was due to age. Any carb replacement suggestions would be great!

If it broke off flush the carb is basically toast now so if it were me, I would try drilling it out. Start with a small bit and get a fairly good hole going and then start moving to larger bits and see if one ends up grabbing it and pulls it out. Kind of like drilling the brass cap off a sealed fuel/air screw.

If that doesn’t work, I have personally have had good success using this carb from Amazon:

New Replacement Carburetor For Honda Crf50 Xr50 Z50 Crf Xr 50 Z50RStock Size Carburetor For Honda Crf50 Xr50 Z50 Crf Xr 50 Z50R https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHW1CDS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_D0ByCbTTV2BGS

I have used it on 2 or 3 different bikes with no issues, although I have seen some buyers claim it did not work well for them including in some of the reviews but for $10-15 it’s worth a shot to me.

• Like 1

If it broke off flush the carb is basically toast now so if it were me, I would try drilling it out. Start with a small bit and get a fairly good hole going and then start moving to larger bits and see if one ends up grabbing it and pulls it out. Kind of like drilling the brass cap off a sealed fuel/air screw.

If that doesn’t work, I have personally have had good success using this carb from Amazon:

New Replacement Carburetor For Honda Crf50 Xr50 Z50 Crf Xr 50 Z50RStock Size Carburetor For Honda Crf50 Xr50 Z50 Crf Xr 50 Z50R https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHW1CDS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_D0ByCbTTV2BGS

I have used it on 2 or 3 different bikes with no issues, although I have seen some buyers claim it did not work well for them including in some of the reviews but for $10-15 it’s worth a shot to me.

James, thanks for the tip on the aftermarket carb! I tried drilling it out but I didn't have a very small bit, it was just a recipe for disaster! I might try that cheaper carb you shared for now, then ince the kids outgrow the bike add a big bore kit and bigger carb for a bike for me.
  • Like 1