Sign in to follow this  

transmission trouble

I know this may be a stupid question but can some

one tell me the shift pattern for my1990 rm 250? After getting bike back together I can find neutral

and three gears up some times but it doesn't feel like I have 1st  or fifth. What did I do wrong. Also there seems to be a lot of play between the drive sprocket and the snap ring and case. about an 1/8 inch. Thanks for your help. 

I know this may be a stupid question but can some

one tell me the shift pattern for my1990 rm 250? After getting bike back together I can find neutral

and three gears up some times but it doesn't feel like I have 1st or fifth. What did I do wrong. Also there seems to be a lot of play between the drive sprocket and the snap ring and case. about an 1/8 inch. Thanks for your help.

If there's play you might be missing some kind of collar or spacer, and do you roll the bike the same time you shift? Or are you riding it? The gears need to turn to engage the next gear, I found the transmission feel weird, unless you roll the bike forward while going through the gears, then you can feel it catch each gear

Bike rolling no gears down from neutral, two shifts up, some times three. if 1st gear is down then I must have some in wrong I cant find anything below neutral, thanks for the help.

I pulled out as a hunk didn't separate the gears but at least on fell off when cases separated. Maybe I didn't get the shift drum oriented with the forks right. well back to the Clymer manual.

I pulled out as a hunk didn't separate the gears but at least on fell off when cases separated. Maybe I didn't get the shift drum oriented with the forks right. well back to the Clymer manual.

Yeah my uneducated guess is the shift drum is set in their wrong.  Like it went together but you aren't getting all your gears.  I had my YZF450 apart and it took so me wiggling and bench test shifting to make sure everything was working together before sealing it up. 

Also check that play you mentioned in the first post on the drive shaft.  That could be causing alignment issues in the transmission shifting pattern itself.

Edited by RhinofromWA

Yeah my uneducated guess is the shift drum is set in their wrong. Like it went together but you aren't getting all your gears. I had my YZF450 apart and it took so me wiggling and bench test shifting to make sure everything was working together before sealing it up.

Also check that play you mentioned in the first post on the drive shaft. That could be causing alignment issues in the transmission shifting pattern itself.

pull the clutch side apart and see if you can turn the shift drum(with some pliers) while spinning the back tire, if you can shift it it's something in the way the shift mech is set up in there.

Thanks guys, split cases found lower shift fork and shaft laying inside put back in place still no 1st or 5th.played around with shift drum ratcheted two clicks. Bingo had all gears. Tested it a couple of times.Put cases together tested again, bolted them tested again. all is now good. Thanks for all your help.Clay

Thanks guys, split cases found lower shift fork and shaft laying inside put back in place still no 1st or 5th.played around with shift drum ratcheted two clicks. Bingo had all gears. Tested it a couple of times.Put cases together tested again, bolted them tested again. all is now good. Thanks for all your help.Clay

Great to hear.  Now go ride. :)