Sign in to follow this  

Yz85 **********PLEASE HELP***********

Hi,

Is it true that you have to ride a Yz85 fast. I am looking into getting a Yz85 and had heard you have to ride Yz85's fast to keep them from fouling spark plugs. I am a beginner so I would probably be riding relatively slow. Thanks

Hi,

Is it true that you have to ride a Yz85 fast. I am looking into getting a Yz85 and had heard you have to ride Yz85's fast to keep them from fouling spark plugs. I am a beginner so I would probably be riding relatively slow. Thanks

ive never ridden an 85 before but generally on a 2 stroke you need to be in the power, if you ever find yourself going thru tough trails or that than just feather the clutch. I'm no expert so don't take my word but it's my .02

ive never ridden an 85 before but generally on a 2 stroke you need to be in the power, if you ever find yourself going thru tough trails or that than just feather the clutch. I'm no expert so don't take my word but it's my .02

Thanks for the tip

You can and should ride an 85 two stroke slow while you are learning. If it is properly jetted, you shouldn't have a problem with fouling plugs. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have some spares. This will be a great opportunity for you to learn about jetting and mixing gas. Probably lots of advice on the Yamaha 2 stroke topic. Question, though, where and how will you be riding your dirt bike? Just curious.

You can and should ride an 85 two stroke slow while you are learning. If it is properly jetted, you shouldn't have a problem with fouling plugs. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have some spares. This will be a great opportunity for you to learn about jetting and mixing gas. Probably lots of advice on the Yamaha 2 stroke topic. Question, though, where and how will you be riding your dirt bike? Just curious.

I will mostly be riding trails and in woods. But I want to be able to jump the dirtbike i get without hurting it.

I have a RM 85 that two of my sons have ridden.  The first was very aggressive and was on the gas often while the younger of the two is more conservative and definitely more of a beginner.  I adjusted the jetting for each style of riding and I don't think we have fouled more than 1 or 2 plugs in the last three years.  Just be careful because if you jet a bike for a slow rider and a more experience rider gets on the bike it may cause damage. 

The Bug

I have a RM 85 that two of my sons have ridden.  The first was very aggressive and was on the gas often while the younger of the two is more conservative and definitely more of a beginner.  I adjusted the jetting for each style of riding and I don't think we have fouled more than 1 or 2 plugs in the last three years.  Just be careful because if you jet a bike for a slow rider and a more experience rider gets on the bike it may cause damage. 

The Bug

Ok, Thanks

its all about jetting. get it set close to right and you will never fould a plug.

Ok Thanks

Hi,

Your going to have a bit of a hard time low speed riding any 85cc, they have very poor power down low. There are a couple tricks you can do to help while you learn. First is get yourself a flywheel weight. This will smooth out the hard powerband "hit" . You can also add 2-3 teeth on the rear drive sprocket, this will shift the speed to rpm ratio down lower so your bike will be much easier to handle at slower speeds, especially trails. As your skill and speed progress you can simply remove the flywheel weight and put the gearing back to stock.  Good luck !

Your going to have a bit of a hard time low speed riding any 85cc, they have very poor power down low. There are a couple tricks you can do to help while you learn. First is get yourself a flywheel weight. This will smooth out the hard powerband "hit" . You can also add 2-3 teeth on the rear drive sprocket, this will shift the speed to rpm ratio down lower so your bike will be much easier to handle at slower speeds, especially trails. As your skill and speed progress you can simply remove the flywheel weight and put the gearing back to stock.  Good luck !

Thansk