Sign in to follow this  

Heavier spring rate on rear shock = wheelie monster?

So I resprung the rear of my bike, with an 11kg spring as recommended by racetech for my weight and style.

The bike is working great overall, big improvement. except now I'm looping out on steep hillclimbs, it is hard to keep the front end down, I looped out 4 times in a row on a climb I've done hundreds of times. my sag is 4"/100mm

I'm not sure why this is happening, I would have thought that going up on the spring rate would transfer more weight forward, but perhaps since I had much more preload before that was keeping the rear end excessively firm?

When I went to a higher kg spring, I learned real quick that my bike would wheelie much easier. I welcome it though as I can finally do them now. Before I was the only one in my group that couldn't wheelie on demand because my rear shock would soak up all the power.

When I went to a higher kg spring, I learned real quick that my bike would wheelie much easier. I welcome it though as I can finally do them now. Before I was the only one in my group that couldn't wheelie on demand because my rear shock would soak up all the power.

Yeah, it is something I just need to get used to. Definitely caught me off guard.

As you hinted to, it does seem like power gets to the ground faster.

I've been running a trials type rear tire (MT43), which gives a ton of grip, I might switch to a knobby to get a little bit more slip. I used to like the Trials tire due to the extreme grip it gave me on climbs, but now it is a bit too extreme

Stiffer rear spring means the bike squats less when throttle is applied so will be easier to wheelie, or loop on hill climbs.

• Like 2

Back the comp. off some. Also, 100mm would be minimum amount of ride sag, try 105mm ride. Should be around 30-35 free sag. See what front is measuring as well. Front should be about 75 ride and 45-50 free sag. If still a problem, add 2 links to your chain and run cam adjusters for chain on the back few notches.

+1

Yes a TT can make hill climbing more difficult but there are riding techniques that help mitigate the problems.

Throttle control is more important because of the added traction. Also standing on the peg reduces rider weight on the rear wheel and makes it easier to lean forward for more weight transfer to the front.

The positive is the added traction makes it easier to restart on a hill and climb low traction hills.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

+1

Yes a TT can make hill climbing more difficult but there are riding techniques that help mitigate the problems.

Throttle control is more important because of the added traction. Also standing on the peg reduces rider weight on the rear wheel and makes it easier to lean forward for more weight transfer to the front.

The positive is the added traction makes it easier to restart on a hill and climb low traction hills.  :thumbsup:

One of the things I used to like about the XR400 was that you could hold the throttle open and take any ridiculous line up a hill, half hanging/falling off the bike. It wasn't pretty, but it would slip and slide everywhere and then somehow pop up over the top, like some sort of unstoppable tractor. 

I'm not looking forward to having to learn actual riding skills, learning sucks.

I think I might need some bar risers though, at 6' 4" I can't really get far enough over the bars without feeling like i'm going to cartwheel over the first rock I hit...

I also like tractors. :thumbsup:

Learning is part of the adventure. :thumbsup:

At 6'4" the bars are probably too low. :lol:

Lots of riser possibilities from Hi bars to extender mounts, do a Google search. I have a friend who put 4" risers on his bars, now a good cockpit.

I also have a Trials bike and I find that the cockpit on my XR isn't big enough after riding the Trials bike;  bars too high and tank too big. :banghead:

I have cr high pro tapers on crf450 triple clamps, I think I might try a kx high bend with another 1" of rise

Dont go too tall on handle bars,will make it hard to keep wheel down on hill climbs,also on hard single track.You are right with too stiff spring,hard to hill climb.When you go around hi speed turns with chop,if bike slides out.Other problem,with stiff rear spring,or you need more race sag.Try 3 3/4-or 4in.For me on Wr450 had all those problems.Went to Yz250 spring FIXED.BTR

Now I know why I can't poppa wheelie!

Like like like the "tractor" analogy. I've felt that way plenty of times. These XR4's are unstoppable but not always pretty while conquering.