Sign in to follow this  

2003 KX125 or 2000+ CR125/250

So. Within the next month or 2, my 2003 KX125 will be running. Bought it blown up needing a new piston kit. Once its running, I have 2 choices. A)Keep the KX and throw any money I dont spend on stuff (snacks, video games, car, girlfriend etc.) or B ) Sell it, and buy a 2000 + Cr125/250. I would rather the 250, because it'd be better in the long run IMO. Im 6'2, 190lbs, and have owned one race bike. I used to own a 00' RM125, but it was sort of a POS. Bogged when i shifted into 4th & 5th at high RPM's, couldnt use second because of a shift fork problem. Rode it for about 3 months, only put 3 hrs on it.  Sold that and bought this 03 KX for $950. I have ridden 3 250 2t though, a 98 CR250, 12 YZ250 and 12 250XC-w, although the YZ and Cr were in my friends grand parents driveway for like 30 mins. I really enjoyed the power of the KTM the most out of all the 2t's I've ridden. I wasn't "scared" of it, so to speak. My friend told me that on his CR he had adjusted the PV so that it didnt hit as hard. Is this true that you can do that? I know a thing or 2 about 2 strokes but I'm not too too familiar with a PV. I don't really have anything to compare it to, as far as 250 2t goes, because I never got a chance to open up the YZ or CR. My idea is, that with a CR250, the power will be way scary at first, but I will get used to it eventually, and i won't outgrow the power any time soon, which is what I'm afraid will happen with the KX. I plan for my next bike, whether it be the KX or something else, to be a long time investment and to be a good bike that'll last me, not a bike I'll sell in 2 years time for $700 less than I can get now in my area.  Opinions?

Edited by ReturnOfJorddo

You'll be fine on a 250. I started on a crf230 when i was 16 and then moved up to a bored over cr250 6 months later. Been riding it since with no problems.

Besides the bike lol. Had to get that rebuilt.

If I were u sell that bike right away because that bike might last u 10 hours before it blows up I bout a kx 250 fresh top end and with In two months I toke it for a cruise and it simply lost compression and I didn't listen to my friend he has a 2001 cr250 ended up selling the kx for only 300 and later on I bout a 96 cr250 and never had a problem with it and plus it had more power then that kx250 so just out of my experience sell that bike before it blows up not trying to put it down or anything I liked Kawasaki until that happend. I should've listend to my friend so my advice sell it.

So. Within the next month or 2, my 2003 KX125 will be running. Bought it blown up needing a new piston kit. Once its running, I have 2 choices. A)Keep the KX and throw any money I dont spend on stuff (snacks, video games, car, girlfriend etc.) or B ) Sell it, and buy a 2000 + Cr125/250. I would rather the 250, because it'd be better in the long run IMO. Im 6'2, 190lbs, and have owned one race bike. I used to own a 00' RM125, but it was sort of a POS. Bogged when i shifted into 4th & 5th at high RPM's, couldnt use second because of a shift fork problem. Rode it for about 3 months, only put 3 hrs on it. Sold that and bought this 03 KX for $950. I have ridden 3 250 2t though, a 98 CR250, 12 YZ250 and 12 250XC-w, although the YZ and Cr were in my friends grand parents driveway for like 30 mins. I really enjoyed the power of the KTM the most out of all the 2t's I've ridden. I wasn't "scared" of it, so to speak. My friend told me that on his CR he had adjusted the PV so that it didnt hit as hard. Is this true that you can do that? I know a thing or 2 about 2 strokes but I'm not too too familiar with a PV. I don't really have anything to compare it to, as far as 250 2t goes, because I never got a chance to open up the YZ or CR. My idea is, that with a CR250, the power will be way scary at first, but I will get used to it eventually, and i won't outgrow the power any time soon, which is what I'm afraid will happen with the KX. I plan for my next bike, whether it be the KX or something else, to be a long time investment and to be a good bike that'll last me, not a bike I'll sell in 2 years time for $700 less than I can get now in my area. Opinions?

And I've heard the worst about the 125 so if ur about reliability and even power and I haven't even mentioned the handling on the kx they feel heavy when you ride them sell your bike after u get it rebuilt and buy your self a honda cr250 or 125 watever fits u I had a 01 cr125 I abused that bike that top end would not blow on those take my advice the honda two strokes are all around better and a lot fun then those gas wasting kx's. I thought kx was the sh** until my kx blew up then I had both the cr125 and cr250 the cr125 feels like a bicycle riding it, lightest bike I have ever rode. And dont get a yz or an rm they will blow up to.