Sign in to follow this  

Carbon Fiber Pipe Gaurd,Which One and Are They Worth It?

2 rides on my pipe after spending $92 (includes frieght both ways) to get some pretty gnarly dents blown out and now it is almost pinched shut ! Used to run aluminum pipe gaurd way back when but figured out that if you hit hard enough you dent the pipe and the gaurd and quite running it. So now I think I am ready to step up to a carbon fiber gaurd especially since the guy who used to blow out my pipes for $20 a pop has hung it up. I have a few questions and your feedback is appreciated.

1. Is there any real difference in  brands? Has anyone heard anything about P3?

2. I have stock pipes and a Fatty(2005 YZ 250). Can I run one gaurd on both pipes? I have noticed some brands have specific guards for aftermarket pipes. 

3. Is the carbon fiber gaurd that much better than the aluminum that it justifies the added cost? Will a carbon gaurd "wear out" ? I remember buying some CF frame gaurds and wore through them in a season.

Thanks!

First off, write P3 off. He's actually selling his business and going through the transition as we speak. I had a good couple of back and fourth emails with him about a product I ordered. In short he will still stay on as staff but not as a owner. He told me to check back in a couple months and all things should be good....

That being said, yes they are worth it. Great for small dings but a real sharp hit from a rock and it will turn into straw BUT, still cheaper then a pipe. On top of all that a big hit from a log will push the pipe into the frame cradle so its kinda a wash that way.....

I think Moose makes about the most durable stuff out there but I'm not too sure. I have a Leo-Vince skidplate and shes pretty thin....

P3 is the bomb, but good luck getting one. Mine has taken a serious beating and still comes back for more.

I am on my second moose carbon fiber pipe guard. Only reason I replaced the first was scratches it is still fully functional. They are actually made by e-line so whichever one you can get cheaper is the way to go. I also have a fatty pipe the thing I don't like is water can leave rust on the pipe in-between the gaurd. Try to take it off every couple washes and rub the pipe down with some wd40!

I also have an e-line carbon fiber skid plate on both my bikes and that has help up incredibly well. Hope that helps!

I have a Moose E-line on mine and it's falling apart.  Maybe the newer ones are better, but the carbon fiber is clearly sub par on mine.  It sucks that P3 is going out, if I remember he used to be a part of the E line company until Moose bought them and forced them to use crappy materials, so he started his own company.

I have a E-Line on my bike, just under 2 years old and its starting to separate. The front of the pipe is dent free. It has some surface rust under the guard, nothing a little rubbing and WD40 wont take care of. The back side has a mark from the skid plate and frame. I don't know what I hit but everything still intact. I'd say it was worth money. My pipe never looked this good after this much riding using the aluminum or sectional guards.