Street Legalizing an xr500 in CA

I'm planning on grabbing an old Xr500 off craigslist because they are pretty damn cheap. I have been looking around and it looks like it will be difficult to get it on the street, I want to know if anybody has successfully made it happen.

Or if I buy the bike in another state, can I bring it here and get away with it?

Thanks

Since many of the older XR 500/600's were already street plated prior to the 1/31/04 street plating deadline, try to find a bike that already has a legitimate street plate.

As of 2004 you can no longer plate a dirt bike in California, period.  It does not matter what year the bike is if it was not plated prior to 2004 you are out of luck.

Alright then, the hunts on.

Some people still manage to do it. Some hired guns can get it done for a fee. However you are far better off buying a bike with a plate as suggested here!

Some people still manage to do it. Some hired guns can get it done for a fee. However you are far better off buying a bike with a plate as suggested here!

You are right there are people doing this but it is illegal.  They are having a "friend" either a cop or DMV employee who are doctoring the paperwork.  It is illegal and if you are caught with a fraudulently plated bike it will impounded.  CHP views this the same as altering VIN numbers on stolen cars.

As of 2004 you can no longer plate a dirt bike in California, period.  It does not matter what year the bike is if it was not plated prior to 2004 you are out of luck.

Wrong.  You can plate OLD bikes. Prior to 17 digit VIN and "off road use only" title, apparently. 

Edited by MindBlower

Wrong.  You can plate OLD bikes. Prior to 17 digit VIN and "off road use only" title, apparently. 

Technically it is illegal to street plate any dirt bike in CA regardless of how old it is, however I'm not saying that it is impossible.

I am not going to argue with you here after 2004 you cannot LEGALY plate any dirtbike regardless of what year is was.

I am not going to argue with you here after 2004 you cannot LEGALY plate any dirtbike regardless of what year is was.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1046432-street-legal/

I didn't make it up.  ;)

Edited by MindBlower

So you assume everything you read on the internet is the truth?  You cannot LEGALY plate a dirt bike in California after 2004, no matter what year the bike is, period.  I know this because I am a Law Enforcment officer who verifies VIN numbers and I am an OHV instructor who teaches the California Vehicle Code to other Cops who are going to be enforcing the Vehicle Codes on their OHV patrols .  Stop giving advice that can get can potentially get someone in trouble or lose money on especially when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Edited by baldy110

So you assume everything you read on the internet is the truth?  You cannot LEGALY plate a dirt bike in California after 2004, no matter what year the bike is, period.  I know this because I am a Law Enforcment officer who verifies VIN numbers and I am an OHV instructor who teaches the California Vehicle Code to other Cops who are going to be enforcing the Vehicle Codes on their OHV patrols .  Stop giving advice that can get can potentially get someone in trouble or lose money on especially when you have no idea what you are talking about.

I know plenty of cops that don't know squat about the laws in their state.

And have heard plenty spout BS about what they THINK is the law when it isn't.

Well since the poster seems to have done it, and doesn't seem to have stooped to any skullduggery as you suggest he must,  I guess I'll post whatever I like thank you.    ;)

Edited by MindBlower

Wow.

What about going the route of the dual registration? Is that still a viable option?

Dual registration is the whole reason you are there .... Research and you will find how to do it. There are some musts on the bike sure ...

But just did mine 3 weeks ago...

All legal :)

Dual registration is the whole reason you are there .... Research and you will find how to do it. There are some musts on the bike sure ...

But just did mine 3 weeks ago...

All legal :)

uh oh.......  ;)

Edited by MindBlower

Not gonna argue whether it can or can not be done. But just out of curiosity, baldy110, how does CVC 10751 apply to this if the VIN has not been altered and paperwork reflects the unaltered VIN? 

For  those of you residing outside of Ca, we appreciate your trying to be helpful, but your experience will not necessarily apply to those of us living in this political and environmentalist nightmare of a year round riding weather friendly state.

I would also offer that if one has successfully had an offroad bike plated in Ca that you not broadcast it on a forum such as this. And Holy Crap! Do not throw somebody's name out there directly into the radar beam of  who knows who . Do you ever really know who you are interacting with on these forums?. Not sayin baldy110 is a bad guy but some of these guys would write ya a ticket for tinted windows then at the end of their shift jump in their own personal car (with tinted windows), stop by a "cop bar", have a couple of drinks with their buds,  jump back in that window tinted car and speed off home.  Again, not sayin  he would ever be involved in this type of hypocritical activity, but sadly,  there are those out there who are. No since bringing any undue attention to anyone.

Frankly, I think financially hurting Ca should open the door to this, albeit somewhat minimal, source of revenue.  Their over regulation of virtually everything in this state is driving people away in droves. Conversely it's also a vacuum for anyone legal or illegal looking for a handout.  If not for the weather and the cost of a divorce I would have been gone long ago. 

Sorry for the rant.  I'll crawl back into my bunker now

ST.O.D.

Oh and BTW.... baldy110 knows what he's talking about re the conversion (OHV to street legal) in Ca.   I'm checking on that CHP and the altered VIN thing though.

ST O.D.

It is not a good idea to discuss this subject.

I am guilty of doing it prior.

It is best to speak of it in PM's only.

There is no law that I can find,  against getting your bike plated under false pretenses.

You just loose your plate.

All the govt agencies watch this forum.

People have actually been given tickets and had plates revoked after posting here, showing there 'new plated bike' or 'look at me I'm going past a closed road' type of stuff....

So, to keep it 'Kosher' you should keep it on the down low.

OK, I'm putting my Aluminum foil hat back on now.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I understand dirt bikes can no longer be legally plated in Ca, but can dirt bike with legitimate plate (pre '04) be revoked?