Sign in to follow this  

Oil sight glass

This weekend I did first oil change poured in what manual asked for 1.2L cause i changed out filter also, started it let it warm up and settle. It was at the middle of glass exactly so I checked that night before bed and was still at middle.

The next morning which was a cooler day it was here in glass
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379938612.869578.jpg

Is it to much should I take some out? Or is it ok where it is? This is on a mx stand so it sat straight up all night. It is a 2013 kx 450f and oil used was rotella t6 if that helps any.

Edited by suplol

This happens to me it looks to full so I let some out to half then run it and it is a little too low you can't trust the sight glass just measure the oil

• Like 1

Well try start it up today again, 3-5 min. Then shut it off and wait 2-3 min and look at level, same as y day im quite sure about. And because u checked yday u know ur oil level is fine. Now u can just have look at it before u go and ride, and if its barely so u can see it after it sits for a night u can worry about it :)

Oil settles when engine is cold/sits thats why it reads a tad higher after a night or 2  !

• Like 1

That's what happens to mine too. There is an over flow that expels any extra.

I didnt know it had this where does it expel the excess oil to?

I didnt know it had this where does it expel the excess oil to?

Oil will come out the breather tube by your stator cover...normal as long as it's just a mist and not spewing out.

After the bike is started the oil will distribute out through the engine and the level will drop to normal. Don't use the sight glass to measure your oil. Add the correct amount and ride. Use the sight glass to see that oil is in the engine. There are a few places in the engine where the oil will pool up and this is why you don't use the sight glass to measure.

• Like 1

On the kx450f the crank case breather will blow oil out especaily if over full.

The oil in sight glass will read low than high then right .........so on just all over the place.

I put in one liter with oil filter change,and just use sight glass to make sure somethings in there.not to check amount.

Hope this helps

Ernie

• Like 1

Should the tube hang down under the  crank case? the way it came from factory was tucked up in the skid plate

Also everyone seems to say they are putting in 1 liter do you think 1.2 liters that i put will harm anything? or just run this then next oil change put 1 liter?

Edited by suplol