Sign in to follow this  

Yz85 as a Trail/Play bike?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had used a Yz85 as a trail/play bike? I am a beginner, and have been looking into Yz85's. For the most part I will be riding trails. I am thinking about an Yz85 because I want to do jumps. Is it worth getting an 85 for a trail/play bike? Thanks

All I can say is this:

When I used to ride my 85 for trails it was fun but challenging. It has great acceleration but if your going to have more technical and slow trails then you will need some skill to back it up or there will be some fouled plugs. Id say if your wanting a 2t then go for the 85 but if a 4t isnt out of the question. Look into the crf150r and f. The r will be a jumper and f is for trails/ has an e starter. Hope that helped

All I can say is this:

When I used to ride my 85 for trails it was fun but challenging. It has great acceleration but if your going to have more technical and slow trails then you will need some skill to back it up or there will be some fouled plugs. Id say if your wanting a 2t then go for the 85 but if a 4t isnt out of the question. Look into the crf150r and f. The r will be a jumper and f is for trails/ has an e starter. Hope that helped

Thanks

I had an '01, last year of the YZ80 and for the short time I owned it, I thought it was NOT a beginners or casual trail bike.  The power hit hard and for the beginner, I think they would find themselves in the weeds pretty often wondering "what happened?".  I got the impression it was perfect for junior to start out in MX but not a trail bike.

I had an '01, last year of the YZ80 and for the short time I owned it, I thought it was NOT a beginners or casual trail bike. The power hit hard and for the beginner, I think they would find themselves in the weeds pretty often wondering "what happened?". I got the impression it was perfect for junior to start out in MX but not a trail bike.

i totally agree not a beginners bike. i got one for my wife and that little bike honestly hauls ass. not really good for trails the power delivery is very hard, but. . . what an awesome little bike. mine never missed a beat.

that being said. . if you want jumps you wont find a better bike to jump.;)

Ive got a yz80. Works on trails but its not the best. You have to keep the revs up and hills are tough with the bike. The yz80 is a 5speed and the yz85 is a 6speed. The yz80 has a wider gear ratio which mames it a little better for trails than the 85 imho. If you want the 80/85 get a flywheel weight and that'll take care of the bottom end problem. If you're open to 4 strokes, the 150r with e start would be a good choice.

i totally agree not a beginners bike. i got one for my wife and that little bike honestly hauls ass. not really good for trails the power delivery is very hard, but. . . what an awesome little bike. mine never missed a beat.

The one I bought was part of a package deal.  I really didn't want it.  Actually, the PO bought it for his girlfriend.  She was a total beginner.  That idea lasted 2 rides.

I have a blast on my 02 yz105. I did the eric gorr 105cc 52mm big bore kit, only runs $400 for alot more power. Had it ported for low-mid and race gas. Definitely makes a better trail bike by moving the power lower and hits powerband quicker.

vforce 3i reeds, 9 oz flywheel weight, fmf fatty/shorty combo. Advanced timing from .9mm stock to 1.2mm for low end. Using 138 main and a kx85/100 NAPE needle on 2nd clip and a 42 pilot.

I'm 180 lbs and resprung and revalved the suspension for an adult. This things a blast. I ride it more then my yz295 and yz478f. Bike weighs nearly nothing and handles great with the power of a 125 and I only use it for trails.

If you get stuck you can pick it up and turn it around! Highly recommend it