Sign in to follow this  

acceleration cut out

first chilly morning of the fall and noticed burping on the way to work, high rev in third, bike almost cut out - i thought i had hit something. i let off gas, it didn't die, but was like it almost stopped like i slammed on the brakes.

it would do it again in any gear high rev. anyone else have this issue. (chilly = 55 deg or so)

i've got fmf powercore/megabomb; ejk tuner, etc., etc.

i have all but 2 or 3 holes plugged in air box. too much cold air? anyone else noticed this? thanks!

Engines like cold dense air did you check all the connections?? Might have gotten some moisture in there?? WD-40 them --sorry i'm not much help

• Like 3

Kinda opposite for me. My bike seems to run better when it's cooler. A couple times this summer when close to 100 deg mine would act up. Pop and sputter a bit and even died once but fired right back up. It hasn't done it since then so I just thought I had some bad gas or something.

• Like 2

first chilly morning of the fall and noticed burping on the way to work, high rev in third, bike almost cut out - i thought i had hit something. i let off gas, it didn't die, but was like it almost stopped like i slammed on the brakes.

it would do it again in any gear high rev. anyone else have this issue. (chilly = 55 deg or so)

i've got fmf powercore/megabomb; ejk tuner, etc., etc.

i have all but 2 or 3 holes plugged in air box. too much cold air? anyone else noticed this? thanks!

morning #2 - same issues. i checked my fuel controller to confirm stage 1 settings - all is correct - all connections tight. I let it run for 7-10 minutes before riding.

about mid rpm in 3rd gear, it literally jerks like you've popped the clutch in a car without enough gas - this is mid to high rev in in gear. backfires every time it jerks.

any ideas? if not, she'll be going back to the shop.

morning #2 - same issues. i checked my fuel controller to confirm stage 1 settings - all is correct - all connections tight. I let it run for 7-10 minutes before riding.

about mid rpm in 3rd gear, it literally jerks like you've popped the clutch in a car without enough gas - this is mid to high rev in in gear. backfires every time it jerks.

any ideas? if not, she'll be going back to the shop.

Having a huge battle with service dept at dealer. Just for sanity, spokes on stock wheels are steel, rims aluminum, right? Suppose I'm stupid. I've been called negligent and been told I've been tampering with the bike.

They are blaming everything wrong with the bike on the fmf pipe and header & ejk tuner. Tuner is disconnected. All is left is pipe. It's been on since April - hell, they checked out all the mods at first checkup. PISSED!

• Like 2

I'd find a new dealer and call Honda home office and complain--take the ejk off next time so they cannot use that for their stupidity--Call Honda every day if you have to-- :banghead::rant::banghead:

• Like 2

does it do the same thing without the controller plugged in ?  

Also if you always buy gas at the same place ... try a new station. 

I would also find a new dealer if you can. 

• Like 1

Now that it is cooler, I use 91 rather than 89.  Issue is if you have a fuel controller you are running 'rich' (even at a 1 setting)rather than the CA lean stock setting. Too much fuel and you are possibly 'flooding' combustion and 'cooling' top end.   Hotter spark plug and 91 will solve problem, that is what I do with all my bikes as it cools down outside.  Fuel injected bikes are notoriously too rich in cooler conditions if not set up 'just' right.

Also air cleaner has a lot to do with fuel mixture, the stock 'paper' filter if 'dirty' can restrict air flow again riching up mixture.  I use a small 'shop vac' foam filter element with filter oil wrapped on the airbox side of stock filter, cleaning regularly.  You can never go wrong increasing air flow.

• Like 1

I've got a DNA air filter and holes in the air box. I even have plugs for each one so I can open and close as necessary. And I put all this stuff on in April -it was cool then - cooler than it is now. It just doesn't make sense.

Is there a way I can load up an email string on here? You guys wouldn't believe me if I told you everything that they've said to me.

I asked the gm before purchasing the tuner and pipe if it affected the warranty. He said no. Hell, he even said to put some holes in the airbox! I have the email to prove it.

The service manager says differently - he says that I was "neglygent" with my bike and Honda doesn't warranty "tampering". And yes, that's how he spelled negligent. I was shocked that he came out with that, I must say. He talked down to me like I was a 12 year old that put diesel in a gas lawnmower.

The gm has yet to respond to any of this. The only thing he's said is that he cancelled the extended warranty like I asked him to - no response to him stating that the tuner and pipe would not affect the warranty.

I called Honda customer service and was basically told that they are not responsible for the actions of the dealer, but I could leave a comment if I wished. WTF! I really need some guidance with what to do here. I thought about a complaint with the BBB, but what would the resolution be? That they're liars and they suck?

sounds to me like they are pissed that you were wise enough to cancel your extended warranty .... and now are making you pay for it ...  :rant:

either way ... you need to get it diagnosed by somebody ... you could have a bad oxygen sensor or a throttle position sensor.  :excuseme:

There's a local reputable shop nearby with a dyno and tuning capabilities. Just gonna go there. I would assume I would at least get more respect and an honest answer. This stuff makes me hate buying anything.

• Like 3

There's a local reputable shop nearby with a dyno and tuning capabilities. Just gonna go there. I would assume I would at least get more respect and an honest answer. This stuff makes me hate buying anything.

I stay away from Motorcycle dealers in general ... so far my Honda dealer has been real good but all I do is take in flat tires ...  :lol:

I have a local (20 min drive) race shop and ATV/UTV guy for the farmers that is real good and honest and also very reasonably priced so he gets all my business ...  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If you only knew all the troubles I've had with dealers & service departments just over the last 2 years, you wouldn't believe me. Completely insane.

• Like 2

If you only knew all the troubles I've had with dealers & service departments just over the last 2 years, you wouldn't believe me. Completely insane.

I totally understand as I have worked for Ford dealers for 25 years. ...  :shocked:

some stuff is really not their fault but, in your case they just seem as tho they are not willing to even try to help you. They could at least tell you whats wrong and maybe tell you that it's not covered under warranty for some lame reason.  

Stupid question...

Are the spokes on the stock 250L wheels aluminum or steel? I know this sounds like a stupid question - I know the rim is alum and I assumed the spokes would be steel. Service says otherwise and I can't find anything online to confirm.

Stupid question...

Are the spokes on the stock 250L wheels aluminum or steel? I know this sounds like a stupid question - I know the rim is alum and I assumed the spokes would be steel. Service says otherwise and I can't find anything online to confirm.

I am sure they are steel and do not think there is such a thing as aluminum on these type of wheels. They even may be stainless steel. 

Thanks - that's what I thought. Here's what the idiot service manager told me.

"As far as how long you have to wipe with a finger to remove the chain lube off your spokes is irrelevant as you are responsible for cleaning your own machine that is not something that is a service issue and allowing these foreign materials to set on the aluminum is In my opinion neglygents and can cause pitting in the future, further more just because a dealership sells a product dose not in any way mean you will not have to clean your motorcycle."

I believe it. I was a tech for years.  There are way more hacks out there then anything else...

Just because the fuel pump can reach the correct psi doesn't mean it isn't the problem, it's delivery volume could still be too low to keep up with the demand.  It does show you pressure regulator is working correctly though.  The O2 sensor won't cause this problem.  It almost sounds like an ignition problem like a bad coil or a bad injector, maybe a TPS it's hard to say. 

Sound like a tech to you???  :rolleyes:

Without the bike or the sensor readings it is hard to say what is going on.  A good tuner can test the sensor readings for you to pinpoint your bikes problem.  Being able to test it while it is on a dyno is a big help.  :thumbsup:

I made a thread way back about the fuel injection system that may help.  I'll see if I can find it.   :)

• Like 2