Setting race sag

I understand how to set the sag I just haven't done it before. I am wondering since I will only have one other person to help me, can I lean the front end of the bike against something solid to balance it while my dad takes the measurement? I feel like this would interfere with the actual weight of the bike since it would be supported. I can hold the bike steady while he checks the static sag so I shouldn't have any issues there.

Not really needs to be vertical

Lean was a poor choice of wording, what I really intended on doing is pushing the bike right up next to the garage door frame and letting the front wheel rest on it to prop up the bike. It would be vertical, but I feel like this would still be transfering weight to the door frame which would interfere with the true measurements. But is this that much different than having somebody hold the front end steady? I've also read you can use your fingertip very gently against a wall to maintain balance but this seemed like a poor option to me.

No I don't think that would work to be honest , I would prefer the idea of finger tips on a wall

Thanks mog, i'll see if maybe I can have my dad hold the rear wheel steady while I sit on the bike and maybe mom can take the measurement haha. If not i'll do the finger tip thing.

Is there any surefire way i'm missing here to balance the bike while you take the measurement? From what I understand somebody holding the rear wheel sturdy is proper.

Any sort of resistance will throw measurement off...best to have someone balance bike from front end via forks another to measure..but since you're doing the work you're self without new springs and valve work it won't be in spec ...be in full gear..bounce around and re take measurements ..if you're getting diff numbers grease you're linkage bearings and pivot points..

Any sort of resistance will throw measurement off...best to have someone balance bike from front end via forks another to measure..but since you're doing the work you're self without new springs and valve work it won't be in spec ...be in full gear..bounce around and re take measurements ..if you're getting diff numbers grease you're linkage bearings and pivot points..

Luckily I just had the forks and suspension rebuilt and revalved, and I just replaced the linkage, swingarm, and shock bearings.

Heres what my measurements came out to, hoping my dad took his time because he though I was just being anal for stressing to make sure you measure it to the exact mm.

Race sag = 97mm

Free Sag = 38 mm

So I'm actually pretty close, I think I might be able to cut it with these springs, but what kind of adjustment would I make to the spring to raise the race sag? And in turn would that lower the free sag or also raise it, or would it stay the same?

I know I'm at least in the ballpark, would my best bet be just to leave it as is?

Edit: Heres just a little extra info - Of course when I need to know something I refer to my service manual, and it never has what I'm looking for. It says nothing about what my race or static sag should be, thanks honda. I'm going off 100mm and 30mm roughly as what I should be looking for.

Also, after having the suspension fully serviced minus spring changes, it has a very stiff and harsh overall feel to it. It does not handle braking bumps well, and when i'm on the gas out of a corner going over acceleration bumps, it is REALLY harsh and wants to buck me off. Same thing goes for landings, if I overshoot a landing or come up short, it feels like its not even using the full travel and its a hard impact. Would I gain any benefit with this scenario from making an adjustment? Or once again, should I just leave it as is.

Edited by dan2581

Luckily I just had the forks and suspension rebuilt and revalved, and I just replaced the linkage, swingarm, and shock bearings.

Heres what my measurements came out to, hoping my dad took his time because he though I was just being anal for stressing to make sure you measure it to the exact mm.

Race sag = 97mm

Free Sag = 38 mm

So I'm actually pretty close, I think I might be able to cut it with these springs, but what kind of adjustment would I make to the spring to raise the race sag? And in turn would that lower the free sag or also raise it, or would it stay the same?

I know I'm at least in the ballpark, would my best bet be just to leave it as is?

Edit: Heres just a little extra info - Of course when I need to know something I refer to my service manual, and it never has what I'm looking for. It says nothing about what my race or static sag should be, thanks honda. I'm going off 100mm and 30mm roughly as what I should be looking for.

Also, after having the suspension fully serviced minus spring changes, it has a very stiff and harsh overall feel to it. It does not handle braking bumps well, and when i'm on the gas out of a corner going over acceleration bumps, it is REALLY harsh and wants to buck me off. Same thing goes for landings, if I overshoot a landing or come up short, it feels like its not even using the full travel and its a hard impact. Would I gain any benefit with this scenario from making an adjustment? Or once again, should I just leave it as is.

My Honda OEM owners manual has race and static sag measurements. Yours does too, maybe you should read it. Carefully. Thanks Honda.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Yes you could try 100 or 103mm but it won't make a too stiff spring feel much better IMO

Would I achieve this by loosening the spring adjusting collar or tightening it? And after I make an adjustment should I re-tighten the locking collar each time to take my measurements? Or can I leave it loose until I achieve the correct rider sag? And lastly, how severe of an adjustment should I be making to increase that sag by ~5mm, I know you can't say exactly 1 3/4 turns of the spring, but I'm not sure how big of a difference 1 turn or so of the spring will make.

Thanks mog, you've been a huge help so far.

My Honda OEM owners manual has race and static sag measurements. Yours does too, maybe you should read it. Carefully. Thanks Honda.

Well would you care to share where you found that information? I've looked over the spec list and entire rear wheel/suspension section carefully and haven't found anything. I find all the specs for the rest of the suspension adjustments such as the clickers, but nothing about sag...

How much do you weigh? If you are around 155lbs you want your race sag at 105mm -110mm. Static sag at 45mm - 50mm.

I weight just over 140 without gear.

Would I achieve this by loosening the spring adjusting collar or tightening it? And after I make an adjustment should I re-tighten the locking collar each time to take my measurements? Or can I leave it loose until I achieve the correct rider sag? And lastly, how severe of an adjustment should I be making to increase that sag by ~5mm, I know you can't say exactly 1 3/4 turns of the spring, but I'm not sure how big of a difference 1 turn or so of the spring will make.

Thanks mog, you've been a huge help so far.

Well would you care to share where you found that information? I've looked over the spec list and entire rear wheel/suspension section carefully and haven't found anything. I find all the specs for the rest of the suspension adjustments such as the clickers, but nothing about sag...

I weight just over 140 without gear.

Are you looking in the Service manual or the OWNERS manual? The info is in your OWNERS manual in the susp adjustment section. The VERY first thing presented is Race Sag.  The Honda susp adj section is very excellent, study it and I'll bet you find success. Good luck.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Are you looking in the Service manual or the OWNERS manual. The info is in your OWNERS manual in the susp adjustment section. The Honda susp adj section is very excellent, study it and I'll bet you find success. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking in the service manual, I have no idea where the hell I put my owners manual. This should make for a fun hunt tonight when I get home, but I bet I could find it online.