Sign in to follow this  

Thanks for the KLX250S/XR650 Shifter tip! (New member)

I wanted to say thanks the members of the forum for all the great info out there to help new owners!  I bought my new 2012 KLX250 in April of 2013 and have followed this and other boards since that time.

Like some other owners, I found that the stock shift lever seemed a bit short to get "under" when wearing riding boots.  I am certain it was on ThumperTalk that I read about the XR650L shift lever being a good fit but longer than the stock one or at least someone on this board referenced someone else's post on the subject. 

I purchased an MSR Steel Shift Lever for the 93+ XR650L, part# 07-0707, and found that it fit perfectly and extended the lever end about 7/8" farther forward.  Due to the placement of the splines, the lever ended up "clocked" a little lower than the stocker was, but it turned out to be a more comfortable position for both up and down shifting.  When clocked to the next position higher, the upshift required a very exagerated motion, in part due to the longer throw caused by the longer lever.

It works great - thanks for the tip!

Attached are a couple pics that will hopefully be helpful to someone else:

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

God bless,

TC

Edited by TimC63