Give a little love to the newbies

As a newbie to ThumperTalk and new owner of a XR 400...I just wanted to start a thread to display the excitement that one has after the purchase of their new toy.  

98 XR 400.

Things I have done:

- took carb off bike, tore apart and cleaned everything (2 great videos on youtube)

- changed oil and filter

- removed chain, cleaned and set tension

- changed brake fluids

- scrubbed clean and added tank decals

- cleaned and oiled air filter

- wired front and back lights

Bike is running great but I plan to buy spark plug wrench and change plug.  Also ahead is new brake pads.

XR440.JPG

Edited by the Terminator

Looks nice. Congrats.

What size is that rear sprocket, looks small.

No kickstand?

Chain looks rough. This must be the " before " picture.

Edited by Trailryder42

Read Gordon's mods and the FAQ.

Lubing the swing arm bolt is a good idea if there is water in your area. Lubing the shock linkage too. The swing arm bolt is one item that gives problems over time.

Looks nice. Congrats.

What size is that rear sprocket, looks small.

No kickstand?

Chain looks rough. This must be the " before " picture.

First off...thanks for your post. I thought back sprocket looked small...but bike pulls front wheel in lower gears and climbs well even if I lug it down during climb and get back into it. I do single track trail riding and like to climb hills...top speed is not a concern within reason. What do you recomend toothwise?

Yes, there is no kickstand....and it drives me nuts. Chain is DID...and in good condition...must be picture.

Nice to hear another xr4 happy owner.Be careful on rear chain adj.The way Honda tells you to do it,not good.When you get chain close to the right place,it will always be too tight ,then when you go back one notch too loose.Go with the loose adj.Then you and or buddy,sit on seat,no kick stand,natural.Check that chain is not tight.BTR.

Nice bike, looks pretty clean. Where did you get your tank stickers ?  XR4's are famous for the kick stand breaking off, my theory is that they are hard to start and young guys kick all day long while on the stand and it wasn't designed to take that abuse.

15/45 is stock. If you want more climbing power, a 14 tooth front works well and only needs a chain slack adjustment.

First off...thanks for your post. I thought back sprocket looked small...but bike pulls front wheel in lower gears and climbs well even if I lug it down during climb and get back into it. I do single track trail riding and like to climb hills...top speed is not a concern within reason. What do you recomend toothwise?

Nice bike, looks pretty clean. Where did you get your tank stickers ? XR4's are famous for the kick stand breaking off, my theory is that they are hard to start and young guys kick all day long while on the stand and it wasn't designed to take that abuse.

Just bought bike a couple of weeks ago and PO had decals at purchase. He could not pass along much history of bike. Swing arm says XR 440...not really sure about that...no history on kickstand.

Edited by the Terminator

Nice to hear another xr4 happy owner.Be careful on rear chain adj.The way Honda tells you to do it,not good.When you get chain close to the right place,it will always be too tight ,then when you go back one notch too loose.Go with the loose adj.Then you and or buddy,sit on seat,no kick stand,natural.Check that chain is not tight.BTR.

I thought the same thing when he said "set tension".  

You don't want any tension on the chain at any point of wheel travel.  

Like BTR said, it's better to have it a little loose than too tight.  Too tight wears out the chain, sprockets, and countershaft bearing.  The chain guide keeps the chain from jumping off.

Looking for longer shift lever. Can someone direct me to where I can find extended shift lever. I have size 13 feet and it is very difficult to shift at times. Also, looking for spark plug wrench.

Looks like I might need to back off chain slack.

Edited by the Terminator

One word...3 letters.....SAG

Search and set it...

welcome aboard noob :ride: 

Hi, I'm a fairly new xr owner myself, 2000 year 7000 km from new) having just covered 600km on the bike it's ready for a service, (just had 1 before I picked it up) my list being its first service by me ill be looking at the oil at the strainer in the frame down tube, also the strainer in the gearbox side case, plug oil an air filter, wheel bearings an pads ,an tappets, ill be having a look at swing arm bearings while I'm on aswell, wish list includes black excel rims, black accrobis plastics mita enduro tyres brembo floating discs, other than that its ok!! Good luck with it may up have trouble free years to come! P.s mine running 15 f an 52 rear sprockets its good 4 around 70 mph an love skying front wheel! Have fun!!

600km?!! I ride mine for roughly 1000km and the oil still comes out clean. What type of riding do you do?

Hi, I'm a fairly new xr owner myself, 2000 year 7000 km from new) having just covered 600km on the bike it's ready for a service, (just had 1 before I picked it up) my list being its first service by me ill be looking at the oil at the strainer in the frame down tube, also the strainer in the gearbox side case, plug oil an air filter, wheel bearings an pads ,an tappets, ill be having a look at swing arm bearings while I'm on aswell, wish list includes black excel rims, black accrobis plastics mita enduro tyres brembo floating discs, other than that its ok!! Good luck with it may up have trouble free years to come! P.s mine running 15 f an 52 rear sprockets its good 4 around 70 mph an love skying front wheel! Have fun!!

Congrats, nice bike, bonus for the black excels! When my stocks are too bashed up (shouldn't be long now) I can't help but think I'll end up with black rims. I like that look a lot.

I have always ran 15/50 gearing and my 03 is unstoppable.

Kickstand falling off? No issues here....yet..... :lol:

There is a LED style bulb you can add to the stock rear light. It works better than the regular type and is only a few bucks more.

Have fun!!

As a newbie to ThumperTalk and new owner of a XR 400...I just wanted to start a thread to display the excitement that one has after the purchase of their new toy.

98 XR 400.

Things I have done:

- took carb off bike, tore apart and cleaned everything (2 great videos on youtube)

- changed oil and filter

- removed chain, cleaned and set tension

- changed brake fluids

- scrubbed clean and added tank decals

- cleaned and oiled air filter

- wired front and back lights

Bike is running great but I plan to buy spark plug wrench and change plug. Also ahead is new brake pads.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif XR440.JPG

I too am the virgin proud owner of an XR400 !!!

She has a mere Genuine 3250KM on the clock for a 2000 year.

I first fell in love with this model back in 96/'97 when my dads friend had his delivered in the crate... What a machine ! :)

- Gordons Mods (awaiting Uni Filter)

- Carb, Airbox, Inlet Cleaned

- 14T CS on

- New Chain and 45T

- Headers Externally Scotch Bright

- Engine Deep Cleaned Fins etc

- Polished Kick Starter to Mirror Finish

- Removed the words "KICK START" from the lever altogether !

- Oil and Filter

The bike came totally stock to me apart from dubious Jetting. 162 / 55 (UK Model)

Since discovering this FANTASTIC forum, I have successfully (I think) improved the overall feel and ooomf of the bike. Totally smitten is an understatement :D

She is plated, an am undergoing "Re-Education" by the driving authority to regain my license, after not having much luck with cars...

Photo is previously to Polishing/Removing KICK START WORDS!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380048499.515094.jpg

- Removed the words "KICK START" from the lever altogether !

I've had more people comment on that about my bike.

They call it a girl's bike or a beginner's bike because of it...... before the ride.

Then I make them eat their words with a side helping of warm dust.