Where does your clutch start engaugeing?

Just wondering where other riders clutch lever is when the clutch actually starts to engage.

I have a 13 crf450 and a 11 kx250f Both have hinson full clutches

Both bikes seem to disengage at the very end of the lever releasing. I have been battling this on my 250f since I got it and recently my 450 as, I just got the bike. I am coming from a 2006 CF450 and the hinson clutch actually came from the 06 as Honda went back to the old design for 2013. when the clutch was on my 06 the clutch would engage when the lever was 1//2 out or less. I would like to get back to this point because my starts were better this way.

Before someone chimes in and says adjust the clutch I have adjusted the clutch everyway possible - I do have free play at the clutch lever

I have even put in smaller spacers behind the pressure plate that way the pressure plate will not disengage as much and reengage quicker right?

I don't know what springs are being used they are spray painted blue ? not sure if these are stock or hinson's? would changing springs help my issue? the clutches do not slip when I am riding and I don't care about how hard the lever pulls in. Just trying to get the clutch to engage sooner when letting out the lever or is this not possible when running the hinson set up.

Just wondering where other riders clutch lever is when the clutch actually starts to engage.

Both bikes seem to disengage at the very end of the lever releasing. I have been battling this on my 250f since I got it and recently my 450 as, I just got the bike. I am coming from a 2006 CF450 and the hinson clutch actually came from the 06 as Honda went back to the old design for 2013. when the clutch was on my 06 the clutch would engage when the lever was 1//2 out or less. I would like to get back to this point because my starts were better this way.

Before someone chimes in and says adjust the clutch I have adjusted the clutch everyway possible - I do have free play at the clutch lever

I have even put in smaller spacers behind the pressure plate that way the pressure plate will not disengage as much and reengage quicker right?

I don't know what springs are being used they are spray painted blue ? not sure if these are stock or hinson's? would changing springs help my issue? the clutches do not slip when I am riding and I don't care about how hard the lever pulls in. Just trying to get the clutch to engage sooner when letting out the lever or is this not possible when running the hinson set up.

I know I describe the issue for crf but its the same with the kawi as well.

Do you know that there are two places to adjust the clutch on the cable?

From a mechanical standpoint, the clutch internals will only determine how much cable pull is needed to go from fully engaged to fully disengaged.  The cable adjustments will determine where that happens at the lever.

Hmm, that kind of interesting. I think I understand the thinking on the start but when riding lap after lap if I have to pull further to engage its waaaay more fatiguing for me.. Im getting old though, lol.. Im fairly particular about lever positioning and sensitivity myself..  I actually prefer a slightly or more squishy front brake than most would because I tend to get a little sloppy after a 45 min race .. I don't think I have answered your question but I guess I truly would suggest practicing youre starts with a  clutch that engages further out simply because it will be less work during the race..450's are so powerful that they stand you up in ruts when grabbing to much throttle so I must slip the clutch a lot and its just much easier... To each they're own .. 

As you let out the lever, power is transmitted through the clutch, the more you let out, the more power gets transferred. There is typically a thin area of where spligge can be deteced and the sensation of full engagement. is often had to sense and I suspect an area you want to make broader. Not an easy job. Yod'd need a vaiable pull lever (I have never seen one) similar in concept to cam shaped throttles (see the G2 for example). Failing that, increaing the overal lever travel is a solution many have employed. A cable, with a longer inner, a taller perch (I hope you have big hands) and a longer actuation arm at the engine.

What you have done so far is just weaken the ability of the springs to provide complete engagement and may cause premature clutch wear.

If your reasons are because of tight traqils, consider gearing your bike down. # teeth larger on the back or one smaller on the front can make a world off difference.

yes, I know there is two spots.

Please do not cross post. All three identical threads are now merged.