Can someone show me how to check/adjust valves in San Diego? yz450f *Pictures!

Pretty much what the title says. I purchased a 2005 yz450f 2 weeks ago and have been reading up on checking/adjusting valves and would like to make sure the bike is in spec for the upcoming riding season.I am very mechanically inclined, however when it comes to timing cams and valves I get a little nervious and would like to watch before I take it on myself. I called a local shop (Fun Bike Center) and they wanted $500 to check/adjust the valves.

I would also be willing to take it in but need a good recomendation of a shop that won't take advantage, but again that would keep me from learning myself. I can bring my bike and a 6 pack and pizza!

Lastly, what size jets are you running for riding around the area? I am finding my bike backfires and pops a good amount on deceleration.

*** included a few pictures from this past weekend, went to Plaster city to teach the wife how to ride on her ttr230. plastercity.JPGsilv4.JPG

learn to do it your self, it's really easy. Once you do it once you will wonder why you even questioned your self. Checking them is especially easy, adjusting them is a little more difficult because you do have to reset the timing, but all the cam sprockets and flywheels have marks so you can make sure the timing is right. Get a manual if you don't already have one.

really, before you take it anywhere. pull you tank and plastics, take off your valve cover. Once everything is clear it's just the two allens on top. Once it's out of the way you can check your clearances with feeler gauges. If everything is in spec put it back together. if not you can decide where you want to go from there.  

• Like 1

the three intake should be .10-.15mm and the two exhaust should be .20-.25mm between cam heel and cap.

and you can probably find your manual online in pdf form. I take my laptop into the garage with me........

edit: http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/index.php

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 1

Seen your post, I live in Spring Valley, La Mesa area and being working on motorcycles on the side out of my garage. If you wanna bring it by sometime id be happy to show you how to do it. Your style bike has the shim type which I haven't done it myself but know how to do it and very simple but you have to have the shims if they need adjusted but you have to check them to see what size.Hit me up if you wanna bring it by.

Eric

Seen your post, I live in Spring Valley, La Mesa area and being working on motorcycles on the side out of my garage. If you wanna bring it by sometime id be happy to show you how to do it. Your style bike has the shim type which I haven't done it myself but know how to do it and very simple but you have to have the shims if they need adjusted but you have to check them to see what size.Hit me up if you wanna bring it by.

Eric

Eric,

Thanks so much, I may take you up on this if I need to add any shims. I will probably check the clearances tonight and if they need to be adjusted I may be hitting you up to bring the bike by with the correct size shims. Thanks!

AJ

Pretty much what the title says. I purchased a 2005 yz450f 2 weeks ago and have been reading up on checking/adjusting valves and would like to make sure the bike is in spec for the upcoming riding season.I am very mechanically inclined, however when it comes to timing cams and valves I get a little nervious and would like to watch before I take it on myself. I called a local shop (Fun Bike Center) and they wanted $500 to check/adjust the valves.

I would also be willing to take it in but need a good recomendation of a shop that won't take advantage, but again that would keep me from learning myself. I can bring my bike and a 6 pack and pizza!

Lastly, what size jets are you running for riding around the area? I am finding my bike backfires and pops a good amount on deceleration.

*** included a few pictures from this past weekend, went to Plaster city to teach the wife how to ride on her ttr230. plastercity.JPG silv4.JPG

$300, 12 pack of corona, and Hawaiian thin crust.

*** included a few pictures from this past weekend, went to Plaster city to teach the wife how to ride on her ttr230. plastercity.JPG silv4.JPG

Mechanically inclined? Wait???

• Like 1

*** included a few pictures from this past weekend, went to Plaster city to teach the wife how to ride on her ttr230. ?plastercity.JPG?silv4.JPG

FBC must be having trouble paying the space rent. When you we're in there, how many people (non-employees) were in the store? Last time and everytime I was there, there was more people behind the parts counter than customers in the store.  Besides, you sed you bot a Yamaha, not a honda. shouldn't need to look at the valves till it needs a piston. :ride:

Edited by Dube2

500 bucks to check valves . . . that'd be the last call I'd place to that shop . . . they must have thought you needed something else or just took you for an idiot.  Should be under 100 bucks.

That's about right for a brick and mortar retail store.

You have to figure $85-95.00 per hour minimum for any labor at a 'real' shop, .... and that's a 4 hour job for your average tech, half that for someone with a brain and all the shims and gaskets at hand.

That's about right for a brick and mortar retail store.

You have to figure $85-95.00 per hour minimum for any labor at a 'real' shop, .... and that's a 4 hour job for your average tech, half that for someone with a brain and all the shims and gaskets at hand.

Even the stealership charged less than 200 . . . The shop I use charges under 100 for a valve adjustment.

FBC must be having trouble paying the space rent. When you we're in there, how many people (non-employees) were in the store? Last time and everytime I was there, there was more people behind the parts counter than customers in the store.  Besides, you sed you bot a Yamaha, not a honda. shouldn't need to look at the valves till it needs a piston. :ride:

No kidding, there was easily 2:1 employee ratio there. I have given that shop a few chances as well, every time it seems like I am burdening their sales guys when I ask them to order me a part. That's not to say every sales guy/girl there is like this as I hear very friendly conversations going on, just got a unhappy employee both times.

This weekend I am going to check the valves and replace the fork seals, if I find I need to adjust them I may take one of you guys up on your offer, thank you!

AJ

No kidding, there was easily 2:1 employee ratio there. I have given that shop a few chances as well, every time it seems like I am burdening their sales guys when I ask them to order me a part. That's not to say every sales guy/girl there is like this as I hear very friendly conversations going on, just got a unhappy employee both times.

This weekend I am going to check the valves and replace the fork seals, if I find I need to adjust them I may take one of you guys up on your offer, thank you!

AJ

Try the SKF seals, you'll love them!!  Did it to a couple of my bikes and it feels plusher.  Get them online via Smart racing.