MXDN bikes: FIM vs US production rule bikes

I seem to recall that during the MXdN the FIM bikes are running different spec rules vs what the Americans run.

Does anyone know the difference (if any) and can they elaborate. In other words, are the euros running elaborate 1 off's and the US riders on production rules bikes?

I believe so

The rules are different. But I think there is a production rule there too. There was a tony cairolli edition 350. Like the dungey 450. Not sure if it was for a production rule. But i remember a few years ago we went over to europe and our bikes were too loud, it was a big problem.

They can use a more works based bikes and preproduction bikes. 

We have yo meet their sound and fuel regs.

Edited by GBowman

They can use a more works based bikes and preproduction bikes. 

We have yo meet their sound and fuel regs.

Is their sound regulations stricter than the AMA?  For some reason I want to believe it is.

Is their sound regulations stricter than the AMA?  For some reason I want to believe it is.

Yes they are. 

Yep sound and fuel limitations choke our bike up over there... I remember hearing Goose (I think it was) give an interview on how they had to build/design complete new engines to take over there to race because of fuel and sound regs. 

It is talked about in this video about how much more powerful our bikes are than what they ride over there.

+1 on the fuel and sound regulations over there.  I recall hearing interviews with both of the KTM World Champs (k-roc and Marv) really marveling at the power of the U.S. version of their KTM 250-F compared to the Euro version when they first got to ride their factory bikes here.

Interesting to hear that ours are more powerful than theirs. I wrongly assumed that the 1 off's would be much more powerful.

Interesting to hear that ours are more powerful than theirs. I wrongly assumed that the 1 off's would be much more powerful.

If they ran race gas and opened the header a little,  they'd be faster. 

If they ran race gas and opened the header a little,  they'd be faster. 

lol opened the header a little? hows that possible

The exhaust on those bikes is very restricted compared to ours to meet the sound requirements.

Do you really not understand what I'm saying? 

while reading this i just cant help but think how fast herlings already is on the euro spec bikes.  just imagine if he had a us spec.   

while reading this i just cant help but think how fast herlings already is on the euro spec bikes.  just imagine if he had a us spec.   

Its a double edged sword though. Slower is faster in the sand. I can't help but think the less powerful bike would be easier to ride fast in the sand. On good dirt, one of our more powerful bike would benefit him for sure.

Do you really not understand what I'm saying? 

well obviously not, thats why i asked...dick

Its a double edged sword though. Slower is faster in the sand. I can't help but think the less powerful bike would be easier to ride fast in the sand. On good dirt, one of our more powerful bike would benefit him for sure.

Absolutely not, the faster you go in sand, the better off you are. The faster your bike can go in sand, the better you can ride it.

EDIT: Im not trying to comeoff as a dick here.

Edited by 2uptite

Absolutely not, the faster you go in sand, the better off you are. The faster your bike can go in sand, the better you can ride it.

EDIT: Im not trying to comeoff as a dick here.

I usually agree with you but I don't agree with this at all. We are talking power pure power in the sand. The smoother the curve the better off you will be! Having lights witch power in the sand is never as good as smooth roll on power! The bike that rolls on smooth and revs further will be easier to ride than a bike that hits like a 125. A bike that revs slower is easier to keep in the sweet spot. A bike with big hp #s will likely be peaky. It will spin easier and be harder to ride in the area that it gives those big numbers.

Herrings is fast because he is smooth, takes good lines and carries momentum to keep the bike on top. It's not because his bike puts outrageous numbers down on the dyno. Barcia is a prime example of a guy that uses every bit that the bike has and it slows him down because he slams into berms and breaks traction. He didn't lose because his bike was less powerful.

Sorry for the jacked up post. Trying to type on my phone

So a 250f is faster on the sand than a 450?