Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 this thing needs an exorcism!

I dont know where to start. This thing makes me cry like a little bi**h!!!!

I need to slow this thing down, its not the acceleration , is that its so unpredictable, i dont know if its my bike that is set up wrong or all yz like this, but im leaning towards retarding the igniton a couple of degrees.

Its like i dont know when the powerband is gonna kick, sometimes i know, sometimes it will just stay flat, sometimes it will just fake it to give me a little stroke.This thing its  just pure evil.

Edited by thieaux

This thing its  just pure evil.

HAHAHA!

I hadn't been on a dirt bike in over 27 years, and in April bought a 2013 YZ250.

Very first ride, I gassed it a "little" too much going around a flat semi-berm turn.

Rear tire went thataway and I ended up in the dirt on my hands and knees.

Guys came over, "Man are you OK?"

I was grinning too much to answer. 

Ride a lot more, get the feel of the throttle, and use the happy switch (clutch) to modulate power/bail yourself out.

AFWIW, I installed a GYTR weighted flywheel.  I see the most benefit in stall prevention during trail riding, although it did mellow the hit just a bit.

HAHA!  Pure evil.  Thanks for the morning chuckle.  (Laughing with you, not at you).

Good luck.

Edited by SpunBearing

I've spent the last 5yrs trying to tame mine. ;)

5 degrees retarded works best for me. Along with...

Proper jetting, Rekluse clutch, 13oz flywheel weight, dirt tamer throttle cam, Gnarly pipe, Stealth silencer.

It still scares me on hill climbs but not too much anywhere else.

In the end the tons of power combined with light weight are worth it. :thumbsup:

Im still waiting for my needles to come in, so i can dial in the carbs, im running 32:1 with motul 800, everyone says its too much oil and to run it at 40 and so on, but acording to the various threads its the jetting that is off no the premix.

Whats your guys take on this, should i keep my ratio and dial the jetting or go to 40:1(to reduce the spooge)?

With motul 800 you need to be a mid to top rider revving that engine quite high IMO as the flash point is quite high.

Where can i get motul 200? :goofy:

I'm still not convinced your power valve is functioning properly. It is either a jetting issue or a powervalve issue. Put a fresh plug (br8eg) and run the bike through the ranges. Then pull the plug out and examine

Aye aye captain..

When i got the bike, the power valve was stuck and full of sludge , so i took apart and cleaned it off replaced hardware and lubed it with molybdenum disulfide oil and everything worked really smooth again.

ill put a new plug and report back. But im still leaning towards jetting. Somehow my bike has the stock europe spec jetting 52 175s and pj 50

Edited by thieaux

Hey, my 2006 had the same sort of thing. Really racy. Turned out to be worn crank seals. Sucking air that threw off the jetting.

I did have a rekluse pro zstart that worked great!  Mine umm happens to be for sale in the classifieds. Get mine, new or other and really enjoy it for offroad ridnig.

Mike

Aye aye captain..

When i got the bike, the power valve was stuck and full of sludge , so i took apart and cleaned it off replaced hardware and lubed it with molybdenum disulfide oil and everything worked really smooth again.

ill put a new plug and report back. But im still leaning towards jetting. Somehow my bike has the stock europe spec jetting 52 172s and pj 55

UPDATE:

Today took a ride, the bike felt awesome, knew when the bike would kick, no slugging ,everything was great....

So this are the variables, help me decide:

1.Temperature was ridiculously high 95 with 59% humidity .

2.Ran the bike really hard.....

3. Added another gallon of premix, like before.

Maybe a combination of 1 and 2...if so how to make the bike perfom like this when the temp varies?