Best Cold Weather Handguard Covers

I am wanting to add some large coverage handguards over my current guards to keep my hands warmer and drier for winter riding. I already have grip heaters and love them, but the windchill still gets to my fingers that I keep on my levers. I want somethign that is easy to take on and off, like with zip ties or something.

Here's what I have on now:

DSCN0159_zps1fbc6de9.jpg

Here are some that I am looking at so you get the idea of what I am after.

2222-850.jpg

MSR-340183_md.jpg

41NJPYN%2BP%2BL._SX385_.jpg

These will primarily be used in rainy muddy sloppy conditions ranging from the 20s to the 40s. What do you guys have and/or recommend?

Edited by woods-rider

Elephant Ears, if you can still find them.  Easy to install and they work!

Also consider grip warmers.

Edited by chuck4788

I have grip heaters and they are awesome.

Who makes the elephant ears?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/atv-mitts

Winner winner chicken dinner! keeps hands cold and slop free!

I think I want a more open style. I'm sure those would keep my hands drier and warmer, but I don't like the idea of my hands being in something like that.. If I were riding a snow bike, or in extremely cold temps then I may go for something like that. The coldest it gets around here is in the 20s, and that's not even very often.

It is between Hippo Hands and the Moose ones posted above. My only concern is how easy it is to clear the Hippo Hands in a hurry.

P10200991.JPG

Edited by pizzaforbreakfast

To me 20 is too cold haha just throwing it out there. their cheap and they aren't constricting on the hands.

These look like a good compromise between protection and easy to clear.

14258-Rev-Rea-Frontr.jpg

14258-Snow-Rear-View.jpg

It is between Hippo Hands and the Moose ones posted above. My only concern is how easy it is to clear the Hippo Hands in a hurry.

P10200991.JPG

Those Hippo Hands are MASSIVE. I bet they work well, but I think they are a little over the top for what I am looking for.

These look like a good compromise between protection and easy to clear.

14258-Rev-Rea-Frontr.jpg

14258-Snow-Rear-View.jpg

What kind are these? Have you used them before?

I use the simple MSR ones you pictured.  easy to mount ( one nylon strap) , takes 30 seconds to do, and get the job done along with my grip heaters.  I ride the same "weather" as you all winter long :ride:

Joe

I use the simple MSR ones you pictured.  easy to mount ( one nylon strap) , takes 30 seconds to do, and get the job done along with my grip heaters.  I ride the same "weather" as you all winter long :ride:

Joe

With the one strap are they very secure? Do you take them off for transportation so they don't blow off on the freeway? The MSR ones are the type I have see most around here so those are what I was leaning towards originally.

With the one strap are they very secure? Do you take them off for transportation so they don't blow off on the freeway? The MSR ones are the type I have see most around here so those are what I was leaning towards originally.

No they stay on all winter.  I DO use a zip tie to secure down the nylon strap so it doesn't loosen up......very easy set up.

Joe

Grip heaters are a godsend, even when its not that cold. If your bike has a output wattage, do it. For $40 you won't regret it. Otherwise, use MSR elephant ears, Cyclebuy has them in stock. :ride:

Grip heaters are a godsend, even when its not that cold. If your bike has a output wattage, do it. For $40 you won't regret it. Otherwise, use MSR elephant ears, Cyclebuy has them in stock. :ride:

I'm not sure if people just don't read the original post before responding, but for the third time, I already have grip heaters.

Are the MSR elephant ears the ones I have pictured above?

MSR's are the ones you pictured.  Hey.....I would recommend using grip heaters with them too :p ...... :lol:

Joe

The 2nd set I posted are PowerMadd brand.

What grip heaters are you guys using and how many watts do they use?

What grip heaters are you guys using and how many watts do they use?

I bought them in 2006 so I don't remember the brand. They may be Tusk, but they are this style. Not sure how many watts. I do put a thick heat shrink tube around the left side handlebar to insulate the bar so it doesn't act as a heat sink. They work well, but not so much for my fingers that I keep on the levers.

tus_09_gri_hea_kit-2.jpg