Fork and Shock ID

Hello guys. New to the forum. I did some searching and could not find an answer. If it is out there I would appreciate a link.

Anyways, here is my situation. I am looking to move my daughter from her '02 CR125 to a '07 up YZ125. I have went and looked at a couple I found but was troubled by the the fact the forks and shock just did not look right for the bike.

I know the '06 up are much more desirable and am concerned that I would be buying a bike with the incorrect suspension on it, which is the only reason I am buying her another bike in the first place.

Is there any way to verify that the forks and shock are the correct units? P/N? Stampings? Casting design? Anything?

Thank you!!

'06 and up shock will have a slightly larger reservoir, larger shock shaft and the shock body will be a brown/ magnesium color. Stock ti spring will generally have less windings in it and won't be painted.

If you can snap a pic of the bike(s) we can ID it pretty well.

Picture056.jpg

Picture349_zpsa844e7e7.jpg

Thanks so much for the info. I know 1 I looked at had the wrong shock now. Both I looked at had other issues which made me pass on them.

Any way to tell the front forks apart?

these forks and shock look wrong to me, can anyone confirm?? supposed to be an 06.

Thanx for help

http://images.craigslist.org/00I0I_9oAklVUF4UU_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00U0U_btdgIHyux5I_600x450.jpg

It's a '05. The silver shock body with the gold color anodized high speed adjustor and silver fork top caps mean it's not '06 or newer. 

'06 or newer YZ has the brown shock body with blue color anodized high speed adjustor and brown color anodized fork top caps.

Edited by kmtr

It's a '05. The silver shock body with the gold color anodized high speed adjustor and silver fork top caps mean it's not '06 or newer. 

'06 or newer YZ has the blown shock body with blue color anodized high speed adjustor and brown color anodized fork top c

Thank you so much! You saved me a 3 hr ride to go look at a bike the guy swears he bought new and is titled as an '06

Thank you so much! You saved me a 3 hr ride to go look at a bike the guy swears he bought new and is titled as an '06

'06 or newer YZ has the blown shock body with blue color anodized high speed adjustor and brown color anodized fork top caps.

One thing to bring up... will '05 shocks fit on an '06 frame? I don't know but I have a feeling they wouldn't, and that's 100% an '06+ frame... plus those forks look different than my forks and I've got an '04.

One thing to bring up... will '05 shocks fit on an '06 frame? I don't know but I have a feeling they wouldn't, and that's 100% an '06+ frame... plus those forks look different than my forks and I've got an '04.

I am not 100%sure but my understanding was the frame from 05-present ( the aluminum frame) had not changed, however, upon further research, there is a different part number for the 05 frame versus the 06 to present frame.

The rear swing arm has a different part numbers for the 05, the 06/07, and then the 08-present. The front triple tree has its own numbers for 05 due to the bar mounts being cast in, and then the 06 to present are another number.

Your '04 was the last year of the steel frame. In 05 they went to the twin chamber forks, then in 06 went to the SSS system.

Edited by BadOutlaw

Both the shock and forks will bolt right up from 04 to present! Wheel spacers are needed for some years.

Another way to tell the difference between the '05 and the '06/'07 YZ's is the lettering on the rims.   '05 and earlier had red Excel lettering, while '06/'07 had blue lettering.  '08 and up had the wave rotors.  Not always 100% (they may have swapped wheels), but it can be seen in your craigslist pics.