Sign in to follow this  

Question after sprocket change

I put a 13t front sprocket on the pig about 1000 miles ago, and now I've got about 2400 on her total. My question is regarding the little green/red chain wear indicator.  To my way of thinking, that chain wear indicator is supposed to give you an idea about when your chain has stretched enough that it is time to change it since it's likely near its end correct?  Yet, if I changed to a 13t, which is smaller, it makes more slack in the chain, and so the chain wear indicator will be off because of the smaller sprocket and more slack in the chain, not because of chain stretch right? 

My indicator is getting near the red mark, yet I don't think the chain would be worn out yet with just 2400. Am I right in this thinking. I did adjust the chain after the sprocket change. 

Thanks0923131759a.jpg

• Like 2

i put my 13 on with under 500 miles and the chain went to the red and i know the chain is fine--I would not worry bout it !!

• Like 1

Just throw a 42 or 43 on the rear and your "gauge" will be back in sync ....  :p

That indicator only applies to a stock set up ... once you change things you have to use good judgement and common sense ...  :prof:

On a side note: ... I really dislike the term "Pig" when referring to this bike. It really does not apply !!! Even Lost from next door clarified that this bike is not a Little Red Pig but rather the "little red piggy that could" anyway you can call your bike what ever you want.  :shocked:  I would not call my woman a bitch either but I know guys that do. 

image.php?serial=85467468

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 3

If you keep your chain lubricated, I doubt it is worn out.  Post a pic of chain and sprockets if you get a chance.  

I keep it cleaned and lubed with Triflow all the time. I was just wondering if what I suspected was correct. 

• Like 2

That's good to know I didn't really know how long a chain would last. Would you put eight thousand miles is a good starting point for a rear sprocket change as well?

That's good to know I didn't really know how long a chain would last. Would you put eight thousand miles is a good starting point for a rear sprocket change as well?

Chain and Sprockets should always be replaced as sets once they become a little worn  ....  :prof:

Ill assume that is a YES, that chain and rear should both go to 8k. :-)

Steel sprockets yes.

Aluminium is much more affected to wear especially from dirt.

• Like 1