Honda Cr 250r question 1986-1989

hello guys..i been searching the internet for weeks..i have a 1986 honda cr 250r and the jug was cracked..so i ordered a 89 jug on ebay in great shape and the seller said will fit 86-89.. so i went to bolt it up and it bolted right up..but the spindle cam was completely different...so i bought a spindle cam and its in the mail on its way to fit the 89 cylinder..i also bought a crankcase cover from a 88 because i was told from the same seller it would work as well..i am thinking it may have a different water pump..i still have the valves in my 86 head and they are a little different in the 89 clyinder..it seems that the 86 is spring loaded where there is an ajustment on the cylinder..and the 89 doesnt have an ajustment screw..what should I do to make this work? the 89 cyl on the 86 bottom end? i hope someone can please give me good advice..i put alot of $$$ in this build and feel like i am getting nowhere..thank you all   Rob* p.s if u look right at the bottom end on the 86 and at the bottom of the 89 bottom end where the spindle cam is..the 86 has a bushing sticking up where it would go into the cyl. along with the spindle cam..the 89 does not  :(

As far as I know, the only thing different is the exhaust port shape. My knowledge is limited with the top ends, so take it with a grain of salt. The 88' cover will fit fine, but will still corrode from the anti-freeze. You'd want a 89' cover that made from aluminum, not magnesium, in order to prevent the corrosion.

Also, post up some pics.

thats the big problem..the spindle cam from the 86 won't fit the cyl. and the 89 spindle cam that i ordered i got a bad feeling its not going to work..my only other option is to mabey take the valves out of the 86 cly. and put it in the 89 cyl... tho i would rather not do that :(  looks like the 89 valves are better

you think it is possible to put the 89 spindle in the 86 bottom end and remove the bushing on the bottom end on the top..as u see in the picture? or should i remove the valves from the 86 and switch them out with the 89 valves?  I just want to make this work..and any advive is good advice at this point..otherwise why would they say 86 threw 89 interchange if they dont?  thank you all for the help..i am a new bee here.. I appreciate it

you will see first my 86 jug and then the 89 and the 86 spindle cam and a 89 spindle cam  on the bottom ends..i am trying to put a 86 spindle cam in a 89 cyl..clearly its not gonna work

I got my crank case cover and just like i thought...the waterpump is different..the 88 cover has a Retainer Comp.,sp Cr250r 1988 thats where the spindle cam follower goes into...the 86 has no retainer Comp what so ever..like i said its spring loaded..just different..so whom ever said its possible i wanna know how?

You should be able to just swap the parts over from the 86.

Thats what i was thinking..or hoping..but i did buy the 89 spindle..it should be in the mail..if you go look at the new message i put up..it has a little better pics..says Help Honda cr250 86.....   now do you know anyone whom has done this before? or tried to put the 89 or 88 cyl on a 87 or 86 bottom end?   i also seen a few threads that some people say maybe also the 86 connecting rod is shorter..that dont make since..but if it is..what would happen? will i lose power? 

i posted another discussion and some guy whom owns a bike shop says it won't work..why would the shamatics be the same from 86~89 with the cylinders? and it not work? he kinda upset me with the comment :(  I really want to make it work without being stuck with a 89 cylinder and a 89 spindle cam I spent 250.00s on and have to spend more money to get a 86~87 cylinder