Setting up stock 400S suspension help

Can anybody help me get close on my suspension setup, I have no idea how the suspension on this 03 was setup by previous owners but it is all stock. I weigh 185. Not sure where to start or how to adjust the front fork, any tips are appreciated, thanks.

Can anybody help me get close on my suspension setup, I have no idea how the suspension on this 03 was setup by previous owners but it is all stock. I weigh 185. Not sure where to start or how to adjust the front fork, any tips are appreciated, thanks.

youtube man i think there are a couple of videos

There are some general theories on what to do :) are you looking to find out how to perform the adjustments or looking for tips on a good setup?

It would be cool if there was something in the FAQs for those of us that really just want to make the best of a stock bike, and really have no idea of the different adjustments and just what they do.

I searched and found some random info, but nothing complete and in one place.

race sag? ok, if its outside of 4" do i adjust the shock, forks, both? rebound adjuster? blue adjuster, rebound screw? beats me :)

I've played with it some, but without any real idea of which should be done first, when to call it good, end goals etc.

That's because there really is no ONE setting that works for everyone.  Each rider "rides" the bike differently, in different conditions and has different expectations.  Your best bet is to start with the factory settings (in owners and/or service manual) for the fork/shock clickers (compression & rebound), fork height in the triple clamps and tire pressures. As far as rear race sag, it depends on whether you plan on mostly riding dirt, mixed (DS) or street.  For mostly dirt a good starting point for rear race sag is 90-110 mm (most target around 100 mm) and for mostly street 70-80 mm is acceptable.  Your static sag will let you know if the spring is good for your weight (if the static sag is way off your spring is either too light or stiff), ~25-35 mm for dirt and ~15-25 mm for street.  From there adjustments to the suspension are made based on feel and/or “lap time”.  Pick an obstacle, section of course/road/trail where you feel the bike’s suspension is lacking and slowly make adjustments (one adjustment at a time).

I'm sorry but I don't like spoon feeding people... you need to spend some time and research, it's not that difficult.  If you don't know what the rebound adjuster is or where it is... then I can't expect you to follow and/or understand my recommendations anyway.