Handlebar location on the clamps

Ok, I should probably be able to answer this myself.   Infact, I think the answer is yes, but I just want a little more confirmation.

My POS KTM (All KTM'S are junk, lets just get that out there right up front) got ridden last weekend.  I have been making some modifications to the cockpit, contrary to what I have ALWAYS done.   Usually I have my bars on the furthest location forward (the POS KTM's have had 4 way adjustable bar clamps for over 10 years.  I guess the engineers don't have a clue how to set it up, so they just make a bunch of holes in the clamps and hope the owner can get it right for them).

I usually also have my garbage OEM oversized bars  (same as they have had for over a decade) rotated pretty far forward.

I decided to rotate the bars back, and pull the bar mounts to a more rearward position.   

I noticed the bike was tough to get to turn into corners.   What I am actually wondering is this-

If the bars are closer to the seat on the clamps, do you have less leverage over the front wheel?    Kind of like having a shorter steering stem on a bicycle as opposed to a longer stem.   I'm just curious to see if indeed that change from bars at the front of the clamps to the rear of the clamps would have decreased my leverage enough to cause a turn-in leverage issue.   I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the fact that it is a KTM, and it's a POS.   it just seemed odd that it would have made that much of a difference.

This has been a serious question, by the way.

Interesting. I ride an RM 250 (no forward/back option on my aftermarket clamps) but I have always run them pushed forward 1.5 - 2 degrees. It opened up the cockpit and made standing a little easier (I'm 6'2") but I recently put them in line with the forks, and found that the bike is easier to get into corners than it was when I had them rolled forward. Little more cramped, though. 

Interesting. I ride an RM 250 (no forward/back option on my aftermarket clamps) but I have always run them pushed forward 1.5 - 2 degrees. It opened up the cockpit and made standing a little easier (I'm 6'2") but I recently put them in line with the forks, and found that the bike is easier to get into corners than it was when I had them rolled forward. Little more cramped, though. 

I wouldn't think the rotation would make any difference, since the bar to clamp mount is still the same.   But by moving the bars away or toward the steering stem, you DO change the arm of mechanical leverage.     I'm just curious to see if that 3/4" would actually make a difference. 

I wouldn't think the rotation would make any difference, since the bar to clamp mount is still the same.   But by moving the bars away or toward the steering stem, you DO change the arm of mechanical leverage.     I'm just curious to see if that 3/4" would actually make a difference. 

You are also most likely sitting further back on the seat so not as much weight over the front end

You are also most likely sitting further back on the seat so not as much weight over the front end

Actually, I found myself sitting at least as far forward, if not more.   It was easier to move forward.

I'm experienced enough of a rider to not make THAT bad of a call!   But it wasn't an issue of front end traction.  It was an issue of the bike feeling like it had a flat front tire on initial turn-in.   

You can actually see I'm riding up on the bike pretty far.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZAhVXQ2hoM

I always thought the bar adjustments were just for rider comfort. Offsetting the axle makes a difference in handling. Even if the adjustments did make a difference, it would be a miniscule difference for a 3/4 adj.