Is it possible to reduce big bike sound level to legal limits

This is a real long shot but i figured it would be worth asking. The topic says it all. My bike is a 07 CRF 450r Is it possible to reduce sound decibel level below ca. legal limit to ride on ur own land legally?

I would say yes its possible.

What do you think it would do to power? To get it down to 50 55 or so decibels. Avarage 450 is in the mid 90s decible range. Seams like a real stretch! 450 prolly wouldn't be much of a 450 anymore.

I'm looking into any way to circumvent all our lame Ca laws regarding riding in your own property.

See the post below if interested.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1046022-laws-in-california-for-riding-on-your-own-property/

Also this article

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1046022-laws-in-california-for-riding-on-your-own-property/

the law is ....edge of property isnt it...

not coming out of bike

What dB is required in Kalifornia? 65 dB is a normal conversation between people. A telephone dial tone is 80 dB. So the 50-55 as mentioned above is impossible for a motorcycle.

What's wrong with mid 90's?

Oregon is 95 I believe. It's not really that loud.

We're talking a big difference in measurements here... The 90-ish numbers that you're throwing around is spec for the SAE J...2567? testing procedure.  This measures sound output of the motorcycle, focusing on the motorcycle.

The 50-55 number is noise levels off the property.  The bike's sound is directional (towards the rear), and that decreases with distance (inverse square law).  There's environmental controls you can work with to get down to legal limits; trees are great for attenuating sound.

Never hurts to quiet down the bike though, and it'll help in your quest to get to <55 at the property line.

Levels at the property line, okay, that makes a difference. But still, <55? The refrigerator in your kitchen produces >55 dB. The levels Kalifornia is enforcing are absurd.

Again, it comes down to distance.  Normal speech is about 60.  Two people could stand at your property line talking to each other and be outside the limit.  Solution?  Move further away from the property line... that 'inverse square law'.  Or talk quieter.  Or put a wall or other sound dampening object between source and property line.

Same principle with the bike. 

55 at the property line ... I can see why that exists, but it also has a lot to do with where you are.  55 on a 100-acre lot ... you're making a lot of noise, and again, there's distance from the property line to someone who could hear that noise.  (If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around to hear it...)

55 in an apartment complex (which is what I'm suspecting this law was aimed towards)?  That's reasonable. 

FMF Q4. Or buy a 2 stroke haha.

I guess if you have the property, go farther from the property line, and in between  or behind trees.

An old trick is to use an elbow so the exhaust points at the ground, not sure if it makes a difference on 4 strokes though.

Use a weed eater muffler.

Lol

Pack your bags and leave California, problem solved. Or buy a Zero, I hear the're real quiet.

Honestly who cares do you think someone is really going to call the cops and then the cops will come out with a decibel meter. Plus I have a 200 2 stroke which is probably way louder. I ride on the road in my neighborhood and if anyone complains I just say screw them.

^^^^   No.

Guys I'm looking into buying a new home with some land to ride on. Laws in Ca are really screwed up and very limited for even riding on ur own land, witch i just learned recently. Yes we can all just wing it and say screw them if they don't like it. All it takes is one a_ _ hole to neighbor complane, and you have problems, they shut u down, and there goes my life long dream. It's unfortunately not that cut and dry out in in the sunshine state!

Honestly who cares do you think someone is really going to call the cops and then the cops will come out with a decibel meter. Plus I have a 200 2 stroke which is probably way louder. I ride on the road in my neighborhood and if anyone complains I just say screw them.

You must be one of dem wheelie boyz!

Just remember, your chain at 65 mph probably makes 85-90 dB and yoru knobbies on pavement are probably around 80 dB.

Guys I'm looking into buying a new home with some land to ride on. Laws in Ca are really screwed up and very limited for even riding on ur own land, witch i just learned recently. Yes we can all just wing it and say screw them if they don't like it. All it takes is one a_ _ hole to neighbor complane, and you have problems, they shut u down, and there goes my life long dream. It's unfortunately not that cut and dry out in in the sunshine state!

Buy in desert!

Buy in desert!

Yup. Just buy land with no neighbors . Plenty out there. Its not as bad.in ca as some make it out to be