Sign in to follow this  

stage 1 cams or 450 BB kit?

Looking for more grunt, swapped down to a smaller rear sprocket and like the gearing but power is lacking just a bit for my style of riding. I like to keep the revs down for max gas mileage.

So, my thoughts are either get some new cams or BB kit. What are your thoughts on what I should do? I'm riding 75 miles a week on 2 lane roads where my average speed never gets over 70mph.

A dumb question on the BB kits, can they be installed without totally removing engine? Go easy on me...

Thanks

Ron W.

You don't need to take the motor out of the frame for the big bore kit if that's what you mean.  Take the stuff off to gain access to head, which comes off, and cylinder which comes off.  The kit has a replacement cylinder.  The lower end is the same, so the stroke is the same.  Just bigger bore or cylinder. 

Personally I would do cams and a high compression piston rather than big bore unless your cylinder is damaged or has a lot of hours on it.  With that combo I would do an aftermarket exhaust as well if you haven't yet.  Of course the free mods would go with all that such as the 3 x 3 hole in airbox. 

Get yourself a 434 BBK and a set of either hotcams or E cams and you should see a noticeable increase in power. What carb and pipe do you have?

• Like 2

Looks like I can get a good deal on the Athena kit but they have two choices one with 11.3 compression or 12.3, which one would you go with?

Ron W.

Edited by rjsurfer

IF you have the money you migth as well dot he cams at the same time, as you'll be in there and it's easy to do, since you've pulled the head and cylinder already. make sure to use one layer base gasket to bump the compression.

How many miles on the clock ? If she has some big miles and is still running the OEM two piece valves you might want to look at throwing a new set in while you're at it (particularly if you decided to do both BB/cams)

• Like 1

How many miles on the clock ? If she has some big miles and is still running the OEM two piece valves you might want to look at throwing a new set in while you're at it (particularly if you decided to do both BB/cams)

The bike has 9k easy miles (it was my wife's bike).

Ron W.

Looks like I can get a good deal on the Athena kit but they have two choices one with 11.3 compression or 12.3, which one would you go with?

Ron W.

I would choose the lower comp ratio

• Like 1

So you went to a smaller rear sprocket for more grunt and so that you could keep the rev's down and gas mileage up but you want to know what will give you more power?  You realize whatever you do will be counterproductive to keeping revs down and your gas mileage.  You also realize a bigger rear sprocket or a smaller front sprocket gives you the illusion of more low end torque, not the other way around, right?

• Like 1

I would choose the lower comp ratio

I would too. The higher compression means you for sure have to use high octane gas.....The Athena is a whole $150 more than a Cylinder Works kit. From good authority here, the oversized water jacket isn't much more than an advertising gimmick. If you save that money, you can, like others above have said, invest in a cam, valves, etc. and you'll have a substantial amount to put toward it. Everybody will have an opinion, read em' all and decide.  :thinking:

• Like 3

I would too. The higher compression means you for sure have to use high octane gas.....The Athena is a whole $150 more than a Cylinder Works kit. From good authority here, the oversized water jacket isn't much more than an advertising gimmick. If you save that money, you can, like others above have said, invest in a cam, valves, etc. and you'll have a substantial amount to put toward it. Everybody will have an opinion, read em' all and decide.  :thinking:

Less chance of head gasket issues using lower comp

• Like 2

Looking for more grunt, swapped down to a smaller rear sprocket and like the gearing but power is lacking just a bit for my style of riding. I like to keep the revs down for max gas mileage.

So, my thoughts are either get some new cams or BB kit. What are your thoughts on what I should do? I'm riding 75 miles a week on 2 lane roads where my average speed never gets over 70mph.

A dumb question on the BB kits, can they be installed without totally removing engine? Go easy on me...

Thanks

Ron W.

As far as fuel efficiency goes, what you will find is that an engine that produces more torque , generally needs to be revved less to achieve the same objective...

Thus having the ability to run taller gearing more comfortably,

Head flowing will also contribute to adding power and fuel efficiency...

Increasing the displacement and retaining the stock carb and cams IMO would be the way to go if gas mileage is foremost 

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 2

As far as fuel efficiency goes, what you will find is that an engine that produces more torque , generally needs to be revved less to achieve the same objective...

Thus having the ability to run taller gearing more comfortably,

Head flowing will also contribute to adding power and fuel efficiency...

Increasing the displacement and retaining the stock carb and cams IMO would be the way to go if gas mileage is foremost

Craigo,

Good info makes sense....

Ron W.