Sign in to follow this  

1997 HONDA CR250R IDLE ISSUE

Hello everyone I am a new member here but have lurking and gathering tons of helpful information over the past few weeks/month.

I am hoping someone can help me?

I recently got a 1997 Honda CR 250 R.  It was not running ( no spark ) So I put a cdi box and a stator in it, new plug, I cleaned out the carb changed the oil and coolant. It now fires up first kick. The problem I am having is it idles really high and the idle/choke knob does absolutely nothing. The bike runs really well but when I pull the clutch in the idle shoots way up. Anyone ever have this problem or heard of a fix.

When I had the carb out i cleaned out all the jets and replaced the float needle and bowl gasket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me, its either a air leak in your air boot/ air box or you pilot jet is clogged. Or you have a bad seal in the engine

Check you pilot jet and turn idle screw all the way out

Check your air screw, should be around 1-2 turns out from fully seated, maybe the air screw is turned out like 3 turns which will make the pilot lean, that or the pilot jet is too small if it doesn't drop idle when the air screw is screwed in.

Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions! yz144yammi you were right it was an air leak. There was no gasket between the carb and the engine it was metal on metal. I put in a gasket and it now runs perfectly!! Choke works and the idle screw actualy adjusts the idle up and down.