Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

First Post! Revived old 81' CR250....need Spark Arrestor now

First post here..... :thumbsup:

Decided to get my old bikes up and running again after several years of just sitting around in our barn.

First one, 1981 CR25.

Second one, 1980 KX80.

Both bikes were mine as a kid and I've kept them throughout the years.

I got manuals for both (ebay) and have cleaned them out pretty good.  Carb and fuel tank cleaned, oil changed, new plugs, new tires, new tubes, new coolant.  Air cleaners were another story.  Both were discontinued and after a little back and forth with dealer, did find an aftermarket Uni-Filter for the 250.  I found a NOS one for the KX80, but when I took it out of the package, the element pretty much fell apart and looked like cottage cheese....and to boot, $60 for it.  I guess that makes sense for a part that is 30+ years old! :rolleyes:  Anyways, no one had a Uni-filter for the 80 either (said it was discontinued).  I called up Uni directly...no problem, they had it for $18 and would ship it to me.  Sweet!~

Started them up and they both fired up after about 3 kicks!  Pretty sweet feeling!

Anyways, now trying to get the CR a little quieter and also make it legal to ride on our Forest Service roads.

Now, my Question:

I've looked at FMF but don't know which one to get.  I've contacted them but have not heard anything back and may just assume I have to go with a "universal one" and adapt it.  Is this my only option?!?  What I've found is these older bikes are starting to really get hard on finding OEM parts for them.  Found a lot of "no longer available" comments.

Here are the two as we were hosing them off for the first time.  My 3 daughters can't wait to try them out!

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

Edited by Ski-Me

Honda is NOTORIOUS for discontinuing parts and in reality you are going to have to search ebay or some vintage motocross forums to get parts.

It is unfortunate that you went to the time and expense of buying a 30 year old NOS air filter, foam just isn't going to last that long. That is why I buy new air filters and toss the old ones after 5 years or the first sign of breakdown. The water pump cover you have on the '81 CR is made of aluminum and will work on the 81/82/83 CR 250, plenty of people looking for those covers.

Repack your silencer to make it quieter, I believe that using a universal spark arrestor is the only was to go.

I would also suggest you change the fork fluid and change the fork seals while at it, fork fluid is contaminated. I can almost guarantee that the seals are going to leak after the first ride, same with the rear shock, 32 year old shock seals will leak, I wonder how dirty and contaminated the rear shock fluid is, bumper is probably dry rotted off and all the nitrogen is probably long gone. Better get that shock serviced if you plan on riding.

I would also suggest pulling the swingarm and greasing the swing arm bearing and also grease all the suspension linkage, pull the front steering stem and grease the steering stem bearings, they are dry also. Wheel bearing are also probably pretty dry, so greasing them would not be a bad idea.

Neat bikes, enjoy them.

Welcome to the site! I remember when the 81 CR's came out and how freaking futuristic they looked. I first guess for a spark arrestor would be to adapt some sort of universal one.  

Yea, I'm thinking that a universal arrestor may be my only option.  I'll see if FMF has any other thoughts. 

One guy mentioned to me that the kick starter and muffler are on the left side (which is unusual I guess).  Why did they do this?!?  I do remember when I first got it trying to start it on the opposite side and how wierd it was.  Didn't realize the chain and muffler were also on different sides than usual.

I did call the vendor on the KX80 filter and told him it was just cottage cheese and couldn't be used.  He said no problem and send it back for a refund.  Glad he understood and I'm no longer out $60. :thumbsup:

Appreciate the thoughts on shocks, seals and shock fluid.  Didn't think about that so I'll look into it too.  Thanks!

Edited by Ski-Me

Yea, I'm thinking that a universal arrestor may be my only option.  I'll see if FMF has any other thoughts. 

One guy mentioned to me that the kick starter and muffler are on the left side (which is unusual I guess).  Why did they do this?!?  I do remember when I first got it trying to start it on the opposite side and how wierd it was.  Didn't realize the chain and muffler were also on different sides than usual.

I did call the vendor on the KX80 filter and told him it was just cottage cheese and couldn't be used.  He said no problem and send it back for a refund.  Glad he understood and I'm no longer out $60. :thumbsup:

Appreciate the thoughts on shocks, seals and shock fluid.  Didn't think about that so I'll look into it too.  Thanks!

At that time Honda I believe was trying to mimic a "works type" racing bike. Many european bikes (Maico etc) had left side kick starters.

That what the internet and this site are for, giving tips and advice and help to others. I can't tell you how much I have learned just by reading what others have posted, there are some REALLY knowledgeable people here. I have learned the hard way about fluids and greasing components when bring a bike back to life.

That 1981 does look so futuristic and ahead of it's time, I still think they look great. Enjoy.

At that time Honda I believe was trying to mimic a "works type" racing bike. Many european bikes (Maico etc) had left side kick starters.

That what the internet and this site are for, giving tips and advice and help to others. I can't tell you how much I have learned just by reading what others have posted, there are some REALLY knowledgeable people here. I have learned the hard way about fluids and greasing components when bring a bike back to life.

That 1981 does look so futuristic and ahead of it's time, I still think they look great. Enjoy.

Great to hear about the forum.  I was just googling the CR250 and kept see the "thumpertalk" come up so I figured it was a decent source.  From the activity I see, definitely a lot of help here (thanks!)

I did get word back from FMF and as expected, they only recommended the "universal arrestor".

I went by our local shop and she recommended DG Performance as a possible source.  Sure enough, they offer one specifically for my bike.....but I don't know if it's forest service approved or not.  Also, I don't know how much quieter it may be from stock.  I have an email into them requesting some more specifics.

Anyways, not a bad price either ($79 on Amazon).

21-2214-1_1920px.jpg