Sign in to follow this  

What CRF150f models have kickstart?

I believe it has to be a 2005 model or below.

I still haven't figured out why Honda completely removed the kick start when they added e-start. Not a wise move.

• Like 1

02-05 only, but the gears can break if your not carful!

And you have to split the cases to replace them !!!

(I just replaced a set last weekend)

• Like 1

02-05 only, but the gears can break if your not careful!

And you have to split the cases to replace them !!!

(I just replaced a set last weekend)

I'm pretty sure an 02 CRF 150F would be a collectors item.   ; ^ )

Any particular reason you want kick start only. Like adnohguy said the kick start models tend to break the starter gears even with a stock engine, adding compression is like imminent failure. A good battery and a battery tender should make electric start reliable enough.

Tech25

Edited by Tech25

I'm pretty sure an 02 CRF 150F would be a collectors item. ; ^ )

Any particular reason you want kick start only. Like adnohguy said the kick start models tend to break the starter gears even with a stock engine, adding compression is like imminent failure. A good battery and a battery tender should make electric start reliable enough.

Tech25

Speaking of batteries...mine won't hold a charge but it appears to be the original so I just went ahead and bought a Shorai lithium battery for my '09.

I already have a batter tender Jr but everything I read says they really aren't necessary with lithium batteries since they hold a charge a ton longer than conventional acid batteries and even when it has discharged pretty low, there's enough juice to get the bike started.

Is this true? If I don't need a battery tender for the lithium battery then I'll put that cash towards something else for my new toy.

Any model that's 2005 or older is a kickstart model.  I have one of the first CRF150's released into California and it's a champ.  As for the kick starter gears, I guess that has happen to some.  I ran a 170cc hi-comp piston and it was fine.  I later bumped mine up to a 233cc, but I also asked Coeshow for heavy duty starter gears.  With that said, I don't believe I'll be having any issues.  I don't know if Coeshow is still selling them, but if he is, it's something to consider.

As for the 2005 or older being an old bike, let's be clear.  ALL of the CRF150F's are old bikes.  Even the 2013 model.  These are not new technology by any means.  They are like the XR50 or the CRF50.  It's basically the same bike and that's a 40 year old bike.  With that said, if you find a 2003 150F that's in decent shape, you'll be fine.