CRF250X No Tail Light

Bought a 2008 CRF250X and the tail light doesn't work as it should.  I tore off the rear panel on the right side of the bike and found that there's a white (if I recall correctly) wire that is just dangling in there.  I stuck it into the empty hole in the harness/plug and the tail light lit up.  It's always on though.

I've read that this could be the ICM (ignition control module?).  Is this correct?  Anything else it could be?

Thanks!

I've read that this could be the ICM (ignition control module?).  Is this correct?  Anything else it could be?

Possibly.   The tail light is always connected to the + side and the ICM controls the ground side.

So it's either the ICM or a short to ground after the tail light.

Wiring diagram can be found on page 170 of the owners manual here:

http://owners.honda.com/assets/OWNERLINK/model/own_man/powersports/2007/2007_CRF250x.pdf

Manual is for '07, but the '08 is no different.

Jim.

2008 or newer electical Schem.  250x.jpg

See if this helps.

Edited by Blind Stroker

I have a 2006 x and my tail light is always on. I don't believe it is designed in the stock form as a brake light.

Funny, I took it to mean that it was "always on" even with the engine not runing.

Yes, it is not a brake light and it will always be on whenever the headlight is on, which should only be when the engine is running.

Jim.

Funny, I took it to mean that it was "always on" even with the engine not runing.

Yes, it is not a brake light and it will always be on whenever the headlight is on, which should only be when the engine is running.

Jim.

This is what I mean.  When I connect the wire, the light is always on, even when the bike is off.

This is what I mean.  When I connect the wire, the light is always on, even when the bike is off.

OK, so now that were all on the same page, it seems you either have a short or someone did some creative wiring (non-standard).

Double check the wiring first and make sure the hole you plugged the wire into is really where it's supposed to go.

If so, then you need to look for a short on the ground side. Remember that the + side for the tailight is always hot, so what your looking for is a path to ground either through the wiring or it is the ICM.

Jim.