Sign in to follow this  

IS THE CR125 REALLY THAT BAD?

so within the next month im going to buy a dirtbike, i currently ride my friends drz125 and now im hooked ive been doing alot of research and i decided to get a 125 2 stroke, i will mostly be doing track and trail riding, im 160 pounds, i came across a 03 yz125 in nice condition not too many mods stock pipe v force reeds some graphics on it factory connection recent top end rebuild, and a 02 cr125r i really like the look of the cr125 its got too many mods to list, but it still has the stock bore, recent top end build etc.. new plastic graphics tires skid plate, my questions is, is the cr really that bad because everyone says its the worst 125 and dont get it, and now im stuck, i want the honda but i also want a strong motor that pulls all throughout the power band, please reply 

so within the next month im going to buy a dirtbike, i currently ride my friends drz125 and now im hooked ive been doing alot of research and i decided to get a 125 2 stroke, i will mostly be doing track and trail riding, im 160 pounds, i came across a 03 yz125 in nice condition not too many mods stock pipe v force reeds some graphics on it factory connection recent top end rebuild, and a 02 cr125r i really like the look of the cr125 its got too many mods to list, but it still has the stock bore, recent top end build etc.. new plastic graphics tires skid plate, my questions is, is the cr really that bad because everyone says its the worst 125 and dont get it, and now im stuck, i want the honda but i also want a strong motor that pulls all throughout the power band, please repl

I'd buy the honda. I love honda reliability and excellent handling.. and I like red. I would guess the yz might be a better motor but I don't know by how much. ..plus I like red... and you said this cr has some goodies. If you want.. later you can put on a big bore. ..but really who cares right now. You care coming off a drz125. That's a big step up as it is. I've been tempted to get a 125 too. I'd get a cr 125 too but really it would be more about the shape of the bike. I'd get a kx, yz, rm or cr... check. I forgot which year but some cr's come with 6 speed. That would be better ..but not a deal breaker. The cr isn't that bad. .. maybe if you were racing you'd have to have the bike with the best edge but I've ridden with guys that fly on a cr 125 riding trails. The bikes handle real well and have plenty enough power... plus they do look good.  I have a couple of friends that have both 2 and 4 stroke trail bikes.. 250/300 and 450's. They are vet riders and one has a totally tricked out kx125 and the other got a yz 125 because they just wanted to ride 125's. They work great.  Like I said before I think the shape of the bike is more important so the cr sounds great. I also have another friend that rode an 01' 125 cr and he was flying on that thing. I'd even get one that was like that one too seeing how he rode. ..plus I have an 01 250 so I could share parts I already have.

I just took the first random 02 cr 125 vid search and came with this..  I don't know about you but this looks pretty radical and plenty enough power... especially coming off a drz125.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6WlKylUzWA

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Cr 125 is probably the best handling 125 you can buy and it has really good suspension which can be swapped for the 250s showa.  I would just pick the honda for the wide range of parts, reliability and making a bike faster is not that hard ie porting, big bore, pipe, reeds, stroking. Its a great bike and I would recommend it.  The 03 yamaha is not all that great compared to the honda.. The yamaha that everybody raves about is the 06 on.  Really if honda made a 125 again it would blow the yamaha out of the water again.

so within the next month im going to buy a dirtbike, i currently ride my friends drz125 and now im hooked ive been doing alot of research and i decided to get a 125 2 stroke, i will mostly be doing track and trail riding, im 160 pounds, i came across a 03 yz125 in nice condition not too many mods stock pipe v force reeds some graphics on it factory connection recent top end rebuild, and a 02 cr125r i really like the look of the cr125 its got too many mods to list, but it still has the stock bore, recent top end build etc.. new plastic graphics tires skid plate, my questions is, is the cr really that bad because everyone says its the worst 125 and dont get it, and now im stuck, i want the honda but i also want a strong motor that pulls all throughout the power band, please reply 

Given the bike is heavily modified what everyone says about the stock CR125 is largely irrelevant. The only one who can determine if this is the right bike for you is you. Go check it out and take it for a test ride. If you end up buying it and find it not to your liking you can modify it to suit your tastes or sell it and buy something else.

I just picked up the 04 cr125 which is supposed to have a horrible motor but I didn't think it was bad! I actually had the most fun on that bike then I ever had riding, like said before the handling and suspension is great, it's also really light. Overall I think it's a great bike

alright thanks guys, do you know if the cr will fit a taller rider comfortably i know the yz is pretty big but i dont know about the cr

alright thanks guys, do you know if the cr will fit a taller rider comfortably i know the yz is pretty big but i dont know about the cr

The cr will fit you fine. It's the same size as the 250. You aren't 6'9" or anything are you?

Travis Preston is like 6'3" or something and it hasn't held him back on a cr 125.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew5Y-3xVPh8

ok great and im actually 6 3 on the dot so thats good to hear the guy wanted 2000 for the 02 cr125 and i got him downed to 1700 is that a good price?

• Like 1

I have an 01 cr125, they are very small bikes. I'm 6'1" and I wish it was taller and wider, but it still works. I disagree with one of the statements above from my own personal experience, I think the 00-03 suspension is pretty bad, very stiff. I have had mine serviced recently too, so its not because of worn parts. The motors for the 00-03 are nothing to brag about either, poor bottom, poor midrange, pretty decent top. After spending more money than the bikes worth and forcing more air into the motor, it pulls pretty good up top. Takes a good rider thats in good physical shape to ride it constantly like that, I sure can't do it. I'm switching to an 06+ Yz125 next year.

i hear the yz is slightly better then the cr but its not by a whole margin

Edited by dirtbikerboy

dan: so would you recommend the yz over the cr because i was almost dead set on the cr but you said you had personal experience and now im stumped again im only to race c class races nothing big and im in good physical shape. and thank you dirtbikerboy for the reply

It still is just up to you to make up your own mind. Both are good with maybe the yz faster but really you are a c. You will have yz's and cr's and kx's etc with big bore kits that will be faster and all the 4 strokes will be faster. I'm not thinking that the power is that big a deal. No matter what it's a huge power increase over your drz125 . It just still comes down to picking a bike and going with it. You will be going through a big learning curve with whatever 125 you pick.  

Here's cr and yz  vids for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYiCWoDM7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_ov8Sek2b4

dan: so would you recommend the yz over the cr because i was almost dead set on the cr but you said you had personal experience and now im stumped again im only to race c class races nothing big and im in good physical shape. and thank you dirtbikerboy for the reply

For motocross I think your better off with the yz, the CR really only likes to be ridden on the top, which is difficult to do around the track for 4-5 laps and the suspension doesn't like to work as well when your wringing the bikes neck. I think the YZ will have a slightly better bottom and better midrange which will make life a lot easier for you. I have spent more money on my bike than its worth and I still am not satisfied with it and I will be switching to a YZ.

But at the same time, at our riding level we can't use these bikes to the full potential, so any bike will suffice. But I think its important at the beginning stage to be in control, which is hard to do on poor suspension and riding the bike at wide open throttle always. Thats the only part of the throttle the CR makes power.

The cr has showa suspension and it's got a fmf fatty for more bottom end my gut is telling me to get the cr so I'm going to with my gut feeling

i forgot to mention in my original statement that another bike i was looking at was a 03 kx125 great condition many aftermarket parts fatty suspension etc.. not as clean and good looking as the cr but another option, how good are the kxs compared to the crs?

i forgot to mention in my original statement that another bike i was looking at was a 03 kx125 great condition many aftermarket parts fatty suspension etc.. not as clean and good looking as the cr but another option, how good are the kxs compared to the crs?

Maybe it's just how thin you want to slice for the differences... especially when it's a bunch of years later and each bike has some mods plus you can just look up in the TT archives for what guys have done to modify their bikes to their liking. You can look at this old shootout for some info... They all are good.. just have to set up.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/499/Motorcycle-Article/2003-125-MX-Shootout.aspx

but even most of this doesn't matter as all the bikes you have mentioned have a bunch of mods on the bikes as it is. It will be up to you to set up whatever bike you choose to your weight and riding style and type of terrain you are going to ride on.  I bought these books and I think it would help you. I didnt need them but there's some great information and excellent tips.  I like these books alot.  I still go back to these books and find great mods for my bikes.  Maybe try checking your library to see if you can just borrow it since that would be for free ...or look for used to not spend as much money but full price you will still be super happy.   Actually check out any of these 2. There is also specific information for specific bikes and years . As an example for my 01 cr 250 he notes (in the offroad performance book) that the stock pistons are prone to having piston skirts cracking and breaking off. It was great info for me as I changed mine out to a wiseco piston and averted that problem. I have seen other cr's have this happen to their bikes and it's ugly. I'm just giving you an example of the benefit of the books. Beside a clymers manual for your particular bike I would say these are guaranty books that you will be happy to have. All you have to do is read it and it is easy to understand and you'll want to read more because you'll be learning how to do it right.

http://www.amazon.com/Motocross-Off-Road-Performance-Handbook-Motorbooks/dp/0760319758/ref=la_B001ITXJPU_1_3/184-1600405-7386256?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380177833&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Motocross-Off-Road-Motorcycle-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760335966

..also please don't take all of what the magazine says as bible.. It's just a good reference point to read...and you can get lots more information from TT threads for each bike if you want to look. Hey it's free. You can't go wrong with that.

A 2-stoke on trails....?  Not a trail bike my friend.  Great bike for track use though!

:bonk:

The majority of dirt bikes in Hawaii in the trails are 2 strokes. ..and a majority of the 2 strokes are converted mx bikes. .. I'm pretty sure it's like that in a lot of places all over the world...not everywhere but a lot of places.

Here's some vids of around where I live. Watch and check out how many 2 strokes there are compared to 4 strokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r4q4iDEhkc&list=PLD42805CB0BACC59B