Sign in to follow this  

California Learning Dirtbike Maintenance

My son has been riding for 7 years now, and we've been through a series of bikes ... now riding a YZ250F.  I've learned more and more about basic maintenance (oil, coolant, filters, brakes, etc.) over those years, but would hate to add up all the money I've spent having someone else do the engine work.  

I'd love to learn from someone/something other than youtube videos.

Is there any place, or any one in the Bay Area, that teaches a course on dirt bike maintenance?  Or does anyone know of anybody who is interested in teaching ... would be great for me, and my son, to learn to do more and more ourselves.

Thx.

I don't get it ... Was there something you couldn't figure out from YouTube vids? Not being a smartass. Just what else could you need?

• Like 1

My son has been riding for 7 years now, and we've been through a series of bikes ... now riding a YZ250F.  I've learned more and more about basic maintenance (oil, coolant, filters, brakes, etc.) over those years, but would hate to add up all the money I've spent having someone else do the engine work.  

I'd love to learn from someone/something other than youtube videos.

Is there any place, or any one in the Bay Area, that teaches a course on dirt bike maintenance?  Or does anyone know of anybody who is interested in teaching ... would be great for me, and my son, to learn to do more and more ourselves.

Thx.

A service manual and a lot of time is the best teacher. Along with support from here or other places.

Service beyond basic maintenance is far to specialized for a general class...

All you really need to do is change the piston, rings, timing chain and gaskets on a YZ. Not much else will ever fail.

• Like 1

Back when I was learning how to work on bikes I never had any Youtube videos and I was on my own.  I learned by doing.  If it's fear of doing something wrong holding you back, I can tell you 100% for sure that at times you will do the wrong thing.  It will even cost you.  Those are called learning experiences. 

The one trait you really can't do without is patience.  Doing rash things usually causes problems.  Guess how I know.

• Like 3

Sold the thumpers and got two strokes so i could do my own wrenching. Can't afford the bike shop anymore.

Sold the thumpers and got two strokes so i could do my own wrenching. Can't afford the bike shop anymore.

You are still going to have to learn how to set/stagger rings, take tolerance measurements, replace right side crank seals, hone a cylinder, check for clutch free play, etc etc.

Two strokes have less parts, and they wear out much faster.

I agree with most of the above comments, but if you still want to learn from someone, Bernal Racing is planning a clinic you might like.  I don't know him or his shop, but a couple of friends recommend him.  He is in Livermore and on Facebook - phone  (925) 606-0575