Sign in to follow this  

Tips, to force me to use the rear break!

As i stated before, i come from street riding where the use of a rear brake counts as little as 10-15% of the total stoping power, needless to say i dont use it that much... (only in emergency situations), after reading a couple of riding tips articles i found myself thinking im going to kill myself in this.... Apparently the use of the rear brake is fairly common, practicing around the backyard  i sometimes forget that is there.... I'll be honest i once rode my gsxr 150miles without a rear brake on a roadtrip and once it started raining i just adjusted the lever to avoid locking the front...

Any suggestions?

Take the front brake lever off! You'll learn real quick.  Honestly I am a faster B rider and I still only use the rear brake for maybe %30 of braking,I use it more for changing derection

• Like 5

Take the front brake lever off! You'll learn real quick.  Honestly I am a faster B rider and I still only use the rear brake for maybe %30 of braking,I use it more for changing derection

Thats waht i need it to read.... thanks

Front brake for 80% of your slowing down power , rear brake is more for "steering" the rear wheel through tighter turns, or dragging off of steep drop off ruts or dragging down hill through nasty braking bumps where front braking could toss you over the bars. When I attended the Tony D. MX school, the first exercise is a WOT straightaway start into the first turn only using the front brake only. 

Practice rear brake sliding with a mountain bike or bmx. Helps a lot

Cant wait to relive my childhood on dirt bike!!!  :goofy:

4VTIqWxvhYE.gif

• Like 2

I catch myself sometimes not even using the front brake and im a B class rider. I have a friend whos a faster A rider that says he only uses the front brake on starts. But ive ridden a moto without a back brake before, my lever fell off due to a mid race collision. Just used my front brake.

There's a replacement brake spring that installs under the master cylinder which might make it easier for you to modulate the rear brake.

Just rotating the front lever up or down so you cant reach it would be good practice.

As stated the rear brake is used a lot more when you're learning to keep yourself in a comfort zone - as you get faster and are looking for more speed instead of control it tends to be used to 'set' the bike - whether into a turn or thru a bumpy area.

I went from road racing to mt bike racing to dirt bikes.   The rear brake is the hardest control to get comfortable with - don't do what I did - I just got a Rekluse and a left hand rear brake and never learned how to ride correctly.

Thanks for the warning was already checking the specs of a left hand brake

I catch myself sometimes not even using the front brake and im a B class rider. I have a friend whos a faster A rider that says he only uses the front brake on starts. But ive ridden a moto without a back brake before, my lever fell off due to a mid race collision. Just used my front brake.

I have serious doubts that a fast A rider never uses the front brake. 

I've ridden with a broken front brake lever. Absolutely horrific.

I've ridden with a mangled / inoperable rear brake. Annoying, but perfectly doable.

As said, the rear is mostly used to set the bike up for different situations. Unless you are riding super soft sand then the front brake is all the stopping power.

There's a replacement brake spring that installs under the master cylinder which might make it easier for you to modulate the rear brake.

Just rotating the front lever up or down so you cant reach it would be good practice.

As stated the rear brake is used a lot more when you're learning to keep yourself in a comfort zone - as you get faster and are looking for more speed instead of control it tends to be used to 'set' the bike - whether into a turn or thru a bumpy area.

I went from road racing to mt bike racing to dirt bikes.   The rear brake is the hardest control to get comfortable with - don't do what I did - I just got a Rekluse and a left hand rear brake and never learned how to ride correctly.

Left hand rear brake for the win!  I still dream about one day having one since that first time I tried it on yours.

• Like 1

Today i took a ride ,really pushing it (yeah right!!) the bike felt awesome and i was in 3rd and pinned it the front wheel came up like never before, when i came down, i came down with the rear locked, maybe the reason i dont feel comfortable with the rear brake is because its too high, i find myself dragging the rear when riding... im going t lower the lever aand see how it goes.

You need both.

Go faster entering into wooped out braking bumps leading into turns so that front brake only is not enough to pull up.

Or ride a fast straight on a sand track, then grab a handful of front brake only and see what happens at the corner at the end.

Ride on a wet, greasy, muddy track, using only the front brake and do a few face plants and the rear brake is going to sound like a better idea.

• Like 1

Believe what you like but thats how he rides ive even watched him many times go into corners and never touch the front brake.

I come from quad world, so I have a bad habit of ONLY using the rear brake. Works great for turns and really soft terrain.

Idk why, but grabbing front brake on the right side just feels super extremely wrong. Probably because I rode mountain bikes for a long time before dirtbikes.

The rear brake will help you slide the back around and set up for the corner. Also the rear brake is crucial when the front end comes up way too high and you need to pull it down