Sign in to follow this  

coolant Engine Problem!

I have a 2005 crf450x and i was putting new zipty coolant in it and i put it in the top of the radiator instead of the coolant reserve tank at the bottom of the engine. I did this not realizing it was there. I rode the bike two miles and i wiped out on a log and i started the bike with the compression release pulled it and it started but then made a knocking noise and seized up. I was wondering if it was caused because of the coolant in the wrong spot or if it is just my motor and what could have happened. My kickstarter wont move and my oil is almost new and is in spec. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you drain the old coolant?

How?

How much coolant did you install?

Did you run the motor while filling up the radiator?

You dont' have a compression release, that is the hot start lever for the carb.

Hard to say what is wrong with such a small amount of info.

You probably did not add enough coolant and siezed the piston. You can save it without too much hassle.

YOU NEED A SERVICE MANUAL

yes we drained the old coolant by taking out the bolt at the bottom of the water pump on the right side of the bike.we filled the radiator till it was full, it took a little less than half a gallon, we didnt run it while pouring in the coolant in to the radiator cap but did after we filled it up. then toped it off again. and i did it in kind of a hurry also and thats is my dump fault :banghead: so i didnt look at my manual. and the last few bikes i put coolant in which where a yamaha yz450f 2003 and a 2007 rmz450 i filled at the radiator the same way i did my honda. and they didnt have this problem...

I've found that an air lock will occur in the crossover tube between the right and left radiator.

While running bike with cap off usually will purge the system of air an additional step of leaning bike hard to left then right a couple times while filling does a good job. Regardless of procedure run the bike initially to make sure it's full. With cap off!!

I've found that an air lock will occur in the crossover tube between the right and left radiator.

While running bike with cap off usually will purge the system of air an additional step of leaning bike hard to left then right a couple times while filling does a good job. Regardless of procedure run the bike initially to make sure it's full. With cap off!!

Hey yeah, you are right on the X that cross over is long and horizontal.....with the stock hoses.

I usually squueze the hoses a couple of times when filling to make sure everything moves.

<<it took a little less than half a gallon>>

That sure sounds like enough...but it does sound like it over heated.

Jim.

Don't forget he "wiped out on a log". So the bike was potentially down on it's side still running. Maybe he starved the engine of oil if it was running on it's side for too long. Or if it was stalled maybe he flooded the cylinder with gas. Who knows as he did not really give us much information.

He's stating his kick starter will not move. I'd recommend pulling the spark plug, then trying to kick start it again, or putting it in gear and see if the back tire will roll to turn the motor over. If the rear tire is seized, he has bigger problems inside the motor.

Don't forget he "wiped out on a log". So the bike was potentially down on it's side still running. Maybe he starved the engine of oil if it was running on it's side for too long. Or if it was stalled maybe he flooded the cylinder with gas. Who knows as he did not really give us much information.

He's stating his kick starter will not move. I'd recommend pulling the spark plug, then trying to kick start it again, or putting it in gear and see if the back tire will roll to turn the motor over. If the rear tire is seized, he has bigger problems inside the motor.

Excellent point.  There's not much oil in there and if it was upside down, it could have starved pretty quick.

Jim.

I usually squueze the hoses a couple of times when filling to make sure everything moves.

Oh yeah, I always stroke my hose, more than a few times, then I just pour it in. :devil: