Sign in to follow this  

An XR is like...

...a nuclear reactor, it gets hot quickly and takes a week to cool down.

Any other good comparisons?

...a nuclear reactor, it gets hot quickly and takes a week to cool down.

Any other good comparisons?

It is because you are taking the engine temp from the hottest place that is also the place that takes the longest to cool down. if you took oil temp instead of head temp at the plug, you would see it takes a long time to heat up and a short time to cool down......someday feel the sidecase whilst it is heating up, takes forever to get hot and do the same 5 minutes after you tunr off the bike, it is COLD after about 5~10 minutes.

If you want to try a hot running bike,nothing i've ridden compares to a tt/xt500 yamaha for hot temps. After you shut it off,You can hear the engine make scary noises as it cools,but will start again with no problems for some reason.

Try riding an XR600R in the desert when the temp is over 100degrees.....comparatively the 400 is a cold blooded baby.

It is because you are taking the engine temp from the hottest place that is also the place that takes the longest to cool down. if you took oil temp instead of head temp at the plug, you would see it takes a long time to heat up and a short time to cool down......someday feel the sidecase whilst it is heating up, takes forever to get hot and do the same 5 minutes after you tunr off the bike, it is COLD after about 5~10 minutes.

I know what you are saying Kevin, but the head on my water cooled bikes doesn't ever hit 300 degrees, i'd have coolant all over my legs.

Plus, melted pants don't lie 

I know what you are saying Kevin, but the head on my water cooled bikes doesn't ever hit 300 degrees, i'd have coolant all over my legs.

Plus, melted pants don't lie 

If yours is THAT hot, then your timing is way off. Too advanced or something in the jetting is also wrong! Too lean!

If yours is THAT hot, then your timing is way off. Too advanced or something in the jetting is also wrong! Too lean!

It isn't that hot right now, the richer jetting cooled it down to 230F tops, with the stock CA jetting from the PO I measured 300F on the head with an infrared thermometer.....he ran it like that for 8 years!

It isn't that hot right now, the richer jetting cooled it down to 230F tops, with the stock CA jetting from the PO I measured 300F on the head with an infrared thermometer.....he ran it like that for 8 years!

Yeah, cali jetting sicks as bad as Cali politics!

....a good woman. Likes to be ridden hard and put away wet, doesn't talk back, low maintenance, turns on with minimal foreplay, small but ample headlights, don't need to find a "button" to turn her on, and she will stand by your side till death do you part.

If only I could get her to make me breakfast! 

• Like 4