My 97 XR 600R

Hello Thumper Fans. :)

New guy here with a 97 XR 600R I bought recently. Its titled and street legal here in Colorado. I am starting this thread to introduce myself and share
pictures of my XR.I also hope to make some new friends and learn a bunch more about these amazing XR,s! I have been lurking here daily for a while and finally have my bike.

Brian.

:cheers:

I am a family man and had to save for about 6 months to get the cash together for this. I had been watching XR600s come and go on Craigs list, paying attention to condition and the prices they went for.
My wife and daughters surprised me with the last couple hundred dollars I needed to reach the goal I had in mind.
I hit Craigs list hard and after talking to several people selling titled XR600R's I pick the one I liked best and went to look at it. I am so excited driving there, I keep reminding myself how important it is to make the right decision,don't hop on the first one if anything does not feel right.

So after a quick adrenalin pumping spin up and down his street I fell in love.....with the first one I looked at. He wouldn't budge on price because I was the first one to come look at it so I gave him his asking price, $1500. I didn't want to go home without it.

Here it is.

XR6006_zps4e115ca5.jpg

XR6002_zpsc290cc12.jpg

As soon as I get home and get if off the trailer I fire it up, grab my helmet and start riding it up and down the dirt road behind my house.
Being the owner of the bike now I felt more comfortable getting a bit crazy with it and noticed it had a stumble/bog in 3rd and 4th gear I hadn't experienced while carefully riding it on the busy city street in front of the sellers house. I did take a quick peek at the air filter before buying it and knew it was dirty but it wasn't bright enough to see it very well. I park it in the garage and take out the air filter and see its a foam washable one,incredibly dirty and beyond saving.

I'm starting to think I might have a carb problem but decide to start with the air filter before getting too worried.

While working on it I also see I failed to realize the tail light does not work.The brake light works so hopefully its just a bulb. I take out the bulb,hoping to find an 1157 because I have some but no. Its a dual filament bulb with one filament obviously blown but about half the size of an 1157. At least
it has numbers on it.

I find the bulb online and order a uni filter at the same time. While waiting for the parts to show up I clean up and keep checking out the bike. I learn about the airbox snorkel while reading here and take my seat off to see if its there or not. As expected the snorkel is already gone
but I see something else that looks like a problem problem while under there.

Do you see it?

XR6004_zps797f822c.jpg

XR6003_zpsea375356.jpg

The tail light wires are being pinched between the seat and frame. It looks to me like whoever wired the brake lights in while making this bike street legal ran them over the frame rather than under allowing the seat to pinch and damage them, probably the reason for the blown tail light.

I remove the wiring cover and see this is indeed a problem.

XRbadwire_zpsa5424fad.jpg

I have everything I need to fix this in my tool box so I get to work. I cut out the bad pieces, solder the wires back together and seal them with heat shrink tubing then cover them with some protective covers that are meant to protect wires inside fluorescent shop lights.

XRwirerepaired_zps5a0d3783.jpg

I received and installed the new bulb yesterday, problem solved.

Then the air filter. I installed it and it made a huge difference. I went out for a test ride, got it into 5th gear, ran great! No more bog at all at any speed!

XRdirtyfilter_zps1fb50c4c.jpg

Last couple things I need before its road ready.

Oil and filter.

Horn. It must have had one at some point to get plates but no sign of it now.

Rear tire. It has a huge Terraflex 140/80/18 on it now. I am going to be riding both street and trail but I want something closer to stock size and safer for the pavement that's not completely useless in the dirt.

Future upgrades I will be looking into as I can afford them.

Bigger foot pegs. These seem small,size 13 boots.

More powerful stator.

Brighter headlight.

Front Sprocket. The back sprocket was recently replaced but the front looks pretty old and is held on with a c clip. Any suggestions on a good one, preferably something with bolts rather than the clip?

A few more pictures.

XR6005_zps8d2aaea2.jpg

My truck is too tall to fit in the garage so lots of room for the XR.

XR6001_zpsa1f58db8.jpg

97XR600R3_zps50bce611.jpg

He cleaned up the outside real nice.  ;)  

I wouldn't have left that there for 1500 either.  Nice looking bike.   :ride:

That seems like a smoking deal on that bike.  It's clean.  I'm new to the forum and just picked mine up last night.  I gave $1100 for it, and the engine has been gone through.  I think that I have a bad ground as all things electronic will come off/turn on at the same time......whenever they feel like it.  Where in Colorado are you?  I'm in Berthoud which is just south of Loveland/Ft. Collins.

Sorry for the grainy shot, but the light was not good this morning.

xr600r_zpsff2ca9fc.jpg

Hey thanks for the reply's. 

I was worried I over payed when I though I had carb problems but I'm feeling better now that it runs so good. Not a drop of oil anywhere on it either, no leaks at all.

Hi rugger327  That's a pretty nice looking bike you got there too. What year is it? It looks a lot like mine other than the aftermarket stuff.

I am just 30 miles from you in Ft Lupton. Neat we both just got our bikes. I hope you find your electrical problem. Can you just add a new ground? 

Are you going to be riding yours on the street?

Yeah, that seems to be a good deal for $1500. That back tire is way to big imo. Try a michelin ac10 110/100-18 with 20 psi in it. Thats all i run for hard charging in the woods and works well on the road. They wear out fast however, but they do not cost a lot. I believe the stock rear size on that xr600r is indeed a 110/100-18. Those ac10's really grip in the dirt.

Idk but I have a feeling. Because the old one looked good, dirty but good from the pic.

You do know to oil the air filter right? !!!

Hi Thumper

Thanks for the tire recommendation.

Funny thing is I have been researching this for the last couple days and have already decided on the exact tire you are suggesting. I have the AC10 110/100/18 in my amazon wishlist for a pretty good price I am going to order.

The current tire is definitely too big, It has worn a hole in the black chain cover between the tire and chain. I don't know why the last guy thought this was a good idea.

Hi SAthump.

Yes, I know that foam filters need oil but thanks for making sure. I bought the uni foam filter service kit with the oil and cleaner sprays. I had not oiled it yet in the picture.

I will be paying attention to how it runs but I still think the old filter was the problem. The tail light wiring and the filter are all I changed and it runs great now.

Although, there may be more to the air filter problem than just being really dirty. I think the old filter might have been from a 650. I saw another thread today where someone was asking about a 600R filter fitting in one of the 650 models. Someone mentioned the only difference is the cage inside the 650 filter. The filter that came out of my 600 had the wire cage in it.  I don't know for sure they wont interchange but putting the new filter in sure made my bogging disappear.

Pic of other side of old filter.

oldairfilter_zps441fdaa8.jpg

Edited by B.Mauser

Nice looking bike,,Surely is a monster of a rear tire,.Possibly fit that to a Terex scraper .Yep that filter was super dirty..Must have been gasping for breath with the thing in that state of filthosity..

Edited by Horri

Hi Horri, Thanks for stopping by!

I have enjoyed many helpful post's from you as I lurked here in the past. :thumbsup:

Welcome!

I paid about the same amount for mine a 93' with a street legal title but it was not as cosmetically clean as yours so I say you do well with your purchase

Welcome!

I paid about the same amount for mine a 93' with a street legal title but it was not as cosmetically clean as yours so I say you do well with your purchase

No kidding.  That price is great for a street-able bike with what appears to only be minor issues.  I bought a 91 for about $800, but have dumped about 2 grand in to it doing a restore.  I think you are a lot better off than i ever will be.

Now get out and ride!!!

1500 sound like a steal, great job and welcome :)

I bought this plated XR6 for 1000 almost 2 years ago and it needed basically everything.

IMGP2014.jpg

Here she is all rebuilt after about 6 months:

IMGP3552.jpg

I have had great luck with the small baja designs 8 AA battery and a regulator/rectifier. The stock stator then charges the 12v battery through the reg/rec and  I ran 12 volts up to the headlight through a couple toggle switches for the head/taillight. It powers a 55/60 watt bulb in a baja designs headlight. Its worked flawlessly for a year now.

A stator upgrade might be cheaper than all this stuff but the XR headlight needs to be replaced anyway either way you look at it.

Best of luck! Hope you have a great ride!

Edited by noah240t

Selztoad. Go Big Red,  Thanks for the welcome and the comments. I cant wait to get my plates and go for some longer rides.

Bbbraaap_zpsce2c8d6e.jpg

Hi noah240t. Thanks for the welcome and the information. Your bike looks great!  Very inspirational. :)

I like the silver metal cover on the frame behind the kick start you found for it. I want to find those too.   Very interesting info about the battery and rectifier also, I'm going to look into that.

Hi Thumper

Thanks for the tire recommendation.

Funny thing is I have been researching this for the last couple days and have already decided on the exact tire you are suggesting. I have the AC10 110/100/18 in my amazon wishlist for a pretty good price I am going to order.

The current tire is definitely too big, It has worn a hole in the black chain cover between the tire and chain. I don't know why the last guy thought this was a good idea.

just take it easy on the pavement for the first 10-20 miles to break them in a little. Im sure you will like them. They grip like crazy off road. You can push your pig hard without fear.