Sign in to follow this  

Trailtech Vapor help

Hey guys,

I got 17 inch wheels for the drz a few months back, and have been putting up with the stock E speedo not being accurate on account of the different size, so i ordered a new speedo

I got my trailtech in the mail today. In regards to hooking the power up to the unit, can i take the old power cables the was used on the stock unit and use that for the trailtech? the trailtech has only 2 wires for power, the stock unit has 3,

Red Black and Orange

Which of these two do i need for the trailtech? Do i need all three? If so how?

I have the aussie model E (apparently similar to the overseas "s" model) if that changes things.

Any help appreciated!

I'll add photos shortly

cheers, Josh

You can use red and black or orange and black.  Red is hot all the time but the Trailtech unit will turn itself off.  Orange is switched off with the key.  The internal power of the TrailTech will keep it on until it times out.  So my vote is to use red and black.

The original instrument had "keep alive" power from the red and turned on the display when the key switch put power on the orange wire.

so red to red black to black then? and all I need to do is turn the key and it should come to life?

so red to red black to black then? and all I need to do is turn the key and it should come to life?

Yes red goes to red, black goes to black. Red and orange are both +12 V, black is 0 V. Orange is turned on by the key while red is directly connected to the battery.

Black is the ground wire 12 volts negative. Red is 12 volts positive constant hot. Orange is 12 volts positive switched on by the key. The Vapor will stay lit for only 20 minutes unless you are moving and the speedo sensor trips and signals the unit. Then the Vapor light will stay on.

Do I want it always connected, or is it better to use the orange so the key turns it on? I cant see a benefit in having it on without the ignistion on, but maybe i am missing something?

the temp screw and the speedo are easy, no idea where to start with the tach though :/ anyone seen any instructionals on where to start/ how to go about it.

thanks for the help Zeeno Jim and Noble, much appreciated

Well, now that I have finished my install and have decided that the Vapor is the best thing ever created, ever, I feel competent answering your questions.

Have you looked at the installation instruction documents that came with your Vapor?  After asking my questions here, I found those docs and they are very helpful.  They answer all of your questions.

The Vapor may not be the best thing ever, but it may be the best thing for the least amount of money that I've ever bought for my DRZ, and I've bought and installed a shitload of stuff for my DRZ.

Actually, Trail Tech says that the power wiring is polarity independent, so theoretically you can wire red to black.  That just bugged me too much, so I wired it red to red and black to black.

The display comes to life when any one of three things happens:

You push a button on the Vapor.

The wheel sensor sees the magnet go by.

The tachometer sees ignition pulses.

Do I want it always connected, or is it better to use the orange so the key turns it on? I cant see a benefit in having it on without the ignistion on, but maybe i am missing something?

the temp screw and the speedo are easy, no idea where to start with the tach though :/ anyone seen any instructionals on where to start/ how to go about it.

thanks for the help Zeeno Jim and Noble, much appreciated

There has been posts of problems (system occasionally resetting) when using the switched power lead.  Use the always on power lead.

Connect the tach input signal wire to the little quick disconnect connector at the ignition coil primary.  This is mounted on the left side of your frame upper spar.  The connector is covered with a white plastic insulator on my DRZ that will open up if you are careful.  Slide the Vapor tach signal wire inside the plastic cap and solder it to the metal of the quick disconnect connector.  Close the plastic cover back in place and plug it back onto the coil.

If you didn't get the instruction docs with your Vapor, they are available as .pdf files from Trail Tech web site. 

J.

• Like 1

Good timing for me on this thread, just pulled my new Vapor out'a the box yesterday to check placement on my new dash shelf. Pics to follow.

+1 to the above. I was lazy and did not mention the other ways the Vapor trips its light on. Sorry!!! :(

Well, now that I have finished my install and have decided that the Vapor is the best thing ever created, ever, ...

Dang I've been avoiding reading threads like this cuz I knew it'd make me want a Vapor. Now I gotta put it on my Christmas list!