Sign in to follow this  

TTR 225 Clutch Adjustment?

Just bought a 2004 TTR 225 to ride the trails with my son. Pretty excited to give this 2-wheel thing a try!

Is there a clutch plate adjustment like most bikes, either in the case or outside if the case? I know about the one one the bars...just wondering if I have to open the case to adjust the plates.

Thanks

Pat

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380112593.840192.jpg

I think your right. I just looked at it again and didn't see any adjustment points. I think I might be out of adjustment or I have warped plates.

With the motor off, shifter in gear, and the clutch pulled in I seam to have a little drag.

• Like 1

On my 230 it has adjustment nuts on the clutch cable itself in front of the handlebars, you can loosen those and turn them toward each other to relax the actuator arm more giving you more clutch range of adjustment.

Old thread reply.....yes

Why? My answer would have helped myself several weeks ago. May help someone in the future? Hopefully.

06 ttr 230 clutch cable adjustment issues.

I was adjusting the new clutch cable out as far as it would go and the clutch would only disengage at the last 25% of the hand lever pulled in. It seemed that my aftermarket cable was too long. On a ride it seemed to self adjust in the wrong direction then finally it wouldn't disengage at all. I thought the cable stretched, it didn't.

90% of the threads call for a new clutch cable and say that you should only buy OEM. The other 9% call for a new clutch parts. It was neither.

My problem (other than loving motorcycles) was the push plate adjustment screw and lock nut. Directly in the center of the clutch pack/outer pressure plate ( inside the clutch cover ) is the push plate that connects to a push rod/ball bearing and then finally the lever that the cable connects to. Take a look at a diagram. The push plate adjustment screw had moved because the lock nut had become loose.

I took a Phillips screwdriver and screwed the push plate out just enough to where it started to have tension (in the direction of pushing the pressure plate out away from the engine). I pulled the clutch hand lever and it felt perfect. Then tightened the lock nut and washer with a wrench while holding the screwdriver in the Push plate adjuster.

Replaced the clutch cover then BRAP!

As far as i can tell all TTR clutches are the same design at or near 2006. ttr125, ttr225, ttr230, ttr250.

I just bought a 2005 TTR230 and my clutch would only engage at the last 25%. The opposite to David6toe.

I was told by two "knowledgeable" people that my friction discs were worn out. When I opened up the clutch they didn't look bad at all but I changed them anyway and of course I still had the same clutch engagement point.   

I found this post and here is a page from the service manual that shows how to adjust the "Clutch Stem".

TTR230ClutchAdjustment.jpg

Edited by msowsun

Msowsun,

I just want to clarify one thing. There is some confusion on the proper nomenclature for engaging/disengaging a motorcycle clutch. Pulling the clutch lever in (towards the handle bars) is disengaging the clutch and letting the lever go is engaging.

So, what I am reading is that your bike's clutch engages as you are letting out the lever at the last 25%. Which you are probably experiencing some slippage when you are not touching the lever, If that is the case. Did you adjust the push plate as shown in the diagram? This lock nut is threaded on to the push plate I was referring to in my post. You use a Phillips head screw driver to adjust and then lock the nut tight with a wrench when you finished adjusting.

When you pull the lever in towards the handlebar this pushes the Push Plate out letting the friction plates slip. Hence, disengaging the clutch. If adjusted properly that Phillips adjustment should be at the very moment you feel tension with the screwdriver. Or the very moment you stop feeling tension. Depends on where it is currently sitting.

First try to adjust the clutch cable, which i suspect is the issue. There are two places the cable can be adjusted. Depending on which cable type you have there is one adjustment at the perch and often one next to the clutch stem lever. I have an after market cable and both adjustments are at the top. One at the perch ( thumb) and another about 8 " away from the perch. Its best to have 1/8" free play in the lever when the lever is at rest. Meaning you don't feel any tension in the cable when the lever is let out all the way. Try loosening the cable.

If that doesn't work it sounds like it may be that the adjustment to the pushrod/clutch stem needs tweaking.

One (more) word on the maintenance sheet you posted and adjusting the clutch stem lever. I believe there are different thickness friction plates on aftermarket stuff and if the plates you installed vary from oem's thickness, this alignment of arrows might not be an accurate measure of adjustment. (This belief is not tested and I would like to hear anyone's response or findings).

Lastly, if there was some confusion as to the nomenclature of engaging/disengaging the clutch. Which is very common, i assure you. You will probably need to pull the clutch cover and readjust the push plate with a Phillips. You should also, check to see if the push rod ball bearing is in place. If its is missing or degraded your clutch stem arrows will indicate that it is adjusted correctly but if fact it is not.

Let us know when you figure it out. I hope this long winded post helps in one way or another.

David

My clutch isn't slipping at all. The free play in the cable is good too. 

I had no issues with it other than a couple of "experts" telling me it should engage at roughly 50% and not at the last 25%. They both said the clutch was worn out. (it wasn't)

When I installed the new friction plates, there was almost no difference. Pretty much the same as before.  That puzzled the "experts" (and me) so I did some more research and found this thread and also the actual TTR230 Service manual as per above. 

I will eventually get around to the stem (plate) adjustment in the clutch itself, but it will have to wait until I get back up to the cottage where I keep the bike.

Mike Sowsun