2013 dirt rider torture test

Curious if anyone else heard of this event. The girls from Dirt Rider mentioned it to me I've at the Enduro Cross this past weekend. It's off the 395 hwy, sounds like a fun and intense run. Any input would be great. Debating either between this or the Lake Elsinore Grand Prix.

It's a race being held in CA of course. It's up canon pass. The race is somewhat of an enduro race.you can either race in a team of 3 to complete the event and race against the pro's or just go ride the hell out of your bike. From what the girls mentioned its HELL, mud sand,hills,flats, you name it and it'll be there.

I emailed Chris for details:

Hey Joe! Awesome job last weekend in Ontario, fun watching you race. Below is some info on the Torture Test, please feel free to share this with your ThumperTalk buddies or anyone else!

We're getting set to release more information on the Torture Test, but the event will essentially consist of ten different special tests that are each designed to test a different set of bike-related skills. Bike wear will be minimal, and while a skid plate and hand guards would be nice we don't anticipate anyone beating their equipment up too badly—we'll definitely have some MX bikes out there that will do fine. Although we'll be recognizing the top finishers who complete all ten special tests, the event is designed so that riders may pick and choose which tests they complete—in other words, if one looks too "torturous", just skip it!

As far as the specific tests, we've got some fun stuff planned. I can't divulge everything but I can tell you that there will be a motocross test, a Gran Prix test and an EnduroCross test. The famous Dirt Rider "Escargot" (constant circle) from previous Torture Tests will also be making a reappearance, along with a barrel racing setup. Riders who can change tires quickly may be interested in another test we've got going. On the higher-difficulty end, we've got two special tests that are shaping up to be real gut-checks: the "Dirt Rider Dash" is being designed and run by a former U.S. Navy SEAL BUD/S Instructor, and the "Mystery Test" is something that I personally have never, ever seen attempted before on a motorcycle, much less against a stop watch. It's going to be one to remember, that's for sure.

Again, more info will be available soon on dirtrider.com, but the event promises to be a killer mix of fun, skill-based challenges and creative, partially-torturous mayhem! A guy like you will dig it!!

Hope this helps,

CD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Date: Saturday, November 16th, 2013, 9 a.m.

Event URL: http://www.dirtrider.com/features/dirt-rider-torture-test-2013/

Registration: https://bonnier.webconnex.com/DirtRider_TortureTest_2013

Event Format: The 2013 Dirt Rider Torture Test is a one-day, skills-based event that is—for the first time ever—open to the public. Participants will compete in a series of ten special tests either as individuals or as a team of up to three racers on one machine. The top riders in each test will be recognized, along with the top riders/ teams who maintain the best overall score on a combination of tests.

Pro Element: A handful of pro racers will be competing in a separate category aboard project bikes for a test in an upcoming issue of Dirt Rider Magazine.  Inclusion in the pro category is by invitation only, and these pro riders will not be eligible for prizes and will be judged in a separate category for top times in each special test.

The following special tests comprise the Dirt Rider Torture Test:

1. Motocross Test: One timed lap for speed around Racetown’s main MX course.

2. Grand Prix Test: A timed 3-5 mile loop through the surrounding desert.

3. The Escargot: A continuous spiral, completed once to the center and back.

4. Extreme Barrel Challenge: A time-honored challenge with a new-age twist.

5. Trials: A trials course that’s timed for speed—but don’t put a foot down!

6. EnduroCross: Rocks, logs, tires and just a sprinkling of mayhem.

7. Supercross Test: A safer take on SX that will be more challenging for the pros!

8. Tire Change: Fastest tire swap with a standard 21” front tire (tire and tools will be supplied, or use may your own).

9. Dirt Rider Dash: An obstacle course so tough, we’re giving you an extra teammate to help you through!

10. The Mystery Test: “That was the hardest thing I’ve ever done on a motorcycle!” —actual quote from a giggling test rider after guinea-pigging the Mystery Test

Scoring: If signed up as an individual, tests #1 - #7 must be completed to qualify for the overall scoring. If signed up as a two-man team, participants must complete tests #1 - #7, along with one other test of the team’s choosing. If competing as a three-man team, participants must complete tests #1 - #7, along with two other tests of their choosing. Only the pro teams must complete all ten tests.

Lunch: A catered lunch will be provided to all pre-entered participants. If you are interested in purchasing more lunch tickets for non-participants, please email tonia.troncone@bonniercorp.com in advance.

Start Time: The rider’s meeting will take place at 9 a.m. sharp, with an open warm-up session on the MX track and special tests following immediately after.

FAQs

I’m worried about the Torture Test being hard on my bike. Should I expect a thrashing for my equipment?

No! The Dirt Rider Torture Test is more of a skills-based event and is designed for maximum fun and minimal abuse on your machine. We recommend a sturdy skid plate for the EnduroCross test, but realistically you could take a stock motocross bike through each of these challenges and have no trouble.

Are there different classes for me to sign up in?

No. While there is an invitation-only pro category, all public riders will sign up in the ‘open’ class, although teams and individuals will be scored separately.

Can I just show up and ride, but not compete?

Yes. There will be open riding available for all who pay the mandatory $10 gate fee, but you may only participate in the special tests if you are signed up to do so.

I’m planning on competing on a team. Are there a minimum number of special tests that each individual team member must complete?

No. It’s entirely up to you how many events each individual team member completes. For example, two-rider teams must complete eight total special tests. You may each ride four tests each, or you can ride seven and your teammate can just ride one. Please note that three man teams must complete nine tests.

How many tries do I get at each special test?

This number will vary based on the specific special test. Some special tests will allow unlimited attempts, while others will only allow you to complete them once for time. More details will be available on the day.

What do I get if I win?

In addition to getting exposure in Dirt Rider magazine, top finishers in each special test will be awarded prizes, with awards going to the top overall teams and individuals. Pros will be score separately from the open class participants.

How will the event be timed?

We’re using a state-of-the-art, transponder-based scoring system for the Torture Test. Due to the fact that the transponder will be placed on the bike, we ask that team participants compete on the same machine.

Where do I sign up?

Online registration is available at https://bonnier.webconnex.com/DirtRider_TortureTest_2013 . Pre-entry is $40. To sign up on the morning of the event ($50 Post entry), please find Lindsey Lovell at the announcer’s tower. 

• Like 1

Soooo....I get if I sign up as an individual I need to complete tests 1-7 to be scored. Are the other 3 events scored as well and count towards my O/A score or would they just be for fun? Or do I have to show people how much I suck at changing tires, why it was a bad idea to drink the night before the event....and how I'll having nothing left for the mystery test. Either way I'm going to do all 10....I just need to start mentally preparing for the personal humilliation I will no doubt incur.

Thanks ?

Edited by andrew34
  • Like 2

Soooo....I get if I sign up as an individual I need to complete tests 1-7 to be scored. Are the other 3 events scored as well and count towards my O/A score or would they just be for fun? Or do I have to show people how much I suck at changing tires,

why it was a bad idea to drink the night before the event....and how I'll having nothing left for the mystery test. Either way I'm going to do all 10....I just need to start mentally preparing for the personal humilliation I will no doubt incur.

Thanks ?

For sure your achilles heel

Dude, you're like the only guy I know that gets drunk off of 3 glasses of wine....or drinks wine for that matter  :busted: 

• Like 1

For sure your achilles heel

Dude, you're like the only guy I know that gets drunk off of 3 glasses of wine....or drinks wine for that matter  :busted: 

:blush:

Nonetheless, this sounds like a fun event and I have the rare scheduled weekend off of work.  You in Tracy?