Sign in to follow this  

Yet another 440cc kit question! or six....haha!

So, I love POWER! I have been thinking of doing all the necessary parts purchases to do a 440 kit, with a carb, porting, and camshaft.

What (from those who HAVE DONE the 440cc kit) are the drawbacks reliability wise?

And how much difference did you find when you did the big bore on a stock motor, and how much difference is an ALL motor with the stuff I said I want to do? BTW I will be buying the parts as i can afford them then probably doing this late winter. BTW, my XR is plated and I ride it on the street!

a fresh cylinder and top end, regardless of size, would blow your mind and feel drastically different...

if you want to ride faster, put your money into the suspension...

a fresh cylinder and top end, regardless of size, would blow your mind and feel drastically different...

if you want to ride faster, put your money into the suspension...

money into the suspension does nothing for the hiway or back _paved) road use. This bike is plated and I am looking for more mid and top speed so it isn't singing so high on the freeway and hyways. I am regearing it this weekend if I FINALLY get my 16t counter, but even then it would be nice to have a few more horsepower. And my motor is fresh, probably only 80 hours since new so I think unless the fresh bore was a big bore of some kind, it wouldn't feel any different.

I have an HRC Power Up kit that has never been used. (minus the gasket kit)   It does not appear that I will ever use it.  It was stated in another posting on here the other day that this kit gives you more at the top end, so may be useful to you.  As I recall, the kit retailed for over $1,400 new.  PM if you are interested.

money into the suspension does nothing for the hiway or back _paved) road use. This bike is plated and I am looking for more mid and top speed so it isn't singing so high on the freeway and hyways. I am regearing it this weekend if I FINALLY get my 16t counter, but even then it would be nice to have a few more horsepower. And my motor is fresh, probably only 80 hours since new so I think unless the fresh bore was a big bore of some kind, it wouldn't feel any different.

Not trying to be a smartass..  but if you are considering mayor engine modifications to make life easier for the engine, you are going in the wrong direction. 

The XR4 will spin some without problems.  The Honda 400 falcon has basically a e-start version of the same engine, and it redlines at 8K rpms.  It is a street bike of course and has a good reputation for reliability.

But if you are planning long rides at high speed on the highway you have the wrong bike.

My advice is to accept the XR4 for what it is.  If the XR4 is not what you really need,  get a bike that suits.  

• Like 1

Grab that HRC kit if you can! Especially if it has the different primary gearing. That alone would help you some on the road. Still don't see why Honda didn't put a 6 speed in those like it did the old 350. 5 is fine off road only but the 400 was also sold as street legal in other countries. It's not like 2 or 3 more lbs of weight was going to make a difference on it.

Edited by michigan400
  • Like 1

Not trying to be a smartass..  but if you are considering mayor engine modifications to make life easier for the engine, you are going in the wrong direction. 

The XR4 will spin some without problems.  The Honda 400 falcon has basically a e-start version of the same engine, and it redlines at 8K rpms.  It is a street bike of course and has a good reputation for reliability.

But if you are planning long rides at high speed on the highway you have the wrong bike.

My advice is to accept the XR4 for what it is.  If the XR4 is not what you really need,  get a bike that suits.  But I am not doing it for long rides on the freeway, it is for those short freeway rides and to get more power overall for everything else.

I have an HRC Power Up kit that has never been used. (minus the gasket kit)   It does not appear that I will ever use it.  It was stated in another posting on here the other day that this kit gives you more at the top end, so may be useful to you.  As I recall, the kit retailed for over $1,400 new.  PM if you are interested.

1400! What all does it consist of? I know the old one for the XR600R had cams, gaskets, 630cc piston, and a bunch of other stuff, may have even included the new cylender.

I love my XR, it is a 426, great on dirt. As XR is the "ultimate" bike, I've tried various street sprocket and tire combinations to finally learn: XRs suck as a road bike. Almost any 4T scooter is way better.

So I bought a used Yamaha TDM for the road, so now I have the ULTIMATE bike fleet :)

• Like 1

We made my son's bike into a 440, cam, Keihin pumper carb, Big Gun full exhaust, rev box etc. This bike seriously rips....BUT we did have problems with head studs and blowing head gaskets because of them. I highly recommend buying GT Thunders big bore head studs and having those installed if you decide to go to a 440. After we had the new studs installed zero problems for the last 3 years. He has raced it a few times and surprised more than a few unsuspecting KTM and CRF and YZF450 riders ;)

Here is a video of him going up a warmup hill and our local riding spot: 

Edited by Speed955

That's good to hear about the GT Thunder head bolts. I had them installed on my big bore and hadn't heard a "real world" report from anyone on them. I hope to have mine back by this weekend. Unfortunately were supposed to get 6 - 12 inches of snow on Friday.

6-12 inches of snow? Where do you live man!

I can't wait for snow

Northern Wyoming. We already had our first snow last week. Only a couple of inches and gone by the next day. That's fall in the northern Rockies. It can be 80 one day and 2 days later there is snow on the ground.

Can't wait to get my bike back though. Its a project that was over two years in the planning and its finally about to be complete. A full write up will come after some riding gets done.

If your 440 is done right zero problems(we have many)over 12 years.Street it will pull 16/40.For street only bike,get a street bike.

Again, this is my dual sport bike and I AM NOT trying to make it into a street bike, but a better dual sport. And frankly, all I need is a little less rpm at freeway speeds WHEN I go on one in the instance where I have to. I have a BMW street bike for specifically street bike stuff.

Again, this is my dual sport bike and I AM NOT trying to make it into a street bike, but a better dual sport. And frankly, all I need is a little less rpm at freeway speeds WHEN I go on one in the instance where I have to. I have a BMW street bike for specifically street bike stuff.

That is the same for my son and I. Both of our XR's are street plated which is almost mandatory these days in the National Forrest. We made my bike a 426 and went all out on his, we just wanted to get trail to trail really quick  :smirk:. The performance gain was worth it, I say go for it, you won't be disappointed. We have street bikes for the street too, but power is addictive. 

Edited by Speed955