Anyone try the FMF Snap in their 2012-2013 KX450F?

As the topic title says, has any tried the FMF Snap in their 2012-2013 KX450F?  It is probably a waste of $100 simply because the bike has a broad range of power from bottom to top, but, in theory, it sounds like it could increase throttle response and the "hit" of the motor...just thought I would put it out there for some feedback.

As the topic title says, has any tried the FMF Snap in their 2012-2013 KX450F?  It is probably a waste of $100 simply because the bike has a broad range of power from bottom to top, but, in theory, it sounds like it could increase throttle response and the "hit" of the motor...just thought I would put it out there for some feedback.

I have one in my personal 2012 KX450F and can say that its makes quite a bit of difference off the low to mid range hit from stock. I am also not saying this because I work for FMF, but I have tested a few in different bikes and noticed the amount of grunt I got right off the bottom immediately. It gives the bike a more aggressive feel and not something you will necessarily see on dyno charts either, also not a "violent aggressive feel" seems to be smoother in my opinion. For example, if you ever have any issues, which is very rare on a 450 to get over something right out of a corner, the SNAP does actually make up that difference to get over stuff a little easier. Hope this helps answer your question, and note that I am also running a full Factory 4.1RCT and Megabomb. Other than that no mods. Take care!

Hey Nick, thanks for that feedback -- sounds like a good sales pitch from an unbiased source!

To install that SNAP, does it just slip into the intake, or is there some kind of mounting hardware?

I will also tell you that I took the backfire screen out of the 2012 KX450 and I think that gives slightly quicker and crisper throttle response.  I have read all of the posts where people say it is a waste of time and it doesn't show any change on the dyno -- maybe it's in my head, but I think I notice it having some modest improvement in throttle response.

I would think the combination of the backfire screen removed and the SNAP would probably work pretty good, and is cheaper than going to a Moto Tassinari system if you are looking for something better.

There, I think I just talked myself into maybe getting one!

Hey Nick, thanks for that feedback -- sounds like a good sales pitch from an unbiased source!

To install that SNAP, does it just slip into the intake, or is there some kind of mounting hardware?

I will also tell you that I took the backfire screen out of the 2012 KX450 and I think that gives slightly quicker and crisper throttle response.  I have read all of the posts where people say it is a waste of time and it doesn't show any change on the dyno -- maybe it's in my head, but I think I notice it having some modest improvement in throttle response.

I would think the combination of the backfire screen removed and the SNAP would probably work pretty good, and is cheaper than going to a Moto Tassinari system if you are looking for something better.

There, I think I just talked myself into maybe getting one!

Hey no problem!

Yes it goes in through the front of the airboot. No mounting just a slip fitment. You can also watch our install video on our website at www.fmfracing.com/team/videos. That video is on a Suzuki RMZ250 which is the most difficult one, but you will get the jist of it. 

I also have my backfire screen cut out as well, and I am with you that it does make a difference, not huge but noticeable. I cannot imagine with the Moto Tassinari boot, it could be that much better, but I also have not tested with it. Just my personal opinion, with the SNAP and no screen makes quite a big difference on my bike!

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, or give our techs a call, and if you speak with Mike or Bryce they are our top 2 guys here in tech support. Thanks and take care!