Sign in to follow this  

Does my cylinder have a liner or not?

Hi all, i am new to this site so please bear with me :thumbsup: i have a "94 kmx 125 and currently have the engine dropped out to do a rebuild i have come abit stuck as to whether either of my spare barrels are useable/have a liner fitted (for cheapness i didnt want to resort to one but i may have to was hoping one of the three ones i had would do the trick) i have took a few pictures, to me the one in first picture on the right with black/orange deposits on top of barrel has one judging by the bulge from bottom walls slightly bigger than the others most of the pictures are of that barrel bar last one& one with both in and would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this issue for me.. the engine that was in the frame did run far too hot from what i could gather and the right power valve actuator rod cover had melted at the top which i gathered wasnt normal? is it advisable to clean powervalve parts/ cylinder heads with soapy water at all? i have read carb kleener may do the trick to get rid of the black sludge/carbon built up? many thanks

IMG-20130925-00070.jpg

IMG-20130925-00069.jpg

IMG-20130925-00071.jpg

IMG-20130925-00072.jpg

IMG-20130925-00073.jpg

IMG-20130925-00076.jpg

IMG-20130925-00077.jpg

IMG-20130925-00078.jpg

Edited by calisi103

Thanks for that guys one less worry, today stupidly I tried clean my barrel with red hot water and seems the coating on outside of cylinder has been softened etc wasn't spotless anyway will high temp paint do the trick or is something more complex used as I wanted it in black anyway?

i would have to look at it   otherwise no telling what been done over the years

hi temp paint will work  but if the original paint was affected by water  you want to get as much of it off as possible

Edited by Zimman

I was advised take it back down to alloy what I be looking at taking the paint off with mate? When I get round to spraying barrel what are the steps asin covering powervalve ports, put the head on etc or do it once engine back in frame? Also I'm after replacement coolant hoses but don't want pay 50-70pound just for coloured silicone or is this reasonable price? Seems steep to me& does anyone know powder coating services cheap in or near stoke-on-trent? Thanks

Can anyone shed some light on what rik rings are made of? I have a lined cylinder possibly cast iron due to the goldy colour at where it would be at TDC its in need of a rebore and possibly welding im not to sure. I read earlier that chrome liners need cast iron rings is this the case but with steel/iron liners or isnt the metal of rings important? Dont want to make a schoolboy error when it comes to getting it rebuilt? Also how do i correctly measure carb float height the manual just states 'lean it back' Thanks

Don't tell us what kind of bike you have or anything, 'cause that would just make it too easy to answer your float level question.

it was buried in the first post

Hi all, i am new to this site so please bear with me :thumbsup: i have a "94 kmx 125 and currently