Bike for Girlfriend

So my girlfriend has been learning on a Klx110 and Crf100. She really likes riding and is starting to get the hang of it. She wants her own bike. So I'm thinking about a ttr230 or crf230 for her first bike. She's 21, 5'9-10 skinny athletic shape. Prob weighs 125-130ish...

So what do you guys think of those 2 bikes, Any other suggestions?

She'll mostly be trail riding and occasionally riding on my family's or one of the local tracks...

Thanks

Edited by Breaky0self

Thank you for the suggestions, honestly at this point the 125/200 and 250f are all way to much power for her and I want to get her a nicer bike then an older kdx. I really don't think the newer ttr's are that bad, check out this vid I found online

They don't look that bad or that heavy anymore.

Thank you for the suggestions, honestly at this point the 125/200 and 250f are all way to much power for her and I want to get her a nicer bike then an older kdx. I really don't think the newer ttr's are that bad, check out this vid I found online

They don't look that bad or that heavy anymore.

Don't look heavy. I have seen one move surprisingly quick though. Reliable as fark and less maintenance for you (or her) to do.

I disagree with the others, if she can pick up a 230 when she drops it, it has e-start and she is good to go.

Then she can progress to anything else.

Should be no problem with weight.

The TTRs are heavy(i have one) the KDXs are cool(i have two) the ktm200 is the ticket as it has smooth lugging power. If you get a 2007 or older you can make the seat height very low. Very nimble bike that she will love and so will you. I chance to say that you may want your own 200 so you can keep up with her....lol.... don't get her a big heavy bike.

Also they make a rekluse auto clutch for the ktm200. Pair it up with a left hand rear brake and you've got a bike that is fun, mellow and ready to win the RedBull Romaniacs (you tube that)

I will admit that I am lighter and shorter than the OP's girlfriend. I had little trouble picking up my friends 230. I also have a KTM 200EXC, and it has a very fun midrange and is very tractable, could do with more on top though. 

It can get you moving deceptively quick and spit you off easier than you'd think, for a pissy little 200, which has way way more than a 250f, which the OP deems to be 'too much' for her.

A KTM200 would be the ticket after his girlfriend (a beginner) has ridden a beginner oriented bike. I highly rate mine and would buy another. But I like all bikes too.

Neither of those 230s have a kickstarter. In my book that is a no no for trail use. If she kills it a lot she will be using the starter a lot which will wear down the battery. Once it's dead your only option is to bump start it which isn't always a good option if you are at the bottom of a hill.

• Like 1

I will admit that I am lighter and shorter than the OP's girlfriend. I had little trouble picking up my friends 230. I also have a KTM 200EXC, and it has a very fun midrange and is very tractable, could do with more on top though.

It can get you moving deceptively quick and spit you off easier than you'd think, for a pissy little 200, which has way way more than a 250f, which the OP deems to be 'too much' for her.

A KTM200 would be the ticket after his girlfriend (a beginner) has ridden a beginner oriented bike. I highly rate mine and would buy another. But I like all bikes too.

You nailed it on the head, I love Ktm 200's. But at this point it's to much for her. I ride a kx250f. I miss my old yz 125. So maybe I'll keep a look out for a good deal on 125/200 that I can have some fun on and after she masters the ttr she can step up to an Mx bike!!

lol you caught me. I just don't want her to get hurt, scared or discouraged from riding... She kinda likes to just put around and go throw chill open trails at this point..

Btw she would be passing my kawi ?

The power valve can be adjusted to never come on the "pipe". I think you're worried she'll get too good on the ktm and pass your honda...lol...