Sign in to follow this  

Oil leaking from radiator vent tube

Started my bike up the other day just because I haven't started it in a while and oil started to leak out of the radiator vent tube. I assume I need to do the top end. Is this correct?

Started my bike up the other day just because I haven't started it in a while and oil started to leak out of the radiator vent tube. I assume I need to do the top end. Is this correct?

Hold on!  There should not be oil coming out of the rad. overflow tube.  Are you sure you are looking at the clear to white in color radiator overflow hose coming from the radiator neck? 

If there is oil coming from that hose then there is oil in the radiators.

My guess is you are looking at the crank case vent tube (black in color).  Is the oil (liquid) running, dripping, or just damp on the end of the hose?

On second thought... did you let it idle for a long period of time? (4 minuets or longer)  If so it may have been pushing coolant out of the overflow hose.

Hold on!  There should not be oil coming out of the rad. overflow tube.  Are you sure you are looking at the clear to white in color radiator overflow hose coming from the radiator neck? 

If there is oil coming from that hose then there is oil in the radiators.

My guess is you are looking at the crank case vent tube (black in color).  Is the oil (liquid) running, dripping, or just damp on the end of the hose?

On second thought... did you let it idle for a long period of time? (4 minuets or longer)  If so it may have been pushing coolant out of the overflow hose.

I think it was coming from the radiator vent tube. It was one of those night where I started the bike in the garage to show a couple of buddies how loud it was and I will say some beers were involved. I do remember the liquid was a combination of oil and radiator fluid. I didn't let it idle that long either. Maybe 2 minutes? 

To be sure I will have to do it again to really pay attention to where it is coming from.

sounds fishy......take a picture of the tube and liquid coming from it