Never raced before, want to try it

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but here it is: I've never raced before, but I definitely want to. My questions are, how do you get into racing, just sign up? And I have a 2008 WR250F, is that okay or do I need something like a yz?

Simply emailing the race director or series will tell you all you need to know to get started. Many series are different in what is required to participate, weather it be sound levels, gear required, memberships, etc. Also, what type of racing are you wanting to do? That determines if your wr is the proper bike to ride or not.

Having just recently tried racing in a local offroad series allow me to leave you with this tidbit of advice.  Having never raced before and not even getting a bike until I was 19 I was way behind the 8-ball.  To make matters worse I am 26 years old and stuck in the middle of two different classes.  The end result is me having to race in the C-250 with a bunch of balls to the wall 16 year olds that don't really care if they break themselves, their bike, or both.  I have to go to work the next day and would much rather be racing in the safer C-Vet class but you need to be at least 30 to race that class for the series I am in.  I think I have done about 6-7 races total.  From those 6-7 races I have done hundreds of dollars in damages to my bike and also destroyed my shoulder which required surgery to repair.

Don't let this discourage you from trying to get into racing but for me it has just been a colossal waste of time filled with injury and massive expenses.  From here on out I am done with racing and I am going back to what I started doing 7 years ago....simply riding for fun.  

Simply emailing the race director or series will tell you all you need to know to get started. Many series are different in what is required to participate, weather it be sound levels, gear required, memberships, etc. Also, what type of racing are you wanting to do? That determines if your wr is the proper bike to ride or not.

The only thing we have here is an MX course so I'd be racing on that

Having just recently tried racing in a local offroad series allow me to leave you with this tidbit of advice.  Having never raced before and not even getting a bike until I was 19 I was way behind the 8-ball.  To make matters worse I am 26 years old and stuck in the middle of two different classes.  The end result is me having to race in the C-250 with a bunch of balls to the wall 16 year olds that don't really care if they break themselves, their bike, or both.  I have to go to work the next day and would much rather be racing in the safer C-Vet class but you need to be at least 30 to race that class for the series I am in.  I think I have done about 6-7 races total.  From those 6-7 races I have done hundreds of dollars in damages to my bike and also destroyed my shoulder which required surgery to repair.

Don't let this discourage you from trying to get into racing but for me it has just been a colossal waste of time filled with injury and massive expenses.  From here on out I am done with racing and I am going back to what I started doing 7 years ago....simply riding for fun.  

close your legs i can smell you from here

close your legs i can smell you from here

Yeah yeah I know that's what all my buddies tell me too. I am a huge &%$#@!. Thanks for the reminder

Go get in a harescramble or gp. your wr will be fine. I dont know what part of the country you are from but here in ohio and wv , if you line up on the first year beginner line , the riders will not look at you any differently than if you are an open A rider. Whether you are running a 45 minute gp or a 2 hr XC event , just start easy , pace yourself , and start picking off the gassed out riders . Main thing is to finish , there is alot of pride in that . You cant win , just finish . Youll get better . Experience produces speed. The offroad community will welcome you .

My suggestion is leave mx alone . God,i respect those guys , and go to everyone i can , as a spectator. Lot of risk , little reward. with a wr250, hit the trails , ride ride ride . There is satisfaction in being able to ride terrain where others struggle with or shy away from . When you have nothing to prove to anybody is when you will be the happiest as a rider.

Don't be scared to ask for advice from the pro rider to the beginner the off-road community is the best team kawasaki once loaned me a hole front tire for rest of a desert race

go to a race and check it out. get there at the beginning of the day and maybe talk to some racers or track workers about what you need to start racing yourself. Get an idea of what time you need to be there on a day your actually participating. Check out a riders meeting, see what classes you can run and things like that. If you plan on racing your wr on an mx track stiffen up your suspension as much as you can. Most organizations require front number plates and no kickstands so be aware of that. If your local track offers open practice on non race days go and ride. most important thing is to have fun, if you like it you may want to consider a mx specific bike. 

The first race is terrifying! You may not think so until your sitting on the line with so many other riders. Your muscles tighten quicker, your breathing is off. It's a rush like no other. That being said, go for it. You can race in any number of classes. Most people start in beginner, but some older riders I know started in the Sr classes (something about the teen beginners jumping over their heads they didn't like).

You can always show up and watch at first, or just go and race. Another great option is to go to a practice. That way you get to learn the track before racing it, get to pick up some speed, and learn to ride smooth. Then while your there meet some people. As you meet people they can guide you into what is needed to race.

The first race is terrifying! You may not think so until your sitting on the line with so many other riders. Your muscles tighten quicker, your breathing is off. It's a rush like no other. That being said, go for it. You can race in any number of classes. Most people start in beginner, but some older riders I know started in the Sr classes (something about the teen beginners jumping over their heads they didn't like).

You can always show up and watch at first, or just go and race. Another great option is to go to a practice. That way you get to learn the track before racing it, get to pick up some speed, and learn to ride smooth. Then while your there meet some people. As you meet people they can guide you into what is needed to race.

I'm definitely going to practice first! I'll probably get a rush out of just that! I'm hoping to go up with my buddy who's raced the track before this weekend

At age 43, I decided to race...for the 1st time, on a dirtbike. A local winter G.P. series. On the start line...I was nervous as a whore in church(sorry, it was bad). After a white knuckled 1st lap, I remembered how helpful all the experienced folks were helping me get where I needed to be. I started to relax...with that came some extra giddyup. I finished 6th, my first time out.

I have my first 2.5 hour harescramble on the 20th, I get more nervous the closer it gets.

First determine what type of racing you would like to do? Then check Craigslist and buy yourself a decent used motocross bike for that class or type of racing. Bikes can be had cheap for as little as 600 all the why up to 1600. You should be able to find something you like. You'll be glad you did because you will ride faster and harder because you won't be worried about defacing your baby. 

Edited by TheDank

First determine what type of racing you would like to do? Then check Craigslist and buy yourself a decent used motocross bike for that class or type of racing. Bikes can be had cheap for as little as 600 all the why up to 1600. You should be able to find something you like. You'll be glad you did because you will ride faster and harder because you won't be worried about defacing your baby.

Where are you finding decent motocross bikes for $600???? Out here, that's cheap for a good used mountain bike...

Where are you finding decent motocross bikes for $600???? Out here, that's cheap for a good used mountain bike...

I got a great running, albeit ugly KX 250...for under 1k. Raced the crap out of it last winter. Once again, an inexperienced Craigslister gave, until it hurt.

Edited by bowhunter007

Check out Craigslist Minnesota. I'm always on the hunt for 2 stroke bikes. I'm a Suzuki guy but have bought other brands to fix and sell for a profit.

I check Craigslist on a daily bases. I just searched Minnesota for 125cc and this is a sample of what it pulled up and can be found. (see below)

This is where I bought the bike pictured for $1100 it needed work. If you are going to race you best be able to tune and repair your own bike or have a very thick wallet with lots of cash.

Fall is a good time to look in Minnesota. Some really good deals can be found. 

yamaha 125cc - $1200 (Mankato MN)

01111_2kf4GvjrsZU_600x450.jpg
01111_2kf4GvjrsZU_50x50c.jpg00p0p_3IszmYzkQ5Z_50x50c.jpg00505_72zXzXKSJFR_50x50c.jpg

Yamaha 2000- 125cc 2stroke, new piston done last year, new top and bottom, new sparkplug, good condition.I haven used it often, I'm not a racer, i just use it for fun once in awhile. This bike is very fast and fun. 1,200$ for yamaha includes its adult sizechest protector and helmet not in good condition but itll do it, its adult size
If interested, call (507 )399-3543
all after 5pm

Kx 125 Dirtbike - $700 (Chippewa Falls)

This is a green 1987 125cc Kawasaki Dirtbike. Looking for a $700
Text 715 944 9178
Thanks

2000 RM 125 Dirt Bike Project/ Parts/ Trade? - $600 (Coon Rapids)

00T0T_4i1Za9lHz8z_600x450.jpg
00T0T_4i1Za9lHz8z_50x50c.jpg00Y0Y_4gLvRtzLGOI_50x50c.jpg00I0I_4pgpYfntfPq_50x50c.jpg00s0s_eXxDc0JM5Iv_50x50c.jpg

I have a 2000 suzuki rm 125 dirtbike that is ready to go accept for some assembly and a few parts. I bought it from a friend who took it apart because the piston locked up right before he was going to rebuild it. Unfortunately the bike I usually ride also blew up so now I have decided to fix that one instead. So this one needs to go to pay for the parts for the other. Anyway, he took the jug off to inspect it, and needless to say, cant find the jug. I bought a new jug and head. However it still needs a baffle/exhaust, and a exhaust/power valve assembly (new head didnt come with it). This bike has lots of aftermarket parts including new sprocket ratio, brand new jetted carb, inverted forks, renthal bars, and a few more goodies. Bike ripped when it ran, but now it sits here waiting. Great bike, never beat on, good winter project, or you can use the parts left over. SELLING WHOLE BIKE, i dont have the time to part it out, need to get the other one going.

$600 or best offer

I am however interested in trading for a snowmobile (skidoo prefered) can throw in cash for the right deal. Ill entertain other offers with motors, projects are fine, just not a dirtbike, already got one.

Email, or text/call 612-849-3946 - Tyler

Edited by TheDank