Battery Tenders

Two questions:

Is it ok to remove my battery from my bike and hook it up to a battery tender in the house?

->two reasons i want to do this is there is no plugs in the area i park and it also gets verrry cold out there

->i would still be running it up every 2 weeks just to keep the fluids flowin and cuz i lurve hur 

#2) recommend a battery tender?

thx for any help

I use a battery tender junior. Works great and is cheap. Also has a quick connect option.

I use a Battery Tender on both my 07 GSX-R 750 and my 06 DRZ SM. They are both on the tenders 24/7 unless I am riding one or the other. I just replaced the OEM battery in the Gixxer yesterday, lasted 6 years IMO only because of the chargers. You can certainly remove the battery and leave it on the tender but I would install the harness they come with and leave the battery in and quick connected to charger. Disconnect the plug and off you go. I recommend you use the genuine Battery Tender, I have not had any problems with them. Had numerous failures and returns with Deltrans and Yuasa's from Cycle Gear.

I use a battery tender junior. Works great and is cheap. Also has a quick connect option.

+1,  been using the battery tender jr for a minute now on 4 different bikes in the past few years,  works great,  my battery is always fully charged. 

Best $25 bucks imo. 

I have 3  of the Schumacher tenders from wal mart plugged in now . 2 on bikes and 1 for the  riding mower. In stock and about $20.00

Is it ok ... in the house?

Even though these batteries are 'sealed', they are also 'vented'. While charging, they do build up pressure and emit gas. I wouldn't put this on your night stand.

I've been using the Deltran for years with much success.

Edited by Filipe

I too use a Battery Tender Junior and have been very pleased. Keeps the battery charged when I don't get a chance to ride.

As far as charging a battery in your home I wouldn't recommend doing that. Batteries produce volatile gases when charging. Even sealed batteries vent gases during charging. Best to keep that activity somewhere well ventilated.

I also use a Battery Tender Jr.  I got it on Amazon for $25.  There were a ton of reviews about it failing and the manufacturer not covering their warranty, but mine has been going strong for a year now.

I have an Optimate3 for each bike. Haven't bought a battery since (knock on wood).

What are we using for the Ballistic and Shorai batteries ?

I've had mine hooked up to a Battery Tender Junior, in a spare bedroom, for the last few months. Maybe this is why I've been seeing pink butterflies in the house, lately?

BTW, when leaving the battery in the bike, with the tender's quick connector, is there any trick to attaching it? Precautions to be taken?

Edited by blakestree

BTW, when leaving the battery in the bike, with the tenders quick connector, is there any trick to attaching it? Precautions to be taken?

Not really, just plug it in. I plug my bikes back in as soon as I put them back in the garage all year long.

I didn't see it mentioned in here, but I hope everyone is using an Automatic charger (one that senses a full charge and turns off, manual chargers can continue to charge and cook the battery).

... I hope everyone is using an Automatic charger (one that senses a full charge and turns off, manual chargers can continue to charge and cook the battery).

The Battery Tender Junior has a regulator and all kinds of blinky lights that tell you what kind of charge it is giving. Works like a champ.

Here's two tips when installing the battery tender harness. 1. The HOLE (female) on the 2-pole SAE connector should be connected to + (12VDC) and the POLE (male) connected to minus (ground) on the battery. (I'm positive this is the way it's shown on the instructions as well.) 2. Don't plug the charger into the wall outlet until the harness is connected to the charger. 

Why?

1. The + on the charger should be the hole (female) because you don't want a + voltage dangling where it might contact the bike frame when disconnected from the trickle charger. Also, any farkles on the bike (like a phone charger) should be wired the same. (i.e. the positive to the phone charger should be the pole (male)  on that items connector.)

2. Some might not realize the OUTPUT of the trickle charger is the POLE, you don't want it hot until it's connected to the bike, thus don't plug into the wall first.

Two questions:

Is it ok to remove my battery from my bike and hook it up to a battery tender in the house?

->two reasons i want to do this is there is no plugs in the area i park and it also gets verrry cold out there

->i would still be running it up every 2 weeks just to keep the fluids flowin and cuz i lurve hur 

#2) recommend a battery tender?

thx for any help

I would not put it in the house, as for hooking the battery up no issues.

Can't remember who makes them but academy carries them. Come with alligator clips and eyelets. Install eyelet hareness, zip tie out secure down back of battery, leave plugged in while not riding. Battery good since I got my bike (2011). We have these on a couple of mowers Nd atvs too. Work flawlessly.