Sign in to follow this  

How much use out of OEM clutch basket?

Hi all, new to the forum. Picked up a used 04' crf240r recently and I noticed through the transmission oil filler hole that the clutch basket has some notching. My question is approximately how much time should you be able to get out of an OEM clutch basket before notching occurs? I will not be racing this bike or even riding that frequently. I've had really good experiences with Barnett clutch components in the past and they have the billet clutch basket with stainless (replaceable) inserts but I'm wondering if I should even bother with that since I won't be racing or riding often.

Edited by crf-250r

Just file the notches down.. my 04 was notched up pretty bad so I filled it down and it works good as new

I thought about that; is there a limit/tolerance range for opening up the spacing? 

I thought about that; is there a limit/tolerance range for opening up the spacing? 

not sure. i just filed mine down untill it was almost flat and not sharp edged.  i would do that and then also look for a stock basket on ebay( should be able to get one fairly cheap) and then when the basket gets notchy again just swap it out. 

I've heard not to file it doen more then 3-4 times, and each time you file it it will notch faster

i would personly only file once or twice.  each time you do it theres more room for the plates to slap the edge.   

i would personly only file once or twice. each time you do it theres more room for the plates to slap the edge.

Good point, hence why they notch faster after you file them, and ill personally never file, maybe the day before some motos just to get me through, but once my bikes clutch is notched (its an 05 and still fine!) Id rather bite the bullet and but a new one

I find the more you use/abuse the clutch and wear the plates the less the basket grooves as the plate waer spots move over time. So, pay for a bunch of new clutch packs, or pay for a basket I guess. My CR500 baskets notch asap due to high power and I don't slip the clutch hardly ever.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I may try the filing first since it seems to be a common option that has worked for quite a few folks.

FWIW I bought a new hinson clutch basket and took a gap measurement before it was installed. The new hinson basket actually measured wider than the used OEM basket which surprised me. Since the OEM plates can be used in the hinson basket I was surprised to find it wider in those areas. So filing a stock basket once or twice depending on how badly notched it is will work fine, at least for awhile.    

You are asking for trouble when you file it. Each time the groove grows and you keep running it, you create a dead space/slop in the clutch basket, there is a clatter when you go from under power to closed throttle. The more worn the basket becomes the more play, the more play the more likely you are to break a tab off the basket. 

Im lucky toget a year out of any oem clutch basket, they are cast aluminum junk. replace the worn stock one asap with any decent aftermarket basket,

hinson

barnett

wiseco

etc

• Like 1

FWIW I bought a new hinson clutch basket and took a gap measurement before it was installed. The new hinson basket actually measured wider than the used OEM basket which surprised me. Since the OEM plates can be used in the hinson basket I was surprised to find it wider in those areas. So filing a stock basket once or twice depending on how badly notched it is will work fine, at least for awhile.    

Interesting and good to know. I wondered that but without buying one had no way to measure.

Never seen that before, very weird. How much bigger.

Never seen that before, very weird. How much bigger.

Have you ever measured one, either an OEM or an aftermarket basket?

Like I said the comparison I did was between a new hinson basket and a used OEM basket that had been filed once before and had started to notch again but the notches werent real deep. When putting the clutch plates in the new basket it was easy to see that there was a noticeable amount of clearance and that they didnt fit as close inside as the original basket that had been filed once. Thats when I decided to compare between the two baskets and take a measurement. There was right around .015 difference with the hinson being wider. I actually called hinson and they said the new basket was within their specs.