Sign in to follow this  

I Think I'm too OCD for a 13t Sprocket?

So I'm apprehensive on the 13 tooth sprocket...,even after the page upon page of "thumbs up" in the forums.

Here's the deal...

Having my speedo off would drive me nuts. I've already got a few speeding tickets under my belt and need that puppy to be spot on. How hard is the speedo calibrator install? I'd hate to screw it up and it just looks like a circuit board to me. I don't even know where it mounts.

Second, I kind of like the bike the way it is but everyone always says it's better with the 13tooth sprocket. What's better? More snap? More power? Better take-off speed and throttle control?

See, there goes my OCD. I'm all for mods but don't want to waste the time and money on the wrong ones. If I do the speedo thing and the sprocket shipped I'm at $100 bucks to get the parts. HELP ME!!

As always you guys rock...thanks

Edited by Brk4moose
  • Like 1

I was concerned about the speedo error but I installed the 13t and planned to install a speedo healer at a later time. Boy am I glad I did, its like a whole different bike or actually the way the bike should have come from the factory.

Since I ride mostly on the trails with the occasional commute, I am no longer that concerned with the speedo error. I'd rather spend that money on a GPS with accurate speed.

The speedo error should not prevent you from installing a 13t.

• Like 4

My speedo is a bit off but not a lot, now I just am used to it.

Too bad there isnt a 1 time calibration set and then its good, not where you have to keep it hooked up.

I always wondered if Honda could recalibrate it, but guess not!

Now I just take it as the normal speed and deal with it!

• Like 1

I have the 13t. And think mine is off by 10%. So it's easy to calculate on the fly. At 40 mph it's off 4 mph. At 60 it's off 6mph. Really pretty easy. And the speedo is over stated vs actual. So if you think about it, it will actually help you to not get speeding tickets. Convinced yet? I thought it helped usability of 6th gear. It seemed to help in lower gears but I noticed it more in higher gears.

• Like 2

I have the calibrator and love it !!! 

I added 13/42's with a 4.50x18 rear tire. after getting some data from the gps and going to the web site I had an adjustment of -11.6% 

My speedo is spot on now but, I only got the calibrator to keep accurate miles on the odometer and was not really concerned with speeding because as has been stated ... your speedo will show you going faster than you are really going. I think my bike was reading 5 mph fast at 60 mph even with the stock gearing and no mods. 

• Like 1

How exactly does the calibrator install, and how does it work? Do you need to adjust/program (?) It when you change sprocket sizes etc?

How exactly does the calibrator install, and how does it work? Do you need to adjust/program (?) It when you change sprocket sizes etc?

Im wondering the same thing.

• Like 1

This bike has a speed sensor in the transmission. The SpeedoDRD simply plugs into that in the same way the fuel programmer does and you just zip tie the computer board end where ever you like. It has a button and LED light. Comes with simple instructions to program it. I ran an app called my tracks on my phone and jumped on the highway and went as fast as my bike would go for a few minutes taking note of my top speed. When I got back I looked at the app for my top speed and entered what my speedo said and what my app said. I had a - 11.6% difference and then just followed the instructions to program the SpeedoDRD and now my speedo reads correct !!! 

I really like it and consider it money well spent and can simply re program it the next time I change tires or sprockets. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the shameless plug...I have a brand new 13t tooth counter sprocket and SpeedoDRD for sale in the classifieds. $65.00 for the pair. I'm sure someone could use them and the price is right!

Sorry for the shameless plug...I have a brand new 13t tooth counter sprocket and SpeedoDRD for sale in the classifieds. $65.00 for the pair. I'm sure someone could use them and the price is right!

I ordered the DRD speed calibrator on Sunday.  My timing was off to be able to purchase yours, but someone in need will get it.  :ride:

Edited by dkappelm
  • Like 1

Why 13/40 and not 14/43-45?

a 13 lets you keep your stock chain. I run 13/42 with the stock chain. someday I will have a 14/48 

My stock chain is maxed out, need to remove some links or go bigger sprocket.

I'd like to keep the 14 up front to decrease chain wear.

I think the gearing is to tall but i don't want the bike to be tach'ed out doing 65-70 for a few hours.    What do you guys think 43,44 or 45t ?