New member/build thread

Hi everyone, thought id introduce myself here. My names Cody and I bought a 2006 650L about 3 months ago. Im 18 and have been in the dirt since I was 3, so I figured a dual sport was a good street starter for me. It has already become more than that because Ive already grown attached to it (as well as my dad hah). So Ive decided to do things to it and make her nice. 

A little back story:

It all started me wanting a kickstarter, just for backup. So I looked for a 600r setup. Ended up finding an '89 600R on craigslist for $450. (Which im parting out. See my other thread) He said he crashed it and bent the forks and didnt have the money to fix it. Turns out he just bent the front wheel. I was only looking for the kickstarter stuff, but ended up with way more than that. Big pegs, black fenders, stubby light, big headers.

I did some researching on "The Google" and found some stuff on how much the 600 and 650 have in common.

So now im going to take the 1st and 2nd gears from the 600 tranny and toss them in the L to get rid of the 1-2 gap. And also take the head to gain the manual decompression (because ill lose the auto when I do the cam)

Ive decided to make this a nice build. Heres whats on the list (for now):

674cc big bore kit

Head swap

Probably valve springs

Stage 1 Cam

Tranny swap

New carb

Clutch

LED turns

Digitial dash

HID front light

Im learning as I go so dont mind me being slow or stupid.

And dont say anything about just getting another bike, its got sentimental value hah.

Ill stop blabbering for now ..

Ill get some pics up hopefully sometime soon!

Cheers!

Cody

Do not use aftermarket valve springs like my KibbleWhites with a HOTCAM,,,,the cam is designed for OE spring pressure and heavier springs could destroy the cam/rockers...

You only need to change the valve cover to gain manual decomp.....you do not need to change the actal head..

I almost sure you don`t need the second gear from the XR600R to lose the gap,,the second gear is the same on both,,the first gear being lower on the XR650L is the issue...

But,,you gotta know,,if you use the XR600R first gear then you`ll lose the XRL bull low first gear which is nice in tight terrain...most people swap in the NX650 second gear..your call.........

Post lots of pics.........i like pics,,,lots of em ?

B

Do not use aftermarket valve springs like my KibbleWhites with a HOTCAM,,,,the cam is designed for OE spring pressure and heavier springs could destroy the cam/rockers...

You only need to change the valve cover to gain manual decomp.....you do not need to change the actal head..

I almost sure you don`t need the second gear from the XR600R to lose the gap,,the second gear is the same on both,,the first gear being lower on the XR650L is the issue...

But,,you gotta know,,if you use the XR600R first gear then you`ll lose the XRL bull low first gear which is nice in tight terrain...most people swap in the NX650 second gear..your call.........

Post lots of pics.........i like pics,,,lots of em ?

B

Yeah see already a rookie mistake hah... I didnt mean the head, I meant the cover .. Boo me.

Thanks for the input. I was just following another build thread of a guy whos doing exactly what im doing. Ill have to compare the two. Does the NX650 second give it a linear ratio?

Just empasizing the euro nx fifth gear. Its only 100 bux and once its in you wont have to worry about it later. If your block by block or urban riding your 1st thru 4th wont suffer. But then you have a smoother freewayoperating bike. A wise option. Ill give you the info on this japanese parts supplier.

But maybe im strong on this cause my cause for rebuild was extensive highway riding. I was pretty agressive. Part of the fun.

Yeah see already a rookie mistake hah... I didnt mean the head, I meant the cover .. Boo me.

Thanks for the input. I was just following another build thread of a guy whos doing exactly what im doing. Ill have to compare the two. Does the NX650 second give it a linear ratio?

Linear,no.......it moves the large gap that was 1st-2nd...........up to 2nd-3rd.........where you are going fast enough to not notice it,,you get to keep the really low 1st..and 2nd is now usable on tight trails........combine that with the FMX650 fifth gear and you can run 14/48 sprockets ...and still fly down the highway at sane speeds..

B