Sign in to follow this  

Riding nearby...

Hi,

I have a state park within about a mile of my house, and all neighborhood roads all the way there. I just had a few questions to see what people thought about this:

When going on the road to get to the park, should i go slow and keep the bike quite? Its a pretty loud 2 stroke, should i fly by quickly and get there with less chance of passing people, or stay wuite nt to hurt anyones ears if theyre sensitive or whatever?

Also, ill be riding a fire trail and some smaller trails off it, maybe highway trails too. I wa thinking of taking my bicycle down and just see if theres anyone around the places and all that, its not a legal place, it has a sign right where i come in saying nothing motorized unless on the main parkroad. Should i check it out with my bicycle first? Also, it meets up with some water depo place, it goes off the fire trail a little ways, should i care or be cautious about that? And, finnaly, i think it connects to the trails next to the highway, are those pretty safe for the most part? Ive heard people in the towns aroun me saying they ride them, not sure about it though

Any help would be greatly appreaciated, sorry for the long post!

Thanks!

If I were you I would be as quiet as possible while you are on the roads.  Whether you are flying down the road or putting somebody is going to notice you eventually.  When they do notice they will appreciate that you are not flying down the road like a bat outta hell and will be less likely to call the cops on you.  Also your knobbies will thank you for not holding it WFO on the pavement.  Save those nice square edges for the dirt! Once I hit the trails I go at whatever pace and noise level I want to and stop for nobody.  

I just noticed that you are from MA.  Which state park are we talking about here?  I have ridden all of them accept the ones out in western MA.

Nickerson state park, its on cape cod, ive seen a kid who use to live here go riding in there every once in a while, so id imagine in the off season its pretty safe

Nickerson state park, its on cape cod, ive seen a kid who use to live here go riding in there every once in a while, so id imagine in the off season its pretty safe

I lied I guess I have never been there. Is that even a park they allow dirt bikes in? I've never seen it on the list of the states OHRV parks. I have ridden in some local state parks that don't allow bikes before but the only time I do it is at night when it's raining. That's the only time I can be sure there will not be anybody in there

Definitely take it easy on the public roads. People get pissed at bikes or anyone driving recklessly.  Hopefully they're more concerned with thier children's safety than some dude on a dirtbike.

No, its not legal whatsoever, i try not to go too much because of the risk, but thanks for the advice!

2 stroke!, Cape Cod! Non registered! illegal riding area! Good luck.... The Cape is the worst. Now its fall you might have some luck riding but you'll get pinched at some point. I would say you'd have better luck on a 4 stroke, there's nothing discreet about your 2 stroke. How old are you? There are plenty of laws here in MA that are not in your favor, age, registration, private vs public riding, rider safety training etc... best case scenario they make you walk your bike home (unlikely that kind of consideration out of any "public safety" official went away a loooong time ago, back when they would vue you as an actual person..) in the likelihood you get caught, you'll get fined, your bike taken and a possible court date.

Do what you want, I am just an old guy, my days of raising hell and pressing buttons are over, I stick to registered legal riding. As a father of 4 boys I would be ripped if I found my boys doing this, part of the responsibilities we have as riders is to stick to where the tell us we can ride, as hard as this is (especially since we have some really beautiful riding areas here in MA) its the law, and sometimes we have to listen. The other side of it is this, MA is especially uptight.. and every year I am sure the approved trail systems are being reviewed as towards whether they stay available for dirt bikes, if we don't ride responsibly we run the risk of the trails that are available for us to be closed.

If you don't have the means to transport your bike and ride it registered and in an approved area, ask your parents (if this applies to you) or find some buddies who go, pitch in some gas money and hitch a ride with them, or figure out how to outfit your vehicle to accommodate your bike.

We are beaten in our fight to have access to trails, please do your part to keep the ones we do have open. 

HARWICH?? You can't ride in Harwich anymore. We have a place on Long Pond, thankfully our driveway is super long and twisty, I take the kids bikes down so they can at least ride by themselves, but thats it. I know, I too see all those dreamy trails all over the place along rte 6. I daydream of ripping up the sand and can't believe they won't let us enjoy them. 

There is a private track nearby, if you head out the rail trail from the little red store there at the end of Long Pond Rd past the pond on the right is a berm with trees and on the other side is a track, find out who owns it and see if you can ride there.

Check it out

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=harwich+ma&ll=41.738757,-70.07683&spn=0.002282,0.004823&safe=off&hnear=Harwich,+Barnstable,+Massachusetts&gl=us&t=h&z=18

2 stroke!, Cape Cod! Non registered! illegal riding area! Good luck.... The Cape is the worst. Now its fall you might have some luck riding but you'll get pinched at some point. I would say you'd have better luck on a 4 stroke, there's nothing discreet about your 2 stroke. How old are you? There are plenty of laws here in MA that are not in your favor, age, registration, private vs public riding, rider safety training etc... best case scenario they make you walk your bike home (unlikely that kind of consideration out of any "public safety" official went away a loooong time ago, back when they would vue you as an actual person..) in the likelihood you get caught, you'll get fined, your bike taken and a possible court date.

Do what you want, I am just an old guy, my days of raising hell and pressing buttons are over, I stick to registered legal riding. As a father of 4 boys I would be ripped if I found my boys doing this, part of the responsibilities we have as riders is to stick to where the tell us we can ride, as hard as this is (especially since we have some really beautiful riding areas here in MA) its the law, and sometimes we have to listen. The other side of it is this, MA is especially uptight.. and every year I am sure the approved trail systems are being reviewed as towards whether they stay available for dirt bikes, if we don't ride responsibly we run the risk of the trails that are available for us to be closed.

If you don't have the means to transport your bike and ride it registered and in an approved area, ask your parents (if this applies to you) or find some buddies who go, pitch in some gas money and hitch a ride with them, or figure out how to outfit your vehicle to accommodate your bike.

We are beaten in our fight to have access to trails, please do your part to keep the ones we do have open.

Im 15, so yea i have no great way of transporting my bike. I have friends that can drive, but not all of them have trucks. Im actually registering it sonetime... Just have to go to the dmv sometime and give them all the paperwork for it, i have a couple legal places i can ride with my friends, pits and stuff, but i usually bever ride there. Ive decided that i can always just run, hide or vet away somehow, as its too much of a hassle to go legally for the most part. When i go to buy a truck, im selling my bike, so wouldnt be able to bring it off-cape..

Ive decided that i can always just run, hide or vet away somehow, as its too much of a hassle to go legally for the most part.

Just stop. Please for your own sake. Running will only get you so far. You will get scared, try to ride out of your skill level, crash, and it will be much worse for you in the long run. Hiding? You understand where you live right? Massachusetts? They won't give up on attempting to find you. If they can fine you for something they will go to the end of the world to do so. Too much of a hassle? You are definitely 15. It is a 20 minutes process and costs $40 for two years. Then another 5 minutes to apply the numbers. That's not so tough. If you can't ride legally just stop. We don't need anymore places being shutdown/reduced because of kids like yourself.

&%$#@! you YZ. We dont need places to be shut down to riding? First there needs to actually be places to ride. And, you say they wont give up? You say you cant get away? Well i have, 3 times... Not that hard, your just too much of a p u s s y to even try, grow a &%$#@!ing pair of balls. B i t c h

Remember once caught in mass they can and will take your bike and that's forever as you have run before. Yes the laws suck and your fine will start at 250 $ and your mom or dad will have to surrender a drivers license for something you did. So instead of ripping someone on the net take some time to get up to speed and read the laws.

&%$#@! you YZ. We dont need places to be shut down to riding? First there needs to actually be places to ride. And, you say they wont give up? You say you cant get away? Well i have, 3 times... Not that hard, your just too much of a p u s s y to even try, grow a &%$#@!ing pair of balls. B i t c h

Kids these days. Thinking they are all high and mighty through the keyboards. I have had no reason to run because I don't ride where I'm not supposed too. There are places to ride legally so do so. If you and your buddies think its cool to run from the cops go for it. You WILL get caught, your bike WILL get impounded, and you WILL get fined. But please, you seem to be a professional rider so you should have no problem running all the time. Goodthing you are out and far away from my riding areas. Dont need little shits running around.

Kids these days. Thinking they are all high and mighty through the keyboards. I have had no reason to run because I don't ride where I'm not supposed too. There are places to ride legally so do so. If you and your buddies think its cool to run from the cops go for it. You WILL get caught, your bike WILL get impounded, and you WILL get fined. But please, you seem to be a professional rider so you should have no problem running all the time. Goodthing you are out and far away from my riding areas. Dont need little shits running around.

Get mad much? Haha, all that stuff i posted in that postwas complete bullshit, got pissed at you for saying shit. Where i ride, i only ride there if it out of the way, no one around to be disturbed, and if other people who have been there havent had a problem

Get mad much? Haha, all that stuff i posted in that postwas complete bullshit, got pissed at you for saying shit. Where i ride, i only ride there if it out of the way, no one around to be disturbed, and if other people who have been there havent had a problem

I'm not "madbro" trust me. I'm sure all you said was out of rage :lol:;)